Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anelka to be sent home from WC plus all other France scandal

Comments

bonerm wrote: »
    Didn't that one actually hit Dida on the back tho? (can't remember for sure).

The firecracker in the Chile game in 1989 didn't even touch Rojas yet he was rolling around like he'd been shot. Plus his biggest mistake was trying it against Brazil of all teams. Couldn't see FIFA giving Brazil a ban ever for anything. They are the money.

the flare incident with Dida was in 2005 in the Milan derby in the European cup QF.
    Obviously its had such an effect on him he was 'grateful' not to have not been seriously injured in that game :rolleyes: that he went down clutching his face as if he was shot in parkhead years later, when a idiot of celtic fan tipped him on the shoulder running past the goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Rumours saying that Evra has been dropped for tonights game, with Diarra to be named captain, apparently

isnt he out of the wc ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Rumours saying that Evra has been dropped for tonights game, with Diarra to be named captain, apparently

Nice, some WC experience for Clichy.
    Headshot wrote: »
    isnt he out of the wc ?

I'm assuming he means Alou.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Pro. F wrote: »
    If he wanted Anelka to stay and he let the suits overrule him then that's just more evidence of what a terrible manager he is.

He does want Anelka to say but he CAN'T overrule the FFF. It's not up to him. It was impossible for Anelka to play after the FFF ruled that he had to go home. Saying "just more evidence of what a terrible manager he is" is total nonsense. I think that's an absurd reaction of you to try to blame Domenech for that, you obviously are just looking for ways where everything proves "what a terrible manager he is", when that's a logically incorrect claim in this instance.

He was expelled from the squad by the FFF, he was officially listed as being sent home. Domenech can no more play Anelka than he can play someone who was never in the squad to begin with.
    Did he not use astrology to pick his teams? Was that just a made up story? (honest question)
    If he did use it that way then he deserves ridicule.

No he didn't. These are just rumours and tales going around about his interest in astrology, with the fantastic parts of the story being exaggerated every time.
    It was the performance against Mexico that was truly shocking - one of the worst performances I've seen from a big international team in recent years. Anyway, it's hardly just since the last game that people have been critical of him, he's been an awful manager for years. You defending him is very weird - are yous related?

I still don't think it was nearly as bad as against Algeria and especially not New Zealand. Mexico are a useful team, I would put them on about the same level as USA and maybe Switzerland. It was a very bad result, but both Italy and England much more deserve to be out more than France IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

He does want Anelka to say but he CAN'T overrule the FFF.

He's on the record saying he agreed with the decision.

No he didn't.

The 'rumours' came from a direct quote.
    Domenech wrote:
    "All parameters have to be considered and I have added one by saying there is astrology involved,"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

BBC have confirmed France captain Patrice Evra will NOT be in their team that faces South Africa. According to news agency AFP he's been dropped, rather than is refusing to play.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Frisbee wrote: »
    Nice, some WC experience for Clichy.

You're optimistically assuming he won't put Abidal (or Malouda) in there :D

No he didn't. These are just rumours and tales going around about his interest in astrology, with the fantastic parts of the story being exaggerated every time.

He openly admitted to not strusting Scorpios and basing his decision to choose Dhorasoo over Pires on that.
    "All parameters have to be considered and I have added one by saying there is astrology involved"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Evra, Malouda, Abidal, & Govou are all dropped

According to L'Equipe: Lloris - Sagna, Gallas, Squillaci, Clichy - Gourcuff, A. Diarra (cap.), Diaby - Gignac, Cissé, Ribéry

Henry left out again but at least Govou has been ditched.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Surprised Malouda Has been Dropped

Sports Minister Roselyne Bachelot visited the team on Monday and says she reduced the players to tears. "I asked them: 'How would you like people to remember you? What image do you want to leave behind?'

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cisse :eek:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,271 ✭✭✭✭briany

Liam Brady admitting that he's enjoying what's happening to the French team.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

briany wrote: »
    Liam Brady admitting that he's enjoying what's happening to the French team.....
    :rolleyes:
    ... and so he should. He's hardly going to cheer them on.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Who isn't in all fairness?

I have nothing against them but at least we can see entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So then Henry, Govou, Abidal and Evra were the four senior players supporting Anelka I guess?

eagle eye wrote: »
    So then Henry, Govou, Abidal and Evra were the four senior players supporting Anelka I guess?

Wouldn't look at it judging on team selection, Henry hasn't started a game yet.

Gallas was involved with Anelka and he is still playing as is Ribery. And you left out Malouda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

.... and so he should. As part of the Ireland set-up he was personally cheated by Henry.

• Advertisement

DB10 wrote: »
    Wouldn't look at it judging on team selection, Henry hasn't started a game yet.

Gallas was involved with Anelka and he is still playing as is Ribery. And you left out Malouda.

Cisse over Henry is pretty telling

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Cisse over Henry is pretty telling

Not really when you look at their records this year:

Cisse: 29 Goals - 45 Appearances

Henry: 4 Goals - 32 Appearances

Evra, Malouda, Abidal not on the bench. Big sign there of trouble involving these players.

I rate Cisse alot. More than Gignac anyway.

Henry probably will come on. I still don't think he is involved in this anarchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

you can bet dida didn't get banned for similar antics at celtic park some years ago
    back to the french farce. its very hard to see who will play tonight. This isn't a new thing in France. A similar occurrence happened with Cantona and Ginola's last game in 1993 there was a blame game over who lost the ball before Bulgaria nabbed a winner and put them out of the USA world cup

Neither played again for France IIRC, although I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Not really when you look at their records this year:

Cisse: 29 Goals - 45 Appearances

Henry: 4 Goals - 32 Appearances

Yeah and Gignac hasn't been prolific at all this season.

I think he has 11 goals this year.

• Advertisement

Osu wrote: »
    Yeah and Gignac hasn't been prolific at all this season.

I think he has 11 goals this year.

Gignac gives you a Plan B as he's a big mofo so you can start hoofing it long at him if necessary. Couldn't so the same with Henry.

bonerm wrote: »
    Didn't that one actually hit Dida on the back tho? (can't remember for sure).

i stand corrected, according to wiki, Cantona was captain up to 1995 and 'that' incident. then he recieved an intl ban following. he never made it back. Some lad called erm?....zidane i think ;) took his place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Gignac gives you a Plan B as he's a big mofo so you can start hoofing it long at him if necessary. Couldn't so the same with Henry.

Ah yeah, I agree, but I thought we were just talking about stats!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

He does want Anelka to say but he CAN'T overrule the FFF. It's not up to him. It was impossible for Anelka to play after the FFF ruled that he had to go home. Saying "just more evidence of what a terrible manager he is" is total nonsense. I think that's an absurd reaction of you to try to blame Domenech for that, you obviously are just looking for ways where everything proves "what a terrible manager he is", when that's a logically incorrect claim in this instance.

He was expelled from the squad by the FFF, he was officially listed as being sent home. Domenech can no more play Anelka than he can play someone who was never in the squad to begin with.

He's the manager. Any manager that is allowing his federation/board to call the shots on squad selection/discipline is useless. And as somebody said he ended up giving his consent on the issue. It's all just confirmation of his weak position which is nobodies fault but his own.

Ok so it turns out that he DID use astrology in his squad selection (his quotes posted for you since). So yeah that's shocking funny. No wonder his selections are retarded.
    I still don't think it was nearly as bad as against Algeria and especially not New Zealand. Mexico are a useful team, I would put them on about the same level as USA and maybe Switzerland. It was a very bad result, but both Italy and England much more deserve to be out more than France IMO.

Did you see the Italy NZ match and the France Mexico match? The England Algeria game I'll give you maybe was as bad. But to claim the Italian performance was as bad as the French one is insane.

He's on the record saying he agreed with the decision.

Actually you're right on that, I must have missed that. It seems to be a bit of a change of stance, but he had given Anelka the chance to apologise. I think it's fair enough if Anelka didn't even want to apologise for it, I still feel sorry for him.
    First of all, I would like to specify that the punishment that was handed out to Nicolas Anelka is justified," Domenech said. "I support the federation in this matter. No one can permit themselves to act like that, either in the dressing room or elsewhere."
    However earlier he had wanted to try to get the situation sorted, he didn't want it to go to the FFF at all. It was only later that he said he supported the decision, after Anelka had refused to apologise.
    Domenech felt that he had dealt with the issue and he was ready to move on, pending an apology from Anelka but, like Evra, he was upset that the row was made public. "People cannot imagine the pressure," said Domenech. "We are in a dressing room, the coach says something to a player who is already under pressure, he can react angrily, and with strong words. Anelka did not react in the most suitable fashion, but it was just a guy sitting in his corner and muttering – that would not have mattered had it stayed there.

"What was important was that it made the front page of a newspaper, and that exposes the internal life of the squad. I sorted out the problem internally, and as far as I was concerned it was done and dusted."
    Domenech said that he had "left open the possibility" on Friday for Anelka to apologise but the player was not prepared to do so. "The decision to exclude him, then, was the right one," Domenech said. "I am sorry for the children for whom the French team represents something. Anelka does not have the right to say such things."
    Pro. F wrote:
    Any manager that is allowing his federation/board to call the shots on squad selection/discipline is useless.

It could very well be the FFF that are directly contacting FIFA and have officially withdrawn him from the competition. If so it would be literally impossible for Domenech to field Anelka, at least not any more possible than fielding Christiano Ronaldo. That could be the scenario.
    Pro. F wrote:
    Did you see the Italy NZ match and the France Mexico match? The England Algeria game I'll give you maybe was as bad. But to claim the Italian performance was as bad as the French one is insane.

Are you cracked? The Italy NZ game was significantly worse than even the England Algeria match. The NZ team are easily the worst team in the world cup. They have a number of AMATEUR players in their squad and at least one that plays in the first team.

NZ are a JOKE, they shouldn't be there at all. They only got through because they had no competition in the qualifiers. Algeria may be bad, but they're not a bunch of amateurs or players that are barely professional. According to bookmakers NZ were easily the worst team there.

• Advertisement

No sorry, you've been had Raymond! Give it up. and for god sake keep your eys on the game ye're 2-0 down and getting a battering :D

It could very well be the FFF that are directly contacting FIFA and have officially withdrawn him from the competition. If so it would be literally impossible for Domenech to field Anelka, at least not any more possible than fielding Christiano Ronaldo. That could be the scenario.
    A manager shouldn't be allowing his federation to be making decisions over his head like that. All he has to say is ''listen I call the shots. If you overrule me, I'm off.'' Managers do this all the time. Weak managers don't establish the ground rules and let their federations call the shots.

All that is moot if, in fact, he did want Anelka gone in the end.
    Are you cracked? The Italy NZ game was significantly worse than even the England Algeria match. The NZ team are easily the worst team in the world cup. They have a number of AMATEUR players in their squad and at least one that plays in the first team.

NZ are a JOKE, they shouldn't be there at all. They only got through because they had no competition in the qualifiers. Algeria may be bad, but they're not a bunch of amateurs or players that are barely professional. According to bookmakers NZ were easily the worst team there.

I'll have to assume you haven't watched either of NZ's games then. It doesn't matter who is in the NZ team, they have easily justified their place at the wc. I agree that Italy were bad but France were on another level of shìtness in that Mexico game.

Anyway, lol at somebody trying to make out that Dominech isn't totally inept. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't read it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Apparently this is one of the reasons Ribery hates Gourcoff so much ! I can't believe he actually said this, he has definitely gone down my estimation
    Apparently the unrest in the French camp is down to one man – bullied midfielder Yoann Gourcuff. When chief tormentor Franck Ribery arranged a night out at a ‘gentleman’s club’ for the French players, Gourcuff opted to stay at home. Ribery allegedly confronted him and said: “Does your mother not allow you to go, you homosexual slut?”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Ribery = ugly inside and outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Apparently this is one of the reasons Ribery hates Gourcoff so much ! I can't believe he actually said this, he has definitely gone down my estimation
    Maybe Gourcuff doesn't like the idea of fcuking 17 year old prostitutes like classy Ribery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Poor show Gourcuff, not taking part in team bonding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Now surely the FFF will kick Domenech out?
    Domenech who refused to select Robert Pires because Pires is a scorpio.
    Domenech who refused to accept that Makelele called it a day as it came to his international carreer but had to show up regardless in face of being banned.

I dont think i have ever seen a bigger clown as a manager of a national football team. And i am Dutch, we had Marco van Basten en Frank Rijkaard as national manager so i have seen a few muppets in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

ziggy wrote: »

Yes you are right... i forgot that.

Well.. Domenech is still a clown :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

Is there any reasons why Mexes is never on the final 23 man squad for the Euro/World cup? I do know that Frey is over looked and has retired but I thought Mexes would have earned a place in the team with experience and whatnot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Is there any reasons why Mexes is never on the final 23 man squad for the Euro/World cup? I do know that Frey is over looked and has retired but I thought Mexes would have earned a place in the team with experience and whatnot.

Domenech is thought to dislike Italy based players. Same with the case of Trezeguet.

inforfun wrote: »
    Domenech who refused to select Robert Pires because Pires is a scorpio

Well from what I'm seeing online it appears that he was taking astrology into account. Still though, it's not like he wouldn't play a vital player if he were a scorpio, he might just take it into account. It's not like he just picked the names out of a hat, lol. :p

So maybe he wasn't a great manager, he wasn't a clown of a manager either. He would do much better than probably anyone here, his record shows that he can be a great manager. I don't know if I'd want him to be managing Ireland or a top team I wanted to win, but he's not a "mickey mouse" manager either. He's no Steve Staunton. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Domenech snubs Parreira over alleged Ireland quip

Seems Domenech didn't shake hands with Parreira because of something Parreira said about the France-Ireland match. :pac:

Bad show by Domenech either way.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2010/0622/1224273108278.html

Nice one Carlos!!! :D:D:D

inforfun wrote: »
    I dont think i have ever seen a bigger clown as a manager of a national football team. And i am Dutch, we had Marco van Basten en Frank Rijkaard as national manager so i have seen a few muppets in charge.

Strange, I thought Van Basten had a fairly good run at the job. Was he considered a failure in Holland?

Well from what I'm seeing online it appears that he was taking astrology into account. Still though, it's not like he wouldn't play a vital player if he were a scorpio, he might just take it into account. It's not like he just picked the names out of a hat, lol. :p

So maybe he wasn't a great manager, he wasn't a clown of a manager either. He would do much better than probably anyone here, his record shows that he can be a great manager. I don't know if I'd want him to be managing Ireland or a top team I wanted to win, but he's not a "mickey mouse" manager either. He's no Steve Staunton. :p

Seriously why are you defending him? Any sort of investigation of his time as French manager shows him to have been terrible. Even when you're shown that he used astrology (I mean ASTROLOGY FFS!) as a guide to selecting players you are trying to say that that's not so bad :eek:
    He is better than Stan but that is not saying much.

Seriously why are you defending him? Any sort of investigation of his time as French manager shows him to have been terrible. Even when you're shown that he used astrology (I mean ASTROLOGY FFS!) as a guide to selecting players you are trying to say that that's not so bad :eek:

I'm just saying the man deserves a bit of dignity and respect in his bowing out of the world cup in disasterous circumstances. He tried to get the team together, he thought he had dealt with the Anelka situation, he did his best. And to me he is no disgrace.

When I made the initial post it was when it was highly suspected some of the French players were going to boycott the match and refuse to play, that's when I felt most sorry for Domenech. What a horrible way to end your career, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

As it turned out they did play, and even when they had no chance of coming back, they still played well and defended with dignity for France, and got a goal back. I'm glad they did.

Why am I defending him? I don't accept that as a valid question. I made points about him that I thought were worth making. "Why are you not defending him" is as valid a question. I already gave my views on the astrology point as well, they haven't changed in the meantime.

You're the one who is continually adding something to a discussion that I thought had been finished with. Just accept that people can have different opinions to you. If you're editing posts for originally being too confrontational it sounds to me like you're just looking for an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Is he?

Stan had a squad of largely mediocre players who he was unable to inspire, and made some awful decisions and even worse comments to the media. Never mind some awful runs of luck injury wise. One thing he didnt do, however, was earn the hatred of his players (maybe S Ireland didnt get along with him but fcuk him, he doesnt get along with himself it seems)

Domenech, on the other hand, had a squad with top performing players who all hated him. He picked players based on star signs. He froze out key players. He proposed to his girlfriend during his Euro 2008 final defeat interview on live tv.

Both were tactically inept, but Stan it must be said had, with the players at his disposal, a mildly more respectable campaign.

One thing mind- Domenech was manager of the Under 21s for years before the senior side. Surely most of todays squad had spent years under him in the past? Were there known issues then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Domenech is not as ****e as people are tryin to claim, mad as a bag of snakes-yes, but obviously something to him as a manager, France were a whisker away from winning the last world cup lets not forget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Say lot of rumours about the French are BS.

This worls cup though has really hurt the French and could hurt them for quite some time.

Advertisement