Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

loose stem

• 19-06-2010 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

Ok so I changed the stem on the bike earlier.

It is now a bit loose. I dont know the terms for things so I'm sticking a photo in.

[IMG][/img]stem.jpg

Item B used to be down where Items C are. There was four of these little things like spacers, 2x 5mm, 1x10mm and 1x 15 mmm (i'm guessing, didn't measure).

So when I changed the stem I removed one of the spacers as well. I put everything back together but the stem was loose (loose where items C join the frame).

So I then put item B back on top of the new stem where it is in the picture. The guy in the shop said I might have to do this depending on my bike. However this hasn't changed things. Its still loose. All the nuts are tightened very well.

Items C can now me moved around, if that makes sense - like a ring on your finger if you know what i mean ???

Item A did not come with the new stem, it is the original from the bike.

Can anyone tell me where I've gone wrong ?????

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

loosen the 2 bolts on the stem. then loosen the nut on the top cap....(the one you have marked a). Put a small bit of pressure on the stem and I mean small so it is just enough to stop the spacers underneath the stem from moving.While applying the pressure tighten the stem slowly alternating between top and bottom ie dont tighten 1 fully then the other.Dont overtighten. then slowly and gently tighten the the top cap bolt till its just pinch tight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

+1 on what bcmf has posted. Heres a video link to give you a hand http://www.ehow.com/video_4975588_adjust-bikes-headset.html

The new stem might be a fraction smaller in the vertical direction, you might need another spacer. The top cap (item A) needs to be pressing down on the stack of spacers/stem NOT on the steerer tube inside them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

bcmf wrote: »
    loosen the 2 bolts on the stem. then loosen the nut on the top cap....(the one you have marked a). Put a small bit of pressure on the stem and I mean small so it is just enough to stop the spacers underneath the stem from moving.While applying the pressure tighten the stem slowly alternating between top and bottom ie dont tighten 1 fully then the other.Dont overtighten. then slowly and gently tighten the the top cap bolt till its just pinch tight

Thank you. I've done that now and it is better but there is still a very small bit of movement :( i've tried it three or four times there.

The new stem might be a fraction smaller in the vertical direction, you might need another spacer. The top cap (item A) needs to be pressing down on the stack of spacers/stem NOT on the steerer tube inside them.

yeah it is pressing down on the stem alright, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Loosen stem bolts, tighten top cap bolt until play is removed, retighten stem bolts. Check by pulling front brake and rocking bike forward/backward, repeat with wheel turned to 90 degrees, if there is no play the job is done. The top cap only serves to put the initial pressure on the bearings, after that you could theoretically remove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

lescol wrote: »
    Loosen stem bolts, tighten top cap bolt until play is removed, retighten stem bolts. Check by pulling front brake and rocking bike forward/backward, repeat with wheel turned to 90 degrees, if there is no play the job is done. The top cap only serves to put the initial pressure on the bearings, after that you could theoretically remove it.

Thank you Sir :D

Advertisement