Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Error on Mondays Accounting Paper

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dublin4Life

The Accounting paper was so ****ing hard................ L0L jk I went to the IOE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mad Scone

What do you mean.. The paper was completely missing those questions!?

Yeah they just weren't there like... at all... thought it was a joke at the start!! How could this have happened after the mess with last year's English Paper 2... you'd think they'd be more careful!! We all got messy photocopies of those questions... the exam teacher lady was in a mad panic cos the fax machine in the school was broken and they kept emailing it but it was ending up in the spam folder or something... nightmare!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

SantryRed wrote: »
    It's in the booklet the superintendents are sent out.

Well at least they were given FULL booklets by the sounds from the South Dublin Centres..

I'm a culchie so LOL

(JK, hope the paper went well for everyone. =) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Heard on the radio there a while ago apparently they printed the first 2 or 3 pages over and over or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Victoria. wrote: »
    You'd think that they would check the LC papers about 20 times though ...
    Heard on the radio there a while ago apparently they printed the first 2 or 3 pages over and over or something.
    Sounds like a glitch during the print run.

In fairness, it's very hard to check for those, unless it affects a lot of papers, in which case it will probably be spotted at some stage.

Short of physically checking every single individual paper sent out in every subject ... what are we talking, circa 400,000 papers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

when students got the papers with missing questions these exam papers were taken off them again until the new ones arrived? or were ye left with the first paper to shoot away at question 1? how much time were ye given at the end? after seeing question 1 were ye able to work out stuff in yer head while waiting for the real paper to arrive? or were ye too muddled to do anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

pathway33 wrote: »
    when students got the papers with missing questions these exam papers were taken off them again until the new ones arrived? or were ye left with the first paper to shoot away at question 1? how much time were ye given at the end? after seeing question 1 were ye able to work out stuff in yer head while waiting for the real paper to arrive? or were ye too muddled to do anything?

According to my classmates. Half the paper was missing when they first got it. They were eventually given the remainder of the paper 45 mins later and the three hours ( offical exam time) started then.

Short of physically checking every single individual paper sent out in every subject ... what are we talking, circa 400,000 papers?

When it comes down to it, why should they check the papers?

I forgot.. it's only peoples grades and potential college places they're messing with?

And even the Irish Times knew about an error at least 2 days ago?
    Couldn't they have been making provision to try get more papers printed?

English Paper 2 2009, but on a way small scale? Well they knew about that on Wednesday afternoon/evening and were able to have papers printed and distributed to the WHOLE country by Saturday morning?..

I think it was just the SEC being lax..

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

unknown13 wrote: »
    According to my classmates. Half the paper was missing when they first got it. They were eventually given the remainder of the paper 45 mins later and the three hours ( offical exam time) started then.

So they were able to keep the first paper during that 45 minutes period. Were they allowed to write? If they were that means they got 3 hours 45 minutes for the exam. Hardly fair on the rest of the country :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

So they were able to keep the first paper during that 45 minutes period. Were they allowed to write? If they were that means they got 3 hours 45 minutes for the exam. Hardly fair on the rest of the country :)

They were given the same paper but with the questions they didn't receive. they got 3 hours 45 minutes for the exam. TBH, if you were under those conditions and something was wrong that you didn't have control over you would want some sort of benefit. They got that benefit with 45 minutes extra time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mad Scone

We were told to work on with what we had but some of the other girls were in a right panic so nobody could really concentrate... everyone was just looking around to see if someone was gonna come with more papers cos we weren't even sure if the questions we did have were from the right paper cos of the questions being missing.

Don't think we were given long enough of extra time to be honest... extra half an hour was nothing after only getting the right questions after an hour!

I'm supposed to be celebrating the exams being over but can't stop worrying that the SEC's mess-up might have cost me my precious 600 points!:(

It's all over the radio and all... heard someone from the ISSU saying that the SEC should take it into consideration with the marking scheme so hopefully they'll listen to what the students think! I was just on their website there and some chap commented on the ISSU's article saying it was okay for the SEC to make errors as long as the superintendent read them out and all... easy knowing it hadn't affected him. I totally agree with the ISSU: http://issu.ie/?p=1130

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Those schools have nothing really to worry about. Imagine having your Question 1 done with 3 hours left :)

Those schools have nothing really to worry about. Imagine having your Question 1 done with 3 hours left :)

I know like?!

I found it hard to finish the paper in the 3hrs, would've been happy with an extra 5-10 mins..
    I know it was a VERY bad error on the SECs account, but in fairness if you can't keep yourself calm an do the Q1, then I don't have much sympathy?

There were lots of shocks for people in this years LC apparently, but you just have to get on with it.. Them's is the breaks.

Anyway, I'd say they'll 'adjust' mark accordingly so no-one will lose out?! Plus, b*tching about it won't help, b/c you've already stuck that seal and handed up the booklet (Unless you're school has a REALLY bad photocopier?! )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I forgot.. it's only peoples grades and potential college places they're messing with?

English Paper 2 2009, but on a way small scale? Well they knew about that on Wednesday afternoon/evening and were able to have papers printed and distributed to the WHOLE country by Saturday morning?..

I think it was just the SEC being lax..

:)

Something tells me the error predicted was not the missing sheets, the missing sheets were only noticed when the paper was handed out, did the supervisor read a correction out at the beginning of your exam? If so that is actually the error, and its the usual way for them to rectify mistakes.

Something tells me the error predicted was not the missing sheets, the missing sheets were only noticed when the paper was handed out, did the supervisor read a correction out at the beginning of your exam? If so that is actually the error, and its the usual way for them to rectify mistakes.

Emails were reportedly sent to the affected school BEFORE the exam started?

I wasn't affected, so honestly I don't care all that much?.
    =?

Sounds like a glitch during the print run.

In fairness, it's very hard to check for those, unless it affects a lot of papers, in which case it will probably be spotted at some stage.

Read what I said again.

I didn't say they don't check the papers, ofc they do ... at every stage of the process.

That's how you get announcements re: minor errors which aren't serious enough to merit the whole paper being reprinted.

What I said was that where a glitch occurs in the printing process which only affects a tiny percentage of the papers, it's very hard to combat that.

Even checking samples at random from every bale won't necessarily pick it up.

The only way would be to check every single paper for every single subject individually / one at a time.

Which, given a minimum of 400,000 papers ...
    They do have a surplus of papers printed always.

Re: the Irish Times, are we sure it's the same error that they were on about? If it was, why were they waiting for schools to inform them?

Unless the problem was spotted among the surplus papers, but they didn't know which schools had received the faulty ones, or even if any had?

Look, I don't know all the details here yet and neither do you. I am by no means an apologist for the SEC as should be pretty obvious on this forum.

But there are reasonable and indeed necessary checks which should be made, and even when all those are made, an error can creep through.

Let's wait for the full story before we hang the SEC out to dry on this one! :)

Apparently a correction was read out at the start of the OL exam.

I think you're right, this is a different issue and was totally unexpected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 CosmicLove

We had the dodgy papers today, & the teacher who is responsible for organizing the exams in our school said someone from the Irish Times phoned the school just after the papers were distributed to inform them of the misprint error, not the department of edu!
    She rang the department of edu. and they faxed us the paper.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

There was no correction read out for HL.

There were multiple corrections read out for OL. I wasn't paying attention, but I know there were a few significant corrections, such as changing April to August, and Going to Question 5, Subsection 5, and deleting subsection 5. There were more too. They sound very significant - most of the time the errors they correct were small, and sometimes even insignificant.

Talking to my friends that did pass though none of the corrections fazed them though. However, it still begs the question how well are these papers proof-read?

Advertisement