Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Error on Mondays Accounting Paper

• 19-06-2010 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

The commission has issued an alert to exam superintendents about an
    editing error in Monday’s Leaving Cert higher accounting exam. The error
    will be corrected by supervisors when the papers are distributed.

Source

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭JoeyBuddy

**** sake. That's all we need now. More precious time taken away from our accounting exam.
    Hopefully it's a question I'm not doing, because errors can confuse me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I wouldn't worry about it. It happens fairly commonly (e.g. French Aural for OL) and usually the mistakes are very small. I think it happened for accounting one year in Q1, in the bank recon adjustment, when whoever wrote the paper accidentally added the cheque not presented instead of subtracting it in order to arrive at the figure 'on the bank statement'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 sarahisdeadly

It could just be something small though.

I mean in pass biology there was an announcement made about an "is" put in for "are" or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Nothing is small when the rest of your life may depend on it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

If the paper was significantly wrong, it would be changed. If there is an error, which there may not be (just because the Irish Times says that it has information on unreleased exams doesn't make it true!) it will only be something like 'The figure of 230 dr on page 6 should actually read 320 dr' or similar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tracert

Yep, there was one on Biology OL I think.

"The fourth word in Qx part x Page x should read "cow" instead of "chicken"."

Happens the whole time and they mention it before you start.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

At least they realised it this time. If you go back to the 08 (I think thats the year) ratio question. The ratios for previous years are completely wrong....
    Our accounting teacher said it is a fairly regular occurence on the account paper that there are errors in it, and they aren't even announced as errors. Only realised by teachers afterwards.... like the JC business I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Would the SEC have announced it before the actual exam starts?. i.e. before 2pm on Monday afternoon?

Oh well, maybe they'll mark whatever question it's on easier?

*crosses fingers

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

do the past papers on www.examinations.ie contain the errors or are they rectified before they go online?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,616 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You should be writing thrillers.........

When you eventually get through the Leaving Cert, ye'll see its NOT the be all and end all.

The errors are usually minor and the supervisor mentions any errors/omissions in the paper before the clock starts - usually take a minute to sort out.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ale-breno

i was told it's an error in Q8/9. Pretty sure it's 9. And I think something in the Q2/3/4 area also, if my sources are correct:)

ale-breno wrote: »
    i was told it's an error in Q8/9. Pretty sure it's 9. And I think something in the Q2/3/4 area also, if my sources are correct:)

How would your 'sources' know this exactly.. I thought the paper was unreleased?. =P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

My sources tell me they've replaced all the questions with published accounts. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

kippy wrote: »
    You should be writing thrillers.........

I do. I get the ending first, then I work backwards.

My sources tell me they've replaced all the questions with published accounts. ;)

Love it?! :D

JK.. I don't have a fricking clue of the published accounts!?

Can you imagine though..

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Apparently figures were wrong in JC business exam too.

You'd think that they would check the LC papers about 20 times though, we're already stressed enough. We had an error on the history paper too and the superintendent was like ''go to page x and y question is wrong blah blah blah'', after a few attempts to tell him it made no difference because we don't even do that book he read it out anyway (no such question was on the paper) and wasted the first 5 minutes of an exam that is tight for time.

Victoria. wrote: »
    We had an error on the history paper too and the superintendent was like ''go to page x and y question is wrong blah blah blah'', after a few attempts to tell him it made no difference because we don't even do that book he read it out anyway (no such question was on the paper) and wasted the first 5 minutes of an exam that is tight for time.

Aren't they not supposed to read the error out before the exam starts, so as to not lose time?
    That's going to be a kick in the face bc accounting is already tight enough

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Aren't they not supposed to read the error out before the exam starts, so as to not lose time?
    That's going to be a kick in the face bc accounting is already tight enough

Well he insisted on doing it when it had started.
    Some of the guys in the class were nearly going to shout stfu you could see it in their faces. History is a nightmare of an exam in the first place too. Maybe ours was just an idiot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I wouldn't worry about it. It happens fairly commonly (e.g. French Aural for OL) and usually the mistakes are very small. I think it happened for accounting one year in Q1, in the bank recon adjustment, when whoever wrote the paper accidentally added the cheque not presented instead of subtracting it in order to arrive at the figure 'on the bank statement'.
    Hold the phone. I was never told about an error in the French aural??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Victoria. wrote: »
    Apparently figures were wrong in JC business exam too.

You'd think that they would check the LC papers about 20 times though, we're already stressed enough. We had an error on the history paper too and the superintendent was like ''go to page x and y question is wrong blah blah blah'', after a few attempts to tell him it made no difference because we don't even do that book he read it out anyway (no such question was on the paper) and wasted the first 5 minutes of an exam that is tight for time.
    I was never told about an error in the history paper either:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

theowen wrote: »

It was on the OL aural paper, very first Q in section 1. Think the question was 'What sort of shop does oliver want to open to:', the examiner just walked around and told us to cross out the second 'to'.

theowen wrote: »

It was announced on my centre, but for OL people

Does anyone know anymore about this supposed error on the Accounting paper?
    Is it on the ordinary or the higher?
    What question?. etc

What I'm confused about is if there's an error, how come we know about it well before the exam starts?

:?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It's in the booklet the superintendents are sent out.

SantryRed wrote: »
    It's in the booklet the superintendents are sent out.

Yes.. that's ok.. But how do WE know about it?.

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 caoimhirino

It was in the Irish Times yesterday... and its higher level that theres the mistake in

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Stryderman

Was there an error? we wer never told about one:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mark.oc

Stryderman wrote: »
    Was there an error? we wer never told about one:eek:
    Only in ordinary level apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 markanthonythom

all the HL paper in south dublin wer messed up. they skipped questions 4 - 8. nd only the OL paper had a typo

• Advertisement

all the HL paper in south dublin wer messed up. they skipped questions 4 - 8. nd only the OL paper had a typo

What do you mean.. The paper was completely missing those questions!?

****, I thought they just changed the format..

JK.. I'm a culchie?! :P

Can't believe I'm finally finished though!? :D

Advertisement