Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Bite.

Options
  • 19-06-2010 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

My dog just bit my foot and my mam keeps trying to get to go for a tetanus.
    I thought you only got that if you were bitten by a dog that was not yours- as you don't know where its been etc..

do I need to get one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

I'd get one just to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If it broke the skin, then yes, go and get the bite seen to. Why did your dog bite you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

I really dont wanna get one though :( Do I have to go to A+E for one and wait a million years?
    Yes he broke the skin.. The toe he bit is a bit numb and sore.

I was rubbing him with my foot and he just turned and bit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

You really don't want to get secondary infections, blood poisoning or tetanus either. Call your local GP and ask can they give you a jab at the surgery, and take a look at the bite. It may need a clean and dress and you might need an antibiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I assume you haven't had a tetanus in a long time? They usually give you protection for about a decade so look at the bright side, if you get it today you will be well protected from many infections for the next few years.

A bigger concern, tbh is why the dog bit you while you were rubbing him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

only get one if you have not had one in 5 years , your gp will do it or D doc , and ask if you can have it in your arm or else it is an automatic that it goes ine your bum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

You should probably go to your GP and get the shot (it doesn't really hurt) and he can probably clean it or tell if you should go to A&E (if it needs cleaning to stop it getting infected or antibiotics or whatever.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

If it has been long time since tetanus shot,Your GP will give you the shot.
    I would be better safe than sorry.

I would say the dog bit you because you hurt him without knowing,or has some sort of pain where you touched him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Get the shot, its not like years ago when you had to get the initial shot, then two boosters.

Now its just one shot and your covered, I thought it was a ten year shot now, but someone mentioned five so I'm not sure. Either way its a good thing.

Go for the bum deal if you don't want a dead arm for two days :(

Hope the dog recover's :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I think it's meant to last 10 years, that's what the doctors told me when I got bitten anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

only get one if you have not had one in 5 years , your gp will do it or D doc , and ask if you can have it in your arm or else it is an automatic that it goes ine your bum
    Getting it on your bum is easier it isn't that you are going to have to drop your pants to the floor. They give you a shot on the top of your bum if the right person does it you won't feel a thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I wouldn't recommend getting it your arm! i had one a few years ago in my arm and it makes the muscle really sore for a few days:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

I got the shot.
    Around my hip area, wasnt too sore, but hurting me today :(

Goingg to get the dog checked, think he may have an infection in his ear :(

Advertisement