Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Felt F95

• 19-06-2010 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

I recently had my Giant FCR 3 stolen. Thankfuly it was insured, and cheque has just arrived in the post so it's time for a replacement, which I'm thikning will be a Felt F95.

Just wondering about the bike itself as I have never heard the brand name before. I really liked my Giant but i'm not so keen on their latest "chunky" frames.

I'm not really going to be competing. It will be for fitness, college etc..

Any advice on this?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

couple of reviews
    http://outside.away.com/outside/gear/200905/outside-cycling-issue-road-bike-reviews-feltf95.html
    http://www.consumersearch.com/road-bikes/felt-f95-team-issue

Here's the F95 on the Felt website. Felt are a good make and supply bikes to the Garmin-Transitions pro tour team. The F95 paint job is based on the Garmin team colours.

Also in the same price range from Felt are the less expensive Z100 or the more expensive Z85. I think the Z85 looks great in the flesh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭techguy

couple of reviews
    http://outside.away.com/outside/gear/200905/outside-cycling-issue-road-bike-reviews-feltf95.html
    http://www.consumersearch.com/road-bikes/felt-f95-team-issue

Here's the F95 on the Felt website. Felt are a good make and supply bikes to the Garmin-Transitions pro tour team. The F95 paint job is based on the Garmin team colours.

Also in the same price range from Felt are the less expensive Z100 or the more expensive Z85. I think the Z85 looks great in the flesh.

Thanks for those links. I've just had a quick scan through them. Both reviews say this bike is suited to "short, fast trips". What exactly is meant by this? Previously, my cycles were about 30km on flat, primary roads. I'm sure this would be short by most cyclists standards.

If this bike is suited to short trips, then what would happen if I went on a "long" trip? Body strain, fatigue etc?

Thanks.

techguy wrote: »
    Thanks for those links. I've just had a quick scan through them. Both reviews say this bike is suited to "short, fast trips". What exactly is meant by this? Previously, my cycles were about 30km on flat, primary roads. I'm sure this would be short by most cyclists standards.

If this bike is suited to short trips, then what would happen if I went on a "long" trip? Body strain, fatigue etc?

Thanks.

They're prob referring to the ride quality. Some frames (carbon ones mostly) are considered to be better at dampening road vibrations which could be good on longer rides. I think the shock absorbance qualities that some frames are reputed to have are waaay overhyped, the tyres and what pressure you pump them up to will have a much much bigger impact on ride quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭Russman

The Z series has a slightly more upright riding position than the F series as far as I know. The implication of the "short fast" journeys is that the position may be a bit more aero than with the Z so if you're a little inflexible in your back it may be slightly uncomfortable - though if you're fitted correctly it won't be an issue............I think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Part of it is that is has "eight-speed rear cassette—as opposed to the broader gearing options of the ten-speed standard"

• Advertisement

Ok, going by the feedback here I am getting the feeling that this bike isn't the best choice for me.

I think I will go with the Giant Defy 4 now. It's a nice bit cheaper and I don't think i'd notice the difference between it and the Felt F95, so the two hundred euro will be better of in my pocket..

What do you guys think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Bit off topic, but was you bike covered under house insurance or did u have seperate insurance for it?? Looking to get a new bike soon myself, possibly the Felt Z100, and would like to have it covered...

unklerosco wrote: »
    Bit off topic, but was you bike covered under house insurance or did u have seperate insurance for it?? Looking to get a new bike soon myself, possibly the Felt Z100, and would like to have it covered...

I had it as an addon to the house policy. It cost an extra €50 to insure my bike and desktop computer for all risks. The bike was insured up to €500 and thats what I got from FBD on Friday. I must say they were pretty quick in processing the claim and everything went fine. I didn't even have to post them anything. Just faxed on a Garda report, orignial receipt and a quote to replace the bike. Got a cheque within one week of faxing.

Hope that helps..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

I got a felt f95 last year and its a brilliant bike. cant say enough good things about it, for the price. Its a great looking bike, although mine is the 2009 version, which it think is a prettier bike. At the moment i'm upgrading to full ultegra, so the only thing i would say is maybe strech to get something with a least tiagra shifters, which does put the f95 out.

Whats your budget, do you have to get it from a particular dealer (ie the BTW scheme)?

Advertisement