Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Democracy - Where Do You Stand?

Options
  • 19-06-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Guns-N-Roses-Chinese-Democracy-455842.jpg

So, given that Axl is on his way to Irish shores pretty shortly, and given that almost all of the material from Chinese Democracy is being played live on a continual basis, it's time to talk about the album people either love to hate or hate to love.

So what is your opinion of Chinese Democracy, did you ever buy it, or did you just illegally download it (or legally download it) and then delete it. If you bought it, did you sell it, or did you just wait until it was £3 new on Amazon.co.uk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

I bought it when it came out and thought it was very good. Whether it was worth the long wait is another question. Very different to all the albums before it but if Axl was just to rely on the past he would have been criticised. I still listen to it regularly and looking forward to hearing it live in the 02.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

I bought it when it came out, didnt like most of it, and now it's gathering dust on my shelf. This I love is a great song. The rest does nothing for me

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

Waste of 15 yo yos for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

I quite like it. It has a couple of patchy moments but's definitely an album that needs a few repeated listens to get a feel for it - just don't expect the GnR sound of old.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I legally downloaded it but have since deleted it. Gave it plenty of listens in the hope it would grow on me but alas it never did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

He said he was going to release Chinese Democracy parts 2 and 3, I think it was meant to be last year and this year, what gives?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

He said he was going to release Chinese Democracy parts 2 and 3, I think it was meant to be last year and this year, what gives?:confused:

I hope you aren't genuinely shocked!

I bought it it the day before it was officially released and I loved it. That said, I don't listen to it much these days especially in comparison to the older albums so thats not a good sign. Still, Sorry is one of my favourite GnR songs ever. Love Shackler's Revenge, Madagascar and Prostitute as well. Most songs were overworked and most songs I preferred the early demos/live versions (such as Street of Dreams). Some rubbish songs like Rhiad and Scraped as well. He should have just released it as it was around 99-01 and could have been much better and less people would have lost interest.

Buckethead shines on the album. If he was on the current tour it would give the band as much credibility as having Slash (considering they are playing a lot of new songs). But not even having the two lead guitarists or drummer who played most of the new album turns them into even more of a cover band. I'll still go see them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

On top of the disc grinding it into the ground.It is rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

About half the songs are alright/good, the rest are just filler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

nedtheshed wrote: »
    On top of the disc grinding it into the ground.It is rubbish.
    Haha brilliant!! My sentiments exactly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

I bought it soon after it came out. It's different from previous G'n'R albums, but it can't hold a candle to Slash's new album.

Also, having witnessed a classic set by Slash at Download last weekend, I can't be arsed going to the G'n'R gig to watch 3 hrs of costume changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

It's different from previous G'n'R albums, but it can't hold a candle to Slash's new album.

I disagree. I cannot stand Slash's new album, it did nothing for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Death Magnetic = Better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

One of the best albums Warrior Soul have brought out in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Het-Field wrote: »
    Death Magnetic = Better

Only slightly to be fair..

I can see why it divided so many people, as not a huge fan of "classic" G'N'R, I actually really enjoyed the album, Bucketheads guitar plaing is
    fu*king immsense,although the album didnt really have enough substance to maintain my attention over the long term

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Nea wrote: »
    One of the best albums Warrior Soul have brought out in years.

That got a good loud laugh from me. :D

As for the Axl album. Bought it when it came out. Quickly realised that it was a very average and very dull album overall that would have had no hype over it if any other band released it.

It became a dust gatherer and has since been given to a charity shop along with a box of other cds and dvds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I really like street of dreams and catcher in the rye. Apart from those 2 i found the rest of the album pretty rubbish.
    Slash's album is far from brilliant, but there are quite a few great tracks on it, far more than Chinese Democracy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I liked it at 1st but after a while i didnt really take to it. There are a few good songs on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

as Eamon Dunphy might say, 'its a good album, not a great album'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I liked it, a few filler tracks and in some cases the earlier demo versions of the tracks were better but overall I think its good. Its not guns and roses though.

That being said, i think it kicks the **** out of the new slash album. Dunno how everyone thinks that one is so good....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I'd prefer Slash's album anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rgjmce

Patricide wrote: »
    I liked it, a few filler tracks and in some cases the earlier demo versions of the tracks were better but overall I think its good. Its not guns and roses though.

That being said, i think it kicks the **** out of the new slash album. Dunno how everyone thinks that one is so good....

Yeah I love slash's album but he has played better on g'n'r and vr albums but back to the point at hand. Personally I don't like chinese democracy, seems like a huge waste of axls time but I guess he got bored and decided to put it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭sxt

I really like the album but I don't think alot of the songs run well together and it is too overdone/polished on the production .-Better ,this i love and if the world are awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I bought the album, and thought it was alright. It's nothing special. I could proberly listen to it and not want to rip my ears out, and I still happy I bought the album but it's definately their worse album. But i'm not surprised really, I never expected the album to be any better then the past. Ever since the original cast left, things just haven't been the same.

It's funny really, cause I had been eagerly anticipating this album for quite a long time. Everytime I heard the album was being put back or delayed I would get annoyed but now I see I was annoyed for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

I like it!

Have it on CD and vinyl. The artwork is **** though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Soylent_Green

Probably "rushed" it out so that Dr Pepper would have to come good on their promise to give every american a soda. Did they ever follow through with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Probably "rushed" it out so that Dr Pepper would have to come good on their promise to give every american a soda. Did they ever follow through with that?

:pac: yup http://www.wired.com/listening_post/2008/10/dr-pepper-to-ma/

was just thinkin.. the grafitti in the lanes n chav offspring running wild has increased ten fold here in 1 year.

thinkin i need some.. Chinese Democracy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

All of these albums would be far better if they kept it simple, less instruments simpler riffs. They are over thinking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Star Bingo wrote: »

They did, but that didn't stop Axl trying to sue them, when Dr Pepper suddenly realised their "funny" wasn't a joke anymore. An interview with an exec said that idea was brought up because nobody EVER taught he would release the album, sure enough, he did - and then they had to supply free cola

The offer was only good for 2L bottles, there was only two weeks in which to cash it in, and only certain places accepted it....and that was AFTER they sent in the lawyers lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ticketsthere

finbarrk wrote: »
    I'd prefer Slash's album anyway.

Really? I listened to Slash's record back in March and it was sooo boring. So little to get a grip on and basically the album a cartoonist would have come up with.

Chinese Democracy is an incredible piece of work, worth every minute of it’s 14 year production. No denying it's far too over produced in places but the songs are just incredible.

Everyone I've talked to (who likes it) all agree there's a handful of stick in your head, dragged out annoying ones but these seem to differ depending on who you're chatting to.

Street of Dreams, Madagascar, Chinese Democracy, Shackers Revenge, Better, There Was A Time, Scraped, Riad N' The Bedouins, Sorry & This I Love - All brilliant!

Advertisement