Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating

• 19-06-2010 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Hey guys
    In short - LC was horrible for me.
    Determined to get a course I want. But, the way it all went, im screwed.
    So - To the repeaters out there - can you tell me about what i need to know whilst making this decision.
    1. What is it like to repeat in a PLC ?
    2. If you do 6, can you leave maths out? as i struggled and i feel i passed, but will have anxious breakdown if i gotta go through it again...
    3. English - I did King lear for comparative - would they cover diff bits in course that wasnt on ours
    4. Can you take on a new subject - cant go through english again

Like - whats the system like???:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

2. You can drop any subject and still use it for entry requirements (except for medicine) but you cannot use a dropped subject for points

3. It's Hamlet in 2011 rather than King Lear.

4. Yes you can take on new subjects

If you're in Dublin there's places like leeson street, rathmines college, plunketts, ashfield terenure (might have closed down, dunno),

Everyone is in the same boat so it can be a cool year but some people do worse the following year because they think it's a doss year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

Yeah, if you repeat you don't have to do english, irish, maths or your language again if you don't want to (considering you passed and don't want to count the points)

Lear isn't on the course next year?

Yes you can take on as many new subjects as you like. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BrenosBolts91

I repeated and it was the best thing I ever did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭ummtea

So if you repeat and want to do medicine you can't drop english, irish or math?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Were your experiences better then the 1st time. since uve been around the LC block lol:) and was it better compared to secondary school?

• Advertisement

ummtea wrote: »
    So if you repeat and want to do medicine you can't drop english, irish or math?

Correct. And don't forget your third language unless you are going to trinity http://www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/images/documents/hpat-ireland-admissions-guide2010.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fete

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Hey guys
    In short - LC was horrible for me.
    Determined to get a course I want. But, the way it all went, im screwed.
    So - To the repeaters out there - can you tell me about what i need to know whilst making this decision.
    1. What is it like to repeat in a PLC ?
    2. If you do 6, can you leave maths out? as i struggled and i feel i passed, but will have anxious breakdown if i gotta go through it again...
    3. English - I did King lear for comparative - would they cover diff bits in course that wasnt on ours
    4. Can you take on a new subject - cant go through english again

Like - whats the system like???:confused:

The second time around it goes a lot faster and is much easier (as long as you do some work).
    I repeated this year. It was 100 of us all in the same boat. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.
    As long as you pass the subject and don't need a higher grade for your course requirement you can drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Originally Posted by bullpost viewpost.gif

I posted this on another page so all may not be relavent but the gist is there!

http://www.stlaurencecollege.com/repeat.html
    I couldn't recommend this enough.
    I did 7th year their this year and believe me it is the best repeat programme in the country. Although it is very intense (nicknamed the bootcamp),the teachers are brilliant, the career guidance is second to none and everyone gets on very well. They make you do alot of work through the year but it all pays off in the end.
    Also while you may be a snob wink.gif if this repeat programme is good enough for people from private schools such as Blackrock college,St. Michaels, Mt. Anville and CBC Monkstown(my old schoolbiggrin.gif), believe me it is good enough for you. Also no uniform smile.gif

Also yes English is very different,different text,poets and comparative.
    This School also requires you to take up a minimum of two new subjects.
    And no you don't have to do Maths again provided you got a C or Higher in ordinary, same with Irish aswell:D

im in cork :P so as far as i know college of commerce is my only option....unless anyone has suggestions?

DL saint: I reckon i only got a pass in maths OL - is that ok?
    Oh god. If ive to do maths AGAIN :( I cried so much over it as im frankly, not able for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭yourmother

What if you just passed maths? Do you really have to take it again? :mad:

2 other subjects - would ya get them covered in a year? The school sounds really good though :)

• Advertisement

I reckon i only got a pass in maths OL - is that ok?

That's fine as long as it satisifies your course entry requirement. That rule about having to do maths again even if you passed it sounds like the crappiest rule ever. If you know you don't have to pass it again all you are going to do is sit in the class and look out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

pathway33 wrote: »
    Correct. And don't forget your third language unless you are going to trinity http://www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/images/documents/hpat-ireland-admissions-guide2010.pdf
    Hold on a second here...

I am doing the LC now. Say I pass HL English, HL German and OL Maths and Irish. Now I wish to do medicine, and depepnding on results, the only way I am going to do that is if I repeat. Your saying if I repeat I have to re-do English, German, Irish and Maths? Are you not able to carry these matric requirements over to the next year like normal?

im in cork :P so as far as i know college of commerce is my only option

i heard they start queuing early the day after the results come out

i heard they start queuing early the day after the results come out

how do they decide who cuts it? I need to repeat!! :eek:

Hold on a second here...

I am doing the LC now. Say I pass HL English, HL German and OL Maths and Irish. Now I wish to do medicine, and depepnding on results, the only way I am going to do that is if I repeat. Your saying if I repeat I have to re-do English, German, Irish and Maths? Are you not able to carry these matric requirements over to the next year like normal?

Medicine is the only course in the country where you cannot carry matric requirements to the next year like normal. So you may get an HB1 in english this year but due to the different LC english course for next year you decide to do pass and settle for an OD3 picking up your points in a new subject. That's the rule I'm afraid

how do they decide who cuts it? I need to repeat!! :eek:

Honours grades in some subjects in LC 2010 and real enthusiasm at the interview according to >>> http://www.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie/courseday.cfm?d=1&c=18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

Medicine is the only course in the country where you cannot carry matric requirements to the next year like normal. So you may get an HB1 in english this year but due to the different LC english course for next year you decide to do pass and settle for an OD3 picking up your points in a new subject. That's the rule I'm afraid
    Estupido!

Thats unfortunate...
    Thanks anyways :)

Honours grades in some subjects in LC 2010 and real enthusiasm at the interview according to >>> http://www.corkcollegeofcommerce.ie/courseday.cfm?d=1&c=18

so interviews are for one week??

yourmother wrote: »
    What if you just passed maths? Do you really have to take it again? :mad:

2 other subjects - would ya get them covered in a year? The school sounds really good though :)
    Like Pathway said it depends on the entry requirements for your chosen course but most are a C in Ordinary minimum.

Yes you do get the two new cources covered in a year because the teachers specilise in teaching the subjects in a year, every course gets covered in the year regardless if it is new to you or not.
    I took up Ag. Science and Home Ec. and I found them beneficial.
    Also there is a project that takes up around 40% of the ag course.

6th year was great craic and so was Repeat , but you just get so much more work done in repeat because you only do 6 subjects, and i had 3 classess a day so that meant loads of time for study etc

• Advertisement

DL Saint wrote: »
    Like Pathway said it depends on the entry requirements for your chosen course but most are a C in Ordinary minimum.

Yes you do get the two new cources covered in a year because the teachers specilise in teaching the subjects in a year, every course gets covered in the year regardless if it is new to you or not.
    No the project takes up 25% of the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭yourmother

DL Saint wrote: »

Ah righty cool! Em no like my course just requires a pass so would the school insist that I still do the maths? Not too bad.. I already do home ec so I'd probably want to take up a language maybe Spanish I already do French. What's the interview like? Thanks for all the help! :)

No the project takes up 25% of the course.
    yes but with the oral and the experiment book is it not more?

Advertisement