Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technology, (HL) What do you think?

• 19-06-2010 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭

What did everyone get in the mocks?? I got 71% by teaching myself. There are 18 in my class. 4 of us have interest in the subject. There is a massive gulf in us 4 and the rest or so it was in the mocks anyhow. With the 4 of us getting between 65-78% and then 10 others failing and 4 getting pass on the honours paper. Our teacher never did any theory with us, it was either practical or he was out.

My project was pretty bad, We only got our materials in with around 4 weeks before the deadline, we were afforded 2 weeks after the deadline to continue making them because of this. My folder was very good, I made sure as I needed a good 23/24% on it. Thats why it was 140 pages :P:P !! Hopefully I got around 40% from my project and then hopefully another 40-45 from the theory so a B1 or an A2 HOPEFULLY :D

SO what do you think? will it be easy?? I liked the mock paper we got and hopefully the real thing goes along the same lines.....

Are you doing much study for it?? I've only got construction and Technology left so all my time is devoted to the two of them!

GOOD LUCK IN TECHNOLOGY ANYHOW :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mahonykid

double GG wrote: »
    out.
    Thats why it was 140 pages :P:P !!

140 pages :eek: thats overkill.i only had 40 in mine and the teacher said it was worth an A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

I'm in the same boat as you subject wise, I'm just after downloading the syllabus and going to learn from that using notes/the ****ty book/the internet.

Hoping to get like 45% on my project (not likely though =/) and ace the written to get an A1, though probably only get and B1 or A2.

I got about 76% in the mox with minimal study, loving the fact we have it last so I can study more I just wish we had more resources and papers to go by =/

Of the 140 pages, how many pages were dedicated to the manufacturing...and what was your font size? I got 65 pages done with 14 font and about 15-18 pages on manufacturing with pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Crow92 wrote: »
    Of the 140 pages, how many pages were dedicated to the manufacturing...and what was your font size? I got 65 pages done with 14 font and about 15-18 pages on manufacturing with pictures?

On font 14. I had about 24 on manufacturing. I just did everything it said on the brief and more :):D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

What sections are ye covering? Did ye use the PICAXE in the project?

• Advertisement

NotExactly wrote: »
    What sections are ye covering? Did ye use the PICAXE in the project?

You mean in the options?? ICT and Materials.

No we didn't use the "Pic" Boards, one of three classes in my school did, every student in that particular class did.

Materials and ICT aswell.

and for my project I used a Genie E18 motorboard.

That must be some long project, what did you manufacture?

You mean in the options?? ICT and Materials.

No we didn't use the "Pic" Boards, one of three classes in my school did, every student in that particular class did.
    Materials and ICT aswell.

and for my project I used a Genie E18 motorboard.

That must be some long project, what did you manufacture?

Yeah the Options. What's materials like? I'm doing ICT and applied control,It overlaps with the Pic board that we used in the project. There is three Technology classes in your school? Whats the Genie e18 motor boards like to use?
    What design did ye use for yere projects? Do ye have a CNC router?Sorry for all the questions..just curious:D

On font 14. I had about 24 on manufacturing. I just did everything it said on the brief and more :):D;)

You may loose a mark for presentation :D

You should have used font 14 for main headings, font 12 for sub headings and font 11 for the other text.:rolleyes: would have saved the examiner trawling through 140 pages as well .:P

Yeah the Options. What's materials like? I'm doing ICT and applied control,It overlaps with the Pic board that we used in the project. There is three Technology classes in your school? Whats the Genie e18 motor boards like to use?
    What design did ye use for yere projects? Do ye have a CNC router?Sorry for all the questions..just curious:D

Materials is probably the easiest for me since I did wood work and technology in the Junior Cert, It helps a lot ;). It's basically every material you can think of, what they are used for, how they are made etc.....

Yeah three classes, Gorey Community school ;)

My project i simply used a seating area with a boxing ring and a simple LED voting system :o:o ..... Many were based on concerts and t.v game shows etc.. A few made sports ones.... A good bit of variation......

Yeah theres two in our school i think.. :)

• Advertisement

Materials is probably the easiest for me since I did wood work and technology in the Junior Cert, It helps a lot ;). It's basically every material you can think of, what they are used for, how they are made etc.....

Yeah three classes, Gorey Community school ;)

My project i simply used a seating area with a boxing ring and a simple LED voting system :o:o ..... Many were based on concerts and t.v game shows etc.. A few made sports ones.... A good bit of variation......

Yeah theres two in our school i think.. :)

:eek: Yeah Materials sounds handy enough. The average mark was the highest for that last year out of the options :eek: 71% attempted it & the average mark was 62.5% sounds easy allright. But I still feel Applied control and ICT were the best to do because of the PIC from the project and ICT is easy :D
    There must be loads of people in your year if their is three classes?
    How were the LED's triggered ?

You may loose a mark for presentation :D

You should have used font 14 for main headings, font 12 for sub headings and font 11 for the other text.:rolleyes: would have saved the examiner trawling through 140 pages as well .:P

Just after reading that comment I checked my porfolio and it's 12 font lol.

For my project I made a stage with a castle and little figurines.

There is a seating area with 3 seats.

It's a play where you decided whether the army attacks at day or night.

There is a sun and moon behind the stage running off the same motor.

If they vote day then an L.E.D lights up the sun and the sound pezzo plays a tune ( can't remember it's name)

If they vote night then the motor turns on and the moon starts moving around. That hits a switch to stop the motor. The moon stays in place whilst brahms lullaby plays and then the motor reverses back to the sun.

I hope that not too confusing. Here's a pick of it anways.

projects061.jpg

If they vote day then an L.E.D lights up the sun and the sound pezzo plays a tune ( can't remember it's name)

If they vote night then the motor turns on and the moon starts moving around. That hits a switch to stop the motor. The moon stays in place whilst brahms lullaby plays and then the motor reverses back to the sun.

projects061.jpg

Thats a very nice design! Better than everyone in my school anyhow :p

:eek: Yeah Materials sounds handy enough. The average mark was the highest for that last year out of the options :eek: 71% attempted it & the average mark was 62.5% sounds easy allright. But I still feel Applied control and ICT were the best to do because of the PIC from the project and ICT is easy :D
    There must be loads of people in your year if their is three classes?
    How were the LED's triggered ?

I think around 270 students or so give or take a few.

By simple switches placed on the sides of each seat of certain individual audience members. (5 member) and I had 5 blue and 5 red LED's and each member could vote on who they thought would win, fairly basic alright I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 xAnnex

projects061.jpg

Wow nice project! I'm amazed how good the 6th years projects are. Hope I'll be able to do as well next year ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

I did technology for the JC, but my school nor any other school in my town did technology for the leaving cert!! I was furious, they never told us in 1st year, was such a waste!! Is it true that you guys are the first year doing technology at the leaving cert?

projects061.jpg

Don't mean to be critical or anything but does an audience actually enhance the performance area? Does the audience use the figurines to attack?:rolleyes: and the design isn't really contemporary(in the brief) either,l mean if you took away the figurines and the trees it's all basic shapes.

But..

Idea is very original and I bet no one else in the Country has it :rolleyes:
    Fair play looks well (esp the blue see thru acrylic) :D

muffinz wrote: »
    I did technology for the JC, but my school nor any other school in my town did technology for the leaving cert!! I was furious, they never told us in 1st year, was such a waste!! Is it true that you guys are the first year doing technology at the leaving cert?

No we are the second year of doing Techno at L.C :D

Don't mean to be critical or anything but does an audience actually enhance the performance area? Does the audience use the figurines to attack?:rolleyes: and the design isn't really contemporary(in the brief) either,l mean if you took away the figurines and the trees it's all basic shapes.

But..

Idea is very original and I bet no one else in the Country has it :rolleyes:
    Fair play looks well (esp the blue see thru acrylic) :D

No I get what you mean. My take on the brief was that the audience would interact by deciding the next scene in the play, it would effect the dynamics of the storyline. In this scene the dynamic feature of the stage was the sun and moon combination moving depending on the outcome of the voting. The project is a single scene based on a narractive structures like pick your own ending books or most video games that will lead to multiple endings

As for contempory in design, it's not ;) But I hope that would hinder them too much, I may get a nice old fashioned examiner.:D

Anyone else have any pics of theirs??

As for contempory in design, it's not ;) But I hope that would hinder them too much, I may get a nice old fashioned examiner.:D

Technology + Old fashioned Examiner = unlikely :D

Technology + Old fashioned Examiner = unlikely :D

You've never met the malahide tech teacher? Pretty old fashioned:P

Sure the teacher marks the projects and an examiner just checks to see if it's grand lol.

• Advertisement

Sure the teacher marks the projects and an examiner just checks to see if it's grand lol.

Really ? :O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Lol
    hahahaha. 140 pages long. Lol

dude the project itself is 20%.
    The portfolio is 5% making it 25% altogether.

140 pages is way to long. You'll just piss the examiner off.

What did everyone get in the mocks?? I got 71% by teaching myself. There are 18 in my class. 4 of us have interest in the subject. There is a massive gulf in us 4 and the rest or so it was in the mocks anyhow. With the 4 of us getting between 65-78% and then 10 others failing and 4 getting pass on the honours paper. Our teacher never did any theory with us, it was either practical or he was out.

My project was pretty bad, We only got our materials in with around 4 weeks before the deadline, we were afforded 2 weeks after the deadline to continue making them because of this. My folder was very good, I made sure as I needed a good 23/24% on it. Thats why it was 140 pages :P:P !! Hopefully I got around 40% from my project and then hopefully another 40-45 from the theory so a B1 or an A2 HOPEFULLY :D

SO what do you think? will it be easy?? I liked the mock paper we got and hopefully the real thing goes along the same lines.....

Are you doing much study for it?? I've only got construction and Technology left so all my time is devoted to the two of them!

GOOD LUCK IN TECHNOLOGY ANYHOW :)

Lol

The Portfolio is 25%.

Lol

I don't know what subject your doing but in technology its 25% for the portfolio and 25% for the artefact :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Sry I thought enginnering was technology. But 140 pages is still way too long.

But I simply was sticking with the brief.

I had a lot of research on materials, existing solutions, analysis of the thematic brief, the letters I sent off. There was a lot you could research on this particular topic.

All the restraints, time budget etc.. and how I aimed to keep within these borders...

The environmental impact of wood and plastic and how it affects our world...

Then all the drawings, sketches, working drawings, solid works drawings, exploded views, flow charts, circuit diagrams....

Then the Gantt Charts for the folder, for the manufacturing and then the revised Gantt Charts for both of them, the costing sheets.

Then Material lists, work breakdown structures......

Then the manufacturing, including pictures of every stage (24 pages)

Then my overall evaluation if every part of my project, Self evaluation, modifications and a critical reflection on everything

These are just some of the things I wrote about, I thought 140 pages was sufficient, if you think it was too much then so be it, no skin off my teeth to be honest :)

You never heard of Technology the subject?:D

You never heard of Technology the subject?:D

Not all schools have it so.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 timt

Im doin it myself too. only did 48 pages for the folio, and got 75 in the mocks on the written. Did anyone else make a music stage?

• Advertisement

timt wrote: »
    Im doin it myself too. only did 48 pages for the folio, and got 75 in the mocks on the written. Did anyone else make a music stage?

A lot of people in my school, did a music stage.

Advertisement