Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anelka to be sent home from WC plus all other France scandal

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Here is a different analysis of what went wrong.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0623/1224273110084.html
    The rift between Gourcuff and several high-profile players, including Nicolas Anelka and Franck Ribery, was the trigger to Les Bleus’ dramatic implosion over the last few days.
    Gourcuff is seemingly from a different mould to the others. Intelligent, polite and well-spoken, the 23-year-old does not fit in with what many in France are calling the “spoilt brat” generation.
    Most of France’s squad grew up in much tougher conditions in the poorest suburbs. Ribery was raised in a run-down council estate in Boulogne-sur-Mer, Eric Abidal lived in one of Lyon’s most deprived areas, while Thierry Henry, William Gallas and Anelka all spent their childhoods in so-called quartiers difficiles outside Paris.
    It is no coincidence these are the players who have frozen Gourcuff out in South Africa. They resent the way the French press builds Gourcuff up as Zinedine Zidane’s successor. They envy the positive attention he receives from the media. They regard him as arrogant and pretentious because he reads books and expresses himself eloquently when analysing a game.
    Raymond Domenech wanted to build his attack around the 2008/09 French Player of the Year, but several senior players objected, pressurising the coach to restore Henry or Florent Malouda to the line-up. In the opening game against Uruguay, Anelka and Ribery made their stance abundantly clear by refusing to pass to Gourcuff.

Seems Domenech didn't have full control over his players and let them decide the team set up. A fateful error for any manager.

Either way he lost a huge amount of respect for his refusal to shake hands with Parreira over comments he made several months ago. Bit of a tantrum on his part really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

bijapos wrote: »
    Domenech snubs Parreira over alleged Ireland quip

Seems Domenech didn't shake hands with Parreira because of something Parreira said about the France-Ireland match. :pac:

Bad show by Domenech either way.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2010/0622/1224273108278.html

Nice one Carlos!!! :D:D:D

There's a brilliant hand pun in there somewhere, but I'm too hungover. Any takers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

NZ are a JOKE, they shouldn't be there at all. They only got through because they had no competition in the qualifiers. Algeria may be bad, but they're not a bunch of amateurs or players that are barely professional. According to bookmakers NZ were easily the worst team there.

Why are you so keen to have a go at New Zealand? They have very much justified their place and have susrprised alot of people who thought they'd ship 3 or 4 goals in every game. They defended superbly against Italy and showed alot more heart in that game than we've seen from a few of their more esteemed competitors. If France had the same kind of team spirit and determination that NZ have shown, they most certainly wouldn't be on a plane back to Paris now.

I'm just saying the man deserves a bit of dignity and respect in his bowing out of the world cup in disasterous circumstances

Well, you reap what you sow. Domenech has not always behaved with alot of dignity himself. His arrogant and condescending attitude after the Henry incident was never going to win him many friends here, and his refusal to shake hands with Parreira yesterday was petty and unsporting to say the least. They are but two examples out of many. Most of his players don't like him, the French public by and large don't like him. There's no doubt this French squad has its share of troublemakers though, and I think Domenech had obviously lost control of the situation long before they ever got on the plane to SA.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Domenech is not as ****e as people are tryin to claim, mad as a bag of snakes-yes, but obviously something to him as a manager, France were a whisker away from winning the last world cup lets not forget.

i think the players were effectively motivating themselves all the way to that final. Zidane was effectively player manager

That useless lump will get all the credit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

i think the players were effectively motivating themselves all the way to that final. Zidane was effectively player manager

That useless lump will get all the credit though.

If you look at Frances finals record under Domenech it doesn't make for good reading. He's had them at 3x tournaments now and other other than their trip to the final in 06 they haven't even managed to get out of the group stages and in the 9 group games in question they only managed to win one solitary game (9, 1-4-4).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Domenech is not as ****e as people are tryin to claim, mad as a bag of snakes-yes, but obviously something to him as a manager, France were a whisker away from winning the last world cup lets not forget.

are you preparing for when he's thrown a bone, and he takes over for us at Liverpool?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'm just saying the man deserves a bit of dignity and respect in his bowing out of the world cup in disasterous circumstances. He tried to get the team together, he thought he had dealt with the Anelka situation, he did his best. And to me he is no disgrace.

When I made the initial post it was when it was highly suspected some of the French players were going to boycott the match and refuse to play, that's when I felt most sorry for Domenech. What a horrible way to end your career, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

As it turned out they did play, and even when they had no chance of coming back, they still played well and defended with dignity for France, and got a goal back. I'm glad they did.

Why am I defending him? I don't accept that as a valid question. I made points about him that I thought were worth making. "Why are you not defending him" is as valid a question. I already gave my views on the astrology point as well, they haven't changed in the meantime.

You're the one who is continually adding something to a discussion that I thought had been finished with. Just accept that people can have different opinions to you.
    What you call ''continually adding something to a discussion'' is actually just carrying on the discussion because I disagreed with what you were saying and think your points weren't logical. This is a discussion board after all, not an opinion board. Anyway, the discussion was fun while it lasted.
    If you're editing posts for originally being too confrontational it sounds to me like you're just looking for an argument.
    Only in opposite world.
    Sure Scolarai won a world cup (and two Copa Libertadores) and he's a useless manager.

Dominech had Zidane, Henry, Vierra, Makalele and others in 06. And (I'm open to correction on this) the team only got going when the senior players started calling the shots and ignoring his nonsense management. From what I remember the team did well inspite of, rather than because of him.
    When you consider the amount and quality of players he's had at his disposal during his tenure and still all the poor performances they have had he has done terribly tbh.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Evra is giving an interview in an hour where he will "tell all" apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Evra is giving an interview in an hour where he will "tell all" apparently.

Either he's lying or his agent hasn't informed him yet that there's a book in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

bonerm wrote: »
    Either he's lying or his agent hasn't informed him yet that there's a book in it.

This is the teaser before the book, to make you want to buy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

While yes, he is due to, he's yet to officially put pen to paper!

Advertisement