Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17 and 22

Options
  • 19-06-2010 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I wondering about the above. I have a .17hrm and love it also have 12g and .22 air-rifle. I was in a dealers today and a s/a .22 remmey was hand in for sale. I had a look at it and tbh it struck a cord with me.

My question is would having a .22lr be any advantage to me as a hunter. I'm not a member of so I won't be doing any target with it. I have not taken any foxes with the .17 yet, I'm aware of the debate about it as a suitable round for that quarry.

My understanding is that whilst some people use larger rounds for foxes like .223 and upwards that a .22lr is suitable at 100 to maybe 120-50 yrds with a head shot am I correct in this? I'm also think that it might be a handy addition to use on the days when the wind is kicking off as that does effect the .17hmr

I have been on a huge learning curve in the past two years around firearms thanks to you guys here, but I don't really know any other hunters in my area so most of my stuff is done alone. I suppose I don't have other shooters to bounce ideas off, so I'm just wondering what do you guys think would the .22 be a good idea, or is there no need to have both if your not doing target work?

I thought about the security side, I already have a monitored alarm so I think I covered in that aspect, it just a case of whether it would be a useful addition or just like have two of the same in terms of it's use.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

I think the .22LR rimfire is a light load for Fox.

They are a tough animal to kill cleanly and really a .22 rf isn't enough gun. I have killed fox years ago with a rimfire, but even at 50 yards they can fail to kill on the first shot.

I use a .220 Swift for Fox now, I also like .223, .22-250 and .22 Hornet at appropriate ranges. Looking to kill fox at 120 to 150 yards the lightest I would go is the Hornet. I had a Ruger bolt action one that was great for foxing, lots of older BRNO and current CZ rifles to be had in that calibre also.

The .22 rimfire is a super round for rabbit hunting and vermin control. It allows you to get lots of practice in with your gun for small outlay on ammunition. Plenty trigger time shooting from field type rests and seated/standing will improve your hunting with your other guns as well.

I do love .22 rimfire and have just bought one again to go bunny hunting with, and to sharpen up my shooting with the Swift. The larger calibres get expensive to practice with enough to gain the benefit from such practice.

For fox hunting I would have to recommend you go for a larger calibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

I think the .22LR rimfire is a light load for Fox.

They are a tough animal to kill cleanly and really a .22 rf isn't enough gun. I have killed fox years ago with a rimfire, but even at 50 yards they can fail to kill on the first shot.

I use a .220 Swift for Fox now, I also like .223, .22-250 and .22 Hornet at appropriate ranges. Looking to kill fox at 120 to 150 yards the lightest I would go is the Hornet. I had a Ruger bolt action one that was great for foxing, lots of older BRNO and current CZ rifles to be had in that calibre also.

The .22 rimfire is a super round for rabbit hunting and vermin control. It allows you to get lots of practice in with your gun for small outlay on ammunition. Plenty trigger time shooting from field type rests and seated/standing will improve your hunting with your other guns as well.

I do love .22 rimfire and have just bought one again to go bunny hunting with, and to sharpen up my shooting with the Swift. The larger calibres get expensive to practice with enough to gain the benefit from such practice.

For fox hunting I would have to recommend you go for a larger calibre.

I agree with Deise Musashi, the .22 hornet and .223s are great for the foxes, but we dont know your budget and you seem to have your heart set on a .22LR, if you want to kill foxes with a .22LR I wouldnt use it any further then 75 - 100yrds and to get a definite head shot with a .22LR at those distances you'd want to be very confident in your ability. You could try using "Velociter" ammo these pack an extra 30% punch more then your average .22LR round and would be more of a sure kill on a fox.
    By all means enjoy your sport with the .22LR but just make sure you're as close to 100% sure of your shot and of your ability to shoot a fox at those distances and do it as humanely as possible every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

You would be disappointed with .22 after using .17. The 17 is much flatter, much more powerful and the ammo is still relatively cheap. The only advantage of the .22 is using a silencer with subsonic ammo and this only if you want discreet shooting. The rabbits don't seem to pay much attention to the sound of the 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

the ideal way would be get the .22lr. then swap the .17hmr for a 22 center fire like the 22 hornet, .223, .222 or even the .17 rem fireball

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Odysseus wrote: »
    Hi all, I was in a dealers today and a s/a .22 remmey was hand in for sale. I had a look at it and tbh it struck a cord with me.

Cheers

Well there's a difference worth highlighting!!

.. A S/A 22lr, well these gun will be ammo fussy-
    I have a S/A and the CCI velocitiors (BC .136 vel 1450 40g. 186ft/lbs ??) are to much on the action! the only HV round that it can handle are yellow jackets (BC.107 vel 1450ish ++ 33grains 154ft/lbs)

My action will cycle only certain subsonic ammo, preferring Eley and CCI Subs.
    But theres a loud enough report because of escaping gases from the breach or & even just the clatter of moving parts..
    So its no where near the quietness of a bolt action.

Thers also an increase in felt recoil as the sliding action excites the whole system!

The second shot is its best feature and its this that makes it a hunters rifle rather than a target rifle.

May be you should have looked at the sako quad way back when..:) It seem so give extra chooses with out the burdens of too many firearms..

PS I think I've see a rugar 10/22 with a lockable bolt and a S/A option all in one!!
    Take plenty of time making your mind up! its all to easy to be left with regrets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Take plenty of time making your mind up! its all to easy to be left with regrets

Cheers lads, thank for all the responses, I decided I'm going to pass on it. Its enought hassle getting another cert, it would be nice to have; however, I don't think I can justify it.

Ivan's statement really somes it up for me, I would like something lager at a later stage, so I think its best to wait a while.

Advertisement