Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Wave Screen Capture????

Options
  • 19-06-2010 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Hi,,
    quickie:
    Got a Wave on loan for a review, and I'm puzzling over the possibility of taking screenshots.... Is there an app? A hidden built-in way? Or using the SDK?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭StaunchyDJ

strecker wrote: »
    Hi,,
    quickie:
    Got a Wave on loan for a review, and I'm puzzling over the possibility of taking screenshots.... Is there an app? A hidden built-in way? Or using the SDK?

Thanks

Menu Button + Lock Button @ the same time should do it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Isn't that the way of doing it on iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

StaunchyDJ wrote: »
    Menu Button + Lock Button @ the same time should do it ;)
    Excellent, mate :) Works!

By the by: all things considered, that Wave is a pretty good phone :eek: I'm puzzle :P

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭StaunchyDJ

Excellent, mate :) Works!

By the by: all things considered, that Wave is a pretty good phone :eek: I'm puzzle :P

Nun Problemo man ;)

She's a good un alright though I'm not too impressed with 1 Widget per HomeScreen :rolleyes: even if you do get 2 they look awfull together :( Though in time I expect it'll get better as it's only just a few days old, ahh the liggle baba :P

She'll do amazing as a Gaming Phone though! EA, Capcom and Gameloft are already signed up and the new Multi "POINT" Touch is amazing for Controls on screen. Notice the highlighted "Point", dunno weather it's for legal reasons or Samsung trying to be different but they're driving home the Point(Pun intended :P) that it's Multi-Point Touch and not Multi Touch. Your guess is as good as mine lol

All in all so far so good, especially for the price range, no other comes close at that price for Speed or Features! Teathering is off the chart :eek: Router up to 3 Wireless Devices :cool: :D :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

As far as multi touch goes, Samsung are probably immune from Apple getting nasty. A very high percentage of the components in the iPhones and iPad are made by Samsung. Apple can not afford to piss off Samsung with a law suit about multi-touch.

• Advertisement

by the way: vodafone's wave is NOT simlocked ;)
    works out of the box with o2 sim; it even configures web settings automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

by the way: vodafone's wave is NOT simlocked ;)
    works out of the box with o2 sim; it even configures web settings automatically.

Its the sim doing settings rather then phone i would say. O2 sims usually do

Davy wrote: »

wasn't aware of that, and on my HD2 and previously on E72 that certainly didn't work so well...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cdc2711

how does it compare to the htc legend or the desire ?

cdc2711 wrote: »
    how does it compare to the htc legend or the desire ?

in what regard?

I haven't used the legend. Compared to Desire screen, though smaller, is crisper. Menus are faster, cam's better. ah, heck, what do you wanna know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Davy wrote: »
    since when?

in what regard?

I haven't used the legend. Compared to Desire screen, though smaller, is crisper. Menus are faster, cam's better. ah, heck, what do you wanna know?

Id like to know if the samsung wave is alright for texting with compared to the htc desire or legend and is it woth the Bada since there are hardly any apps on it . I can get a desire for 340 simfree , a legend for 320 simfree or the wave for 300 locked to Three , which do you think I should go for . Im gonna switch to 3 anyway . I know the wave has really good specs but the screen is a bit narrow and it doesnt have Android . The Legend looks really good and the desire too has really good specs but neither htc's play DivX/Xvid (dont know if you really need that on a phone though or could you watch movies online) and ive heard that htc's give a bit of trouble . Im kind of at a crossroads here and I dont want to go near iphone again because i already had one .

Any "directions" would be great ! Thanks .

Id like to know if the samsung wave is alright for texting with compared to the htc desire or legend and is it woth the Bada since there are hardly any apps on it . I can get a desire for 340 simfree , a legend for 320 simfree or the wave for 300 locked to Three , which do you think I should go for . Im gonna switch to 3 anyway . I know the wave has really good specs but the screen is a bit narrow and it doesnt have Android . The Legend looks really good and the desire too has really good specs but neither htc's play DivX/Xvid (dont know if you really need that on a phone though or could you watch movies online) and ive heard that htc's give a bit of trouble . Im kind of at a crossroads here and I dont want to go near iphone again because i already had one .

Any "directions" would be great ! Thanks .

in landscape the wave's fine for texting; you're right: portrait's a tad narrow. Having said that, I find the keyboard quite accurate. Better than on some bigger-screened phones I've used.

There is a divx/xvid player for android, but I haven't tried it.

The app situation for bada isn't great yet, but it improves daily, and it has good features.

Music sound is only okayish on the wave.
    I'm in a bit of a rush here. Frankly: go for the desire. Wait for the next bada update ;) Wave will be cheaper in 6 months...

THanks for the reply , i was half thinkin the desire myself. I didnt know you could play divx on it though or is there an app for that too .

THanks for the reply , i was half thinkin the desire myself. I didnt know you could play divx on it though or is there an app for that too .
    You're welcome :) Here's my mini-review --->> http://forums.ixplora.com/index.php?showtopic=17805&hl=

I think the Android player for divx is called"rock" something or other. Not sure if it's free though ;)

Thanks , thats a good review by the way , its like GSMarena or techradar or something .

Thanks , thats a good review by the way , its like GSMarena or techradar or something .

Music sound is only okayish on the wave.

Using high quality headphones, mine sounds as good as anything I have heard.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Using high quality headphones, mine sounds as good as anything I have heard.
    hm...well, I used Sennheisers, and as I said in my review, it is good enough to leave your mp3 player at home, but compared to, say, Samsung's Jet, or even Nokia's e72 it is not very loud, and the equaliser doees some odd things (again, could be a fw issue) - bass boost creates a wah wah effect that is unpleasant...and I WAS ASKED TO COMPARE it to Htc's desire which does sound miles better. Having said that: for the price it is pretty good allround. And, surprisingly, I found the sound more satisfying than the X10's which costs a whole lot more.

• Advertisement

hm...well, I used Sennheisers, and as I said in my review, it is good enough to leave your mp3 player at home, but compared to, say, Samsung's Jet, or even Nokia's e72 it is not very loud, and the equaliser doees some odd things (again, could be a fw issue) - bass boost creates a wah wah effect that is unpleasant...and I WAS ASKED TO COMPARE it to Htc's desire which does sound miles better. Having said that: for the price it is pretty good allround. And, surprisingly, I found the sound more satisfying than the X10's which costs a whole lot more.

I am using Sony MDR-D77 headphones. I had a Jet and I wouldn't say it is any less loud than that. I would also say it is as good as my iPod Classic, which isn't surprising to me as the wave is using a Wolfson audio chip. They supplied the D/A converters in the earlier Apple iPods and Laptops.

Saying you found The HTC to be 'miles' better than the Wave is an interesting finding. GSM Arena properly tested the audio quality of quite a number of top end current phones and they found the Wave to be on par with the iPhone, which is on par with iPods. The Desire didn't do as well as the Wave in their audio quality tests, but it is close enough that I doubt there would be much if any audible difference.
    Audio output spells perfection

We did expect the Samsung S8500 Wave to perform well in our traditional audio quality test but the resulst turned close to perfection. Not only is the Bada-pioneer one of the loudest handsets in terms of headphones volume, it is also among the ones with the cleanest output. The Nokia N91 is the only handset that we have ever measured to be noticably louder than the Wave, but it didn't perform as well across the board.
    The frequency response is perfect for the entire audible range and deviation is impossible to detect even in lab conditions. The signal-to-noise ratio is also excellent and so are the dynamic range and the stereo crosstalk.
    The distortions are also neatly kept and the decision to pronounce the S8500 Wave the perfect portable audio player couldn't be much easier than this really.
    TestFrequency responseNoise levelDynamic rangeTHDIMD + NoiseStereo crosstalk Samsung S8500 Wave+0.03 -0.04-90.990.90.016 0.020-92.5 Samsung I9000 Galaxy S+0.03 -0.04-90.790.60.014 0.019-90.6 Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10+0.07 -0.37-85.485.30.018 0.068-83.6 Google Nexus One+0.19, -0.55-86.185.80.0230.088 -85.2 HTC HD2+0.39, -2.99-89.089.10.0570.960-87.5 HTC Legend+0.13 -0.56-83.486.50.024 0.191-83.5 HTC Desire+0.07 -0.39-87.687.70.036 0.080-84.8 Samsung i8910 Omnia HD+1.29 -2.74-87.686.60.0023 0.255-85.2 Apple iPhone 3GS+0.01, -0.05-92.192.10.00350.011 -95.0
    gsmarena_a001.png
    The frequency response of the Samsung S8500 Wave and the Samsung I9000 Galaxy S is perfect
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_s8500_wave-review-480p6.php

Thanks, mate.
    I'm quite aware of that audio test.
    I pointed out the equaliser isue, didn't I?

I do very much assume that the device I was using was buggy in the audio-area. Music was okay unless I used the eq. - any effect/preset added a tinny wah-wah effect. I did try a second unit in C&C in C'bar that didn't have that bug,, but on the occasion I had no opportunity of trying better earphones, so I can't say how loud that handset was. Therefore, I settled for "okay" & "good enough to leave your mp3 player at home"! Out of the box, with default earphones the Desire, HD2, E72 do sound "miles" better (whatever that is gsmarena-units ;) ). And since we're talking "music" that may well be very subjective. I'm all for impressions, you are all for charts :P

Just kidding.

My decision to tell the poster here to go for the Desire was also based on his bringing up "apps"...which to me suggests he's into "apps". It'd be foolish to dismiss that, whatever I think about the appstore-madnes ;)

I say it again: The Wave is definitely a great phone. Personally, I'd prefer it over any current Android phone. But that is me and Google not ever having a meeting of minds ;) ; and I rather have a phone like the Wave that delivers out of the box, than one that sends me on wild-apps-chase.

oh,, and PS: I do remember other reviews that pointed out problems with certain earphones... so, who knows - could've been my cans ???

Advertisement