Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle in Limerick - Bike Parking

Options
  • 19-06-2010 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

So everyone in out to encourage cycling these days, including the council. One thing that seems to be overlooked is where to leave a bike in the city. I used to lock my bike up in Limerick in my younger days but talking to people now if doesn't end up damaged people will spit on the seats etc.

I wonder would there be interest in setting up some form of bike parking in the city. I would gladly pay an attendant 50c or so. Do you think it could be viable? At the very least a nicely organised set of bike racks outside Debhanams. A least if there a lot of cyclists coming and going to same place people interfering with with the bikes might be easier noticed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

LOL

They just installed bike parking bars outside Burger King not far from your perfect location. They will probably be used more for scumbags sitting on them but they are there nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I don't think it would work, you would need it a security presence for it to be effective and this is coming from someone who has had 4 bikes stolen and vandalised in the past 2 years. The bus station in Limerick next to the train platform is a good place to safely secure a bike. It is inside and the security presence means that new thief is likely to try and steal a bike there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Also outside Supermacs, so i'd say there's a few around town. Also there's poles outside debenhams already for locking bikes to.

Short black poles with a D ring either side for locking a bike to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

a great location would be the carpark area (think its potato market) down near city hall. Its got a full time security attendant and very central. It would be great if city hall could organise it. I've asked a number of time but always get the "we'll look into it". never heard another word about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

This is why i miss the bedfford motor company for 20p back in the day you could lock you bike to a railing in their and twould be safe and dry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

they are talking about stopping parking in the potato market aswell. they want to revamp it after the milk market.

i think a bike park is a great idea. the problem with people in this country is this whole attitude of "it would never work". someone brought up the idea of the bike sharing system. alot of people said it wont work. but it seems to work perfect in Dublin which has ALOT more crime than Limerick(debate for another thread).

here is a bike park in Dublin
    http://www.dublincitycycling.ie/blog/index.php/2009/10/new-cycle-parking-facility-on-drury-street/

perfect example of how it can work. im not saying we need something even close to that size but what about the yard in the back of pennys. that would be a perfect size and would even be easily converted into a parking facility for bicycles. all you need is one security guard at the gate in the hut. if you arent on a bicycle or have a ticket for your bike you cant go in. simple as. it would keep everyones bike safe and they could even charge a euro for parking(doesnt matter if your parking for 1 hour or 1 week it should still be 1 euro).

so stop all this rubbish that it wont work. stop the excuses.

Advertisement