Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any way to find election results in Dublin?

Options
  • 19-06-2010 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to compare which parties got the most first preference votes in Dublin as a whole in General elections between 1932 and the late 1960's compared to the rest of the country.

At the moment the best resource I can find is this site http://electionsireland.org/results/general/index.cfm

but it's painstakingly slow to add together the votes in each constituancy, and work out the percentages. Is there an easier way to find this information?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Its been years since I looked at anything like this but you need really to visit a library. Ted Nealon former TD & TV journalist) used to produce election books but probably not for the periods you are looking for.

If you are in Dublin you should contact the offices of one of the political parties who are often very helpful or indeed a political journalist with one of the papers.As a student FF & FG were always the most accomadating. So call into a constituency office.

THe librarian at the Institute of Public Adminstration Lansdowne Road would probably help you if you smile sweetly. I called in there once years back and Briget Laffan who worked there at the time even helped me root out stuff.It may even be in their publications.

edit here is one publication which may have what you need to 1948 - I am so out of date looking at data like this but read the sources here as this extract seems to reference what you are looking for too

http://www.tcd.ie/Political_Science/staff/michael_gallagher/IrEls2244SamplePages1.pdf

Advertisement