Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is There a Place with Incredible View Of View Of Dublin City

Options
  • 19-06-2010 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

Just Thinking too myself Is there a place in Dublin that you don't have too pay and you just go up onto the roof and sit down relax and enjoy a view of Dublin city ?

Is there such a place. I know if you owned or rented an apartment you could go too a roof and look around but my place does not have a view.

Does anyone know any good places ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭katie21

The Guinness factory has a good view of dublin... you can sit and relax with a pint in hand :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Dublin Mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

I went up to the top of Liberty Hall last year during the Open House Weekend, a good view of the city for free. Look out for it again later this year, Liberty Hall might be one of the venues again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

There will be a Ferris Wheel at the Point sometime this year, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

WindSock wrote: »
    There will be a Ferris Wheel at the Point sometime this year, I think.

It's half-built at the moment - you can see it from the road! I believe it will be up and running in the next couple of weeks if the OP can wait till then. I'm led to believe that it will be 60m high which is probably about twice the height of the Point (I refuse to refer to it as 'The O2' but that's another days arguement.....!!;))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It's half-built at the moment - you can see it from the road! I believe it will be up and running in the next couple of weeks if the OP can wait till then. I'm led to believe that it will be 60m high which is probably about twice the height of the Point (I refuse to refer to it as 'The O2' but that's another days arguement.....!!;))

No you're right not to, it's the Point Village now. The 'o2' can feck off :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Blue Light pub in Sandyford has a nice view out over the entire city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Is There a Place with Incredible View Of View Of Dublin City

Some of these views are pretty incredible

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055944568

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Head up to the beer gardeen of the Deer Park hotel in howth,especially at night..you can see from clontarf to drogheda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

howth summit, you can almost touch dun laoghaire, it seems so close

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

There's a fantastic view of Dublin from the clubhouse of Corinthians Hockey Club and from the cricket ground in St. Columba's College.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Great view from the Hell Fire Club over the city.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Nice enough view in Deer park near UCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Up at the obelisk on Killiney Hill has a great view of Dublin as a whole.

Might be a bit far out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kelly52

Just Thinking too myself Is there a place in Dublin that you don't have too pay and you just go up onto the roof and sit down relax and enjoy a view of Dublin city ?

Is there such a place. I know if you owned or rented an apartment you could go too a roof and look around but my place does not have a view.

Does anyone know any good places ?
    is cushlawn good r bad ...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

lord lucan wrote: »
    Great view from the Hell Fire Club over the city.:)

Yep. View from up there is stunning and it's not too much of a hike to get there either.

As for views from buildings I've always liked the top of Christ Church more than Guinness and the Jameson chimney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Shielmartin on Howth Hill has a brilliant unobstructed view of the whole city. You can actually see all the way around from Lambay Island in the north to Bray in the south. It's accessed from Carrickbrack Road at the top of the hill after the graveyard and opposite the top of St Fintan's Road. It's a steep climb and there's no beer garden up there! (Try not to disturb the cairns/rock formations there).

Here's location and pic from GEarth:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/3995787
    and the panorama (3MB)

(PS thanks mods for removing the unhelpful comments)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

the view from the car park of total fitness sandyford is class, its just there beside lamb doyles pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

tricky D wrote: »
    Shielmartin on Howth Hill has a brilliant unobstructed view of the whole city. You can actually see all the way around from Lambay Island in the north to Bray in the south. It's accessed from Carrickbrack Road at the top of the hill after the graveyard and opposite the top of St Fintan's Road. It's a steep climb and there's no beer garden up there! (Try not to disturb the cairns/rock formations there).

Here's location and pic from GEarth:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/3995787
    and the panorama (3MB)

(PS thanks mods for removing the unhelpful comments)

Oh I like the look of that. How long would the climb take and would it be possible to do with out hiking boots etc??

Oh I like the look of that. How long would the climb take and would it be possible to do with out hiking boots etc??

Haven't been up there in a while, but it's very steep, so I'd say about 20 mins up. The path is gravelly so sturdy shoes would be advisable. You might also factor in the windiness up there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭muffy

Up near the Naul on what my da calls "The Nags Head", there are some great views. In fairness it is actually quite high... my ears pop. Its more of a panorama of the Northern Suburbs and the lights, it is really pretty though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

It looks gorgeous from Howth with the hills and the bay, but I'd imagine Dublin from a high point in the city centre must look pretty ugly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Just along the road from the Hellfire Club is Killakee Car Park. This location has a fantastic view across much of the city and, in fact, was one of the first "park and ride" facilities for romantic couples ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Google maps or Google Earth links would turn this thread into a keeper.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Up Howth Hill or Dalkey Hill for top notch views. There's car parks up both hill where you can park and view away. Amongst other things. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cozski

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=112560839490423582218.00044e5a6d198c8444437&ll=53.373114,-6.068273&spn=0.004058,0.013797&t=h&z=16

You can drive to the top of Windgate Rd and there's an old utility building at the top where you can sit on the roof. This is the best panorama you get across Dublin and surrounding areas. Take a good quality pair of binoculars and if the light is right you'll also see the Mourne Mountains in the North, The Cooley Mountains, The Isle of Man and the Snowdonia range in Wales. Go at night with you partner and you can enjoy a spectacular view while having a 'spectacular' time... :p

cozski wrote: »
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=112560839490423582218.00044e5a6d198c8444437&ll=53.373114,-6.068273&spn=0.004058,0.013797&t=h&z=16

You can drive to the top of Windgate Rd and there's an old utility building at the top where you can sit on the roof. This is the best panorama you get across Dublin and surrounding areas. Take a good quality pair of binoculars and if the light is right you'll also see the Mourne Mountains in the North, The Cooley Mountains, The Isle of Man and the Snowdonia range in Wales. Go at night with you partner and you can enjoy a spectacular view while having a 'spectacular' time... :p

That's the Ben of Howth. You take the turn off to Green Hallows quarry if the gate hasn't been locked. However it is not the best panorama as Shielmartin is in the way of the view to Dublin City and while Snowdon can be seen only on an exceptionally clear day, it is impossible to see the Isle of Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cozski

Shielmartin only really obscures the Northern end of Bull Island which doesn't really affect the overall panorama. I've seen the Isle of Man many times... but this is only usually first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    It looks gorgeous from Howth with the hills and the bay, but I'd imagine Dublin from a high point in the city centre must look pretty ugly

This photo would beg to differ

• Advertisement

Shielmartin only really obscures the Northern end of Bull Island which doesn't really affect the overall panorama.
    Well it's dark and large enough to spoil any photos imho.
    I've seen the Isle of Man many times... but this is only usually first thing in the morning.
    Well it's a strange one. According to the maths and geography, it shouldn't be possible as the main Isle of Man peaks are just a bit too far over the horizon, but anecdotely, a few say they've seen it. Maybe the early morning air conditions have something to do with it.

Advertisement