Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri colour collie issues

Options
  • 19-06-2010 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭

We got our dog as a pup of about 5 months old.He is now 2 years old.
    I had him trained very well.But it all changed.
    Now he barks no matter how many times i have corrected him when someone comes to door.
    He pulls on the lead.I cant let him off lead as he wont come back.You have to be out of sight before he will look for you.
    I cant let him near other dogs,and don't know how to stop his aggressiveness towards other dogs.
    When kids are fighting he nips at them.
    He tries to get up on everyone also.
    And is peeing all over place also nervous or excited.

As much help as possible please.

p.s i am getting him snip so wondering how long that takes and will he have to stay with them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Has something in your circumstances changed? It doesn't sound right for a well trained dog to lose all of his training like that! If you can't pinpoint anything it may be worth speaking to your vet when he is in for his op.

On that note when my boy had his op done I dropped him off in the morning and collected him about 4 in the afternoon, apart from being a bit sleepy he came through it fine :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Has something in your circumstances changed? It doesn't sound right for a well trained dog to lose all of his training like that! If you can't pinpoint anything it may be worth speaking to your vet when he is in for his op.

On that note when my boy had his op done I dropped him off in the morning and collected him about 4 in the afternoon, apart from being a bit sleepy he came through it fine :D

No nothing has changed in our house.He got attacked a couple of times by other dogs.Thats about only thing i can think of.
    Its like having a pup all over again.Its very tiring.:(
    Thanks I was wondering how long it takes.Sleepy would be great to see on my dog for a change.:D If you are sitting down you cant even move with out him jumping up and following you.

I would imagine being attacked is what's caused him to regress, poor mite. Do you have any friendly dogs you know who could help him relearn to trust other dogs?

It is so disheartening to see all your hard work seem to go to waste, sounds like you are back at the begining of the training cycle again, but at least as he has learnt it once you know he has the capacity to learn again.

Would you consider getting one of the DAP plugins for him? Someone on here recommended it to me for my springer when I move in a few weeks to help reduce his stress levels and I have since researched it and it looks very positive.

Good luck with him and enjoy your evening of peace after his op :D

I would imagine being attacked is what's caused him to regress, poor mite. Do you have any friendly dogs you know who could help him relearn to trust other dogs?

It is so disheartening to see all your hard work seem to go to waste, sounds like you are back at the begining of the training cycle again, but at least as he has learnt it once you know he has the capacity to learn again.

Would you consider getting one of the DAP plugins for him? Someone on here recommended it to me for my springer when I move in a few weeks to help reduce his stress levels and I have since researched it and it looks very positive.

Good luck with him and enjoy your evening of peace after his op :D

There is one dog but female and he tries to get up on her all the time even when not in heat.All other dogs i have tried let him sniff but he does it quietly then goes for them.
    Thanks alot i had'nt heard of the dap plug ins.That could be good idea until balance is regained.Its a very tiring not fun walk at all anymore.
    Could the dap collar come in handy there also?

Thanks i am hoping that will calm him down also and stop him from getting up on people:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Kalahari

Now he barks no matter how many times i have corrected him when someone comes to door.

Collies are quite protective of their owners, but if this is a new behaviour then you'll need to work with him and get someone to keep coming to the door over and over while you train him to keep back and be silent.
    He pulls on the lead. I cant let him off lead as he wont come back.You have to be out of sight before he will look for you.
    I cant let him near other dogs,and don't know how to stop his aggressiveness towards other dogs.

A harness might be easier to keep him under control on the lead and train him to heel. If he doesn't respond to recall then you'll need to put time aside to work with him on a long lead. You can get training ropes about 10m+ long and attach to the collar while you teach him to come back when called and give him a treat each time.

I think almost all of the issues could be tackled relatively easily if you clicker train him. Collies respond very readily to clicker training and it is the easiest way to show him what is good behaviour and he will soon differentiate between what he is allowed to do and not allowed to do.

For example, say you have him on a long lead and are calling him to come back, and he doesn't. You pull him back towards you gently and when he is by your side you click and give a treat. Then let him wander further off again and repeat. Soon you should see him coming to you when you call because he'll understand it is what you want and he will get a treat for it. Eventually collies treat the click itself as the treat and are delighted to have done something to earn it, so you don't always need to carry treats around. It is important to not rush things though. You'd need to spend a while simply teaching him to associate the click with something good. Best way to start that is stuff like going over commands he already knows, like sit. So you say SIT. Dog sits. CLICK + treat. Repeat. Then later expand it to other things.

As for the peeing nervously/excited, we had a problem with our westie doing that no matter how often he was let outside and the only thing that worked to stop it was basically try not to excite him inside. It usually happened when we were coming home after being out, so instead of greeting him and playing with him the moment we got in, we started basically just calmly walking in, putting the shopping on the counters, then calmly saying hi and giving a gentle pat on the head, and then after a few minutes once he was over the initial excitement it would be ok to fuss over him and he wouldn't pee.

Hope some of this helps. I can't recommend clicker training strongly enough, especially for a collie. They live to work so they love being able to know they are doing something good.

• Advertisement

caseyann wrote: »
    There is one dog but female and he tries to get up on her all the time even when not in heat.All other dogs i have tried let him sniff but he does it quietly then goes for them.
    Thanks alot i had'nt heard of the dap plug ins.That could be good idea until balance is regained.Its a very tiring not fun walk at all anymore.
    Could the dap collar come in handy there also?

Thanks i am hoping that will calm him down also and stop him from getting up on people:D

You will probably find that some of his issues go away when he is snipped, sounds like he has far too many hormones hopping around:D My guy stopped trying to mount everything as soon as he was done.
    Yes the dap collar works on the same principle as the plug in.
    I have my Springer on a herbal supplement to try and help him, he is a very nervy stressed dog due to his abusive first few years and that is helping him.

Good luck with him.

Kalahari wrote: »
    Collies are quite protective of their owners, but if this is a new behaviour then you'll need to work with him and get someone to keep coming to the door over and over while you train him to keep back and be silent.

A harness might be easier to keep him under control on the lead and train him to heel. If he doesn't respond to recall then you'll need to put time aside to work with him on a long lead. You can get training ropes about 10m+ long and attach to the collar while you teach him to come back when called and give him a treat each time.

I think almost all of the issues could be tackled relatively easily if you clicker train him. Collies respond very readily to clicker training and it is the easiest way to show him what is good behaviour and he will soon differentiate between what he is allowed to do and not allowed to do.

For example, say you have him on a long lead and are calling him to come back, and he doesn't. You pull him back towards you gently and when he is by your side you click and give a treat. Then let him wander further off again and repeat. Soon you should see him coming to you when you call because he'll understand it is what you want and he will get a treat for it. Eventually collies treat the click itself as the treat and are delighted to have done something to earn it, so you don't always need to carry treats around. It is important to not rush things though. You'd need to spend a while simply teaching him to associate the click with something good. Best way to start that is stuff like going over commands he already knows, like sit. So you say SIT. Dog sits. CLICK + treat. Repeat. Then later expand it to other things.

As for the peeing nervously/excited, we had a problem with our westie doing that no matter how often he was let outside and the only thing that worked to stop it was basically try not to excite him inside. It usually happened when we were coming home after being out, so instead of greeting him and playing with him the moment we got in, we started basically just calmly walking in, putting the shopping on the counters, then calmly saying hi and giving a gentle pat on the head, and then after a few minutes once he was over the initial excitement it would be ok to fuss over him and he wouldn't pee.

Hope some of this helps. I can't recommend clicker training strongly enough, especially for a collie. They live to work so they love being able to know they are doing something good.

Thanks alot i will try the clicker.I can get them in any pet shops?
    That was alot help thanks for taking time.
    It gets very stressful when before was great to be around and walk and now its like a job every second.
    The barking was only recent and escalated.
    I did catch kids banging on the window before.I don't know if they had been doing it when i wasn't here and he was in the house alone.Could that be another factor?

I did try a harness before he broke it and was worse pulling on it.
    The long lead and clicker i will try thanks alot:)

You will probably find that some of his issues go away when he is snipped, sounds like he has far too many hormones hopping around:D My guy stopped trying to mount everything as soon as he was done.
    Yes the dap collar works on the same principle as the plug in.
    I have my Springer on a herbal supplement to try and help him, he is a very nervy stressed dog due to his abusive first few years and that is helping him.

Good luck with him.

I am luckily only person he doesn't try it on,everyone else is a must have :D
    That is great to hear it would be whole lot easier with the hormones under control i hope with retraining.
    Awwwww he was abused i am sorry to hear that poor little thing:(
    Good luck with your dog also.Thanks alot for putting in your time for replies.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Kalahari

You should be able to get one in a pet shop, and they often come with a little treat bag to keep the treats in. A multi-clicker is great because you can adjust the click to a volume that suits your dog. They are a couple of euro on zooplus.ie if you can't find one locally. :)

Yeah i'd say kids banging on the window would probably be a factor in barking at the door. Maybe when you are out you could close the door to the room with the window or something.

Good luck with his op, males are usually right as rain the next day as it's a much smaller op than a female's spay. The vet will probably tell you to keep him in a bit more for the following 10 days and not to let him get too excited or boisterous until the stitches come out.

Kalahari wrote: »
    You should be able to get one in a pet shop, and they often come with a little treat bag to keep the treats in. A multi-clicker is great because you can adjust the click to a volume that suits your dog. They are a couple of euro on zooplus.ie if you can't find one locally. :)

Yeah i'd say kids banging on the window would probably be a factor in barking at the door. Maybe when you are out you could close the door to the room with the window or something.

Good luck with his op, males are usually right as rain the next day as it's a much smaller op than a female's spay. The vet will probably tell you to keep him in a bit more for the following 10 days and not to let him get too excited or boisterous until the stitches come out.

He is such a good natured dog i would hate to see him get worse.Get worried he might snap at some kid or hurt someone else's dog.
    He never used to head is about to explode with the barking,i can get him to stop but he shouldn't be barking so much when people knock and we are in.That's one of the many goals:D
    Thanks alot i will go out and get one of them this week :)

• Advertisement

I have all my fingers crossed for you, please keep us updated on how you're getting on with him :)

I have all my fingers crossed for you, please keep us updated on how you're getting on with him :)

I will thanks again :).He is right now as quiet as mouse the hot weather comes in handy more ways than one:D

Advertisement