Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA Lab

Options
  • 19-06-2010 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

Ok Im going to tackle the CCNA

What are the basis I need to setup a working lab.

routers/ switches and so on

ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Oisintarrant

Im doing the ccna too, but just using emulated routers etc.

I just spotted a bunch of cisco routers etc going for free on the free stuff section of adverts.ie if your quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭theone

have a go on a rack rental first before you shell out for a lab,some very good info here http://www.thebryantadvantage.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

nice 1 did you use this on you ccna?

Thanks for links

I'm re-certifying so i didn't get the full ccna package off that website i only rented a bit of rack time and bought todd lammle's book
    it's a pretty good book but if your doing it for your first time you should get Chris's ccna package off his website ,the way he teaches subnetting is pretty good.

whats the story with rack time? is this over a VPN?

• Advertisement

he has his own pod of switches and routers and you connect to them with telnet,so he gives you a telnet address and pw and you connect using a telnet client.If you buy his ccna package you get his lab book as-well or if you just want the lab time then he gives you the lab workbook for free.

nice, do you get access for long? or is there a time limit?

there in blocks of 3 days and 6 days,I'd recommend the 6 days if your not too used to labs the 3 day can be a bit rushed.

It's about €30 for the 3 day one and about €40 for the six day one,his lab workbook is based around those labs.
    Rack Rentals

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

See if you can get your hands on Cisco's Packet Tracer software as it has everything you need to practice for the CCNA. It has more than what you could get with real switches/routers etc as you can set up frame relays etc.

Also there is a table in the CCENT or CCNA Exam Cram book for ip addresses. It shows you the pattern of subnets versus hosts and networks available etc. Learn that off as it will save you a load of time in the exam plus you will fully understand the relationship between the bits and number of subnets/hosts.

nothings better than the real thing though if money's tight then renting out a rack doesn't cost that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

GNS3 / Dynamips

Don't waste your money - you'll want to spend for CCNP/IE

Advertisement