Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A quick Accounting question

• 19-06-2010 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭

Hello there.
    The time is nigh and I'm just trying to get the last bit of study I can done.

Anyway, my question is : for a Company Account, there's one note that I'm not sure on. It was on the mock and was about stock being destroyed by fire, with insurance covering it.

Any ideas what's to be done in case of stock being destroyed with fire or insurance etc?

Cheers,
    Dooceman.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

You take the stock damaged away from purchases, then if there is damage to the building, you take the labour away from wages, and the materials used away from purchases.

If it says that the insurance are going to cover it, then you put in your current assets, "Insurance Claim Due"

If it says they paid it, then you say wether there was a loss made or not on the insurance.

E.G, if it does 20000 worth of damage, and the inusrance only covers 18000, there is a loss of 2000, that goes in admin expenses if I am correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 sarahisdeadly

That same adjustment came up in 2007 if you want to look up the marking scheme!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Sounds right.
    Thanks a mill!

So say the insurance breaks even with the stock damaged and the labour costs, it goes in as a Current Asset or not in at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

If it breaks even, you could leave it out, or just put it in current assets and have a "-" beside it.

Insurance claim due -

etc.

Cheers lads!
    Appreciate the help.

I'll be a happy man if my company account works out tomorrow (providing it comes up)!

Thanks again.!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

If it breaks even, you do show the insurane in current assets but nothing in administration costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 UndertheMatt

Doocey wrote: »

I'll be a happy man if my company account works out tomorrow (providing it comes up)!

Yeah, i keep thinking that the exam is tomorrow aswell..

Just wanna get it over with. :D

Yeah, i keep thinking that the exam is tomorrow aswell..

Just wanna get it over with. :D

Haha, Tells you how much study I've been doing :eek: :D

One last thing lads.

If a building and stock is destroyed, what's the story there?
    Same as just the stock being destroyed?

Helpful stuff lads, and I'm sure you're answering other students questions too :)

Advertisement