Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Harney alcoholic allegations

• 19-06-2010 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Where Nell McCafferty alleged that Harney is an alcoholic and unfit for office last March on Newstalk, story here http://www.independent.ie/national-news/harney-slur-forces-radio-boss-to-ban-mccafferty-2098879.html

Did she sue, if so who- Newstalk or McCafferty? I felt the way in which McCafferty said it -she's a "practising or recovering alcoholic" was almost saying it in a way that hoped McCafferty got sued for slander- i.e. Harney would have to prove that she isn't a ""practising or recovering alcoholic" for the charge to stick.

But either way I havent heard anything about it since and am wondering does anyone know what is happening with the case.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Minister for Health Mary Harney has issued defamation proceedings in the High Court against Newstalk over comments made by journalist Nell McCafferty during a broadcast on the radio station last week.
    Mrs Harney’s spokesman confirmed last night that she has commenced a libel action against the broadcaster.
    The comments were made on Tom Dunne’s show last Thursday morning.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0316/1224266353898.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Nice one Nodin- have you any ideas about how long it will take for the case to come up?

Also why sue Newstalk? I know they broadcasted it but they didnt say it, McCafferty did. Surely any member of the public could ring up a talk show and allege things on live radio, hardly the broadcasters fault such is the nature of live radio, no?

A few months, I'd imagine. An exact date I don't have.

It's up to the broadcaster to manage the content, regardless of whether its a direct employee, or a guest/caller using the broadcaster as a medium (afaik). Lucky for oul Nell, in ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Newstalk have a live delay and still managed to let her rambling nonsense drone on as Tom Dunne sat there like a fool.

Dear o dear....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

DERIXON wrote: »
    Being an alcoholic does not mean that you do a bad job.
    regardless of the alegations, she is doing a sh1t job!!!! she has destroyed the health service to a point where it will take decades to rebuild.

Currently its not clear if anyone is or was an alcoholic, and such claims have - as mentioned above, funnily enough - have ended in legal action....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

mike65 wrote: »
    Newstalk have a live delay and still managed to let her rambling nonsense drone on as Tom Dunne sat there like a fool.

Not really up to Tom - its down to the producer - he should be sacked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I would advise anyone who believes they have evidence of problem drinking or alcoholic behaviour by Mary Harney to contact Newstalk with it and aid them in their case rather than airing it in here and getting a ban and the thread closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I would advise anyone who believes they have evidence of problem drinking or alcoholic behaviour by Mary Harney to contact Newstalk with it and aid them in their case rather than airing it in here and getting a ban and the thread closed.

Or indeed getting boards sued and possibly closed. At least one post deleted - please mind your allegations.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I have no knowledge or opinion about what Nell NcCafferty said. But the fact that Mary Harney has initiated proceedings tells us nothing.

Very often a person in the public eye is subject to claims that might be true or false, and are damaging. The "victim" issues defamation proceedings. It's a handy way of implying that whatever was said or written must be false, else why sue? Fast forward a few years, and nothing has arrived in court, because the plaintiff hasn't been advancing the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

DERIXON wrote: »
    Does being an alcoholic disqualify you from being a politician? There are plenty of people who do a great job in their fields of work who also are alcoholics. Being an alcoholic does not mean that you do a bad job.

Explain please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭scallioneater

Pot wrote:
    Explain please

Being a TD is a pretty tough job. Of the few I know, I can count an alcoholic, a heart attack, and one who pulls his own hair out.

I know people will go on about expenses, but there are far easier jobs with equally good pay out there. In many ways, I pity them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

RATM wrote: »
    Did she sue, if so who- Newstalk or McCafferty? I felt the way in which McCafferty said it -she's a "practising or recovering alcoholic" was almost saying it in a way that hoped McCafferty got sued for slander- i.e. Harney would have to prove that she isn't a ""practising or recovering alcoholic" for the charge to stick.

Fairly sure that the burden of proof is the other way round and that Harney doesn't have to prove anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

one explaination , i think at one time she said she enoys wine which led to
    She has also shown remarkable courage at a tender age in the face of deep hostility. In 1985, she was kicked out of Fianna Fail after defying Charlie Haughey's opposition to the Anglo-Irish agreement.

Vicious rumours were spread about her - that she was an alcoholic, she was having affairs. Her life was threatened by an anonymous telephone caller.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/theres-something-about-mary-79909.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Nodin wrote: »
    It's up to the broadcaster to manage the content, regardless of whether its a direct employee, or a guest/caller using the broadcaster as a medium (afaik). Lucky for oul Nell, in ways.
    yep, i imagine that it's better for a station to indemnify guests in the long run as the cost of not having guests on (in fear of being sued) would outweigh the cost of defending the odd case like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

tom dunne's inabilty to broadcast created that situation

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The burden of proof is on the person who said the derogatory remark.

In defamation the person claiming they have been damaged must do two things:

1. prove it was published (well, duh)
    2. prove it lowered them in the eyes of their right-thinking peers (pretty much "duh" too)

Whats interesting is that the defence of "but its true" is solid but as pointed out, its up to the station to show that it is true (if it is).

I would put the vast bulk of my jelly beans on this never ever seeing the light of day in court. I will be gob smacked if it does. Either its true that she has a drinking problem and she wont want that examined in a court room, or its not and the station will settle to avoid huge costs and damages.

Its pretty sick that the radio station can be brought into this. Its an amazingly efficient way of shutting down the free press. It terrifies me as a director of Boards and is the reason I get so angry at muppets who come here and slam us for "censorship doood!". Knuckle dragging idiots, go ask Politics.ie if I'm lying.

lets keep this to discussion of defamation and law rather then speculating on the truth or otherwise of this specific allegation.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

DeVore wrote: »
    go ask Politics.ie if I'm lying.

DeV.

Bad example, a particular person was caught out posting anon. You know who I'm talking about, if you carry on like that, you deserve some time being called to account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

I like a drink and IF she likes a drink then thats ok but i am not in charge of a Billion plus portfolio

• Advertisement

Over on P.ie I got the impression that it was the poster rather than the site...then again, I haven't been there in a while so maybe it's changed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

tom dunne's inabilty to broadcast created that situation
    He interviews and it was his producers job to kill the live feed once she started spouting. She should have been prep'd by the producer beforehand and obviously wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Pot wrote:
    I like a drink and IF she likes a drink then thats ok but i am not in charge of a Billion plus portfolio

Is there a requirement (or a need for that matter) that government ministers be teetotal:confused:

I cant see how likeing a drink matters.
    mrboswell wrote: »
    He interviews and it was his producers job to kill the live feed once she started spouting. She should have been prep'd by the producer beforehand and obviously wasn't.

Prep'd not to say unsubstanciated libelous comments? Would that not be a given when beign interviewed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Personally I think she was already pretty low in many people's estimation anyway. The possibility of her liking her a bit of drink is the least of my issues with her.

Still though, the fact that the person in question wasted time making claims which are difficult to substantiate instead of grilling her on far more pressing issues is my main problem.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

aye, there are many things I would take Ms Harney to task for but liking a glass of wine isnt the first on my list.

Christ if saying you like a glass of wine makes you an alco.... I regularly try to fill my body to the brim with the stuff!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Personally I think she was already pretty low in many people's estimation anyway. The possibility of her liking her a bit of drink is the least of my issues with her.

Still though, the fact that the person in question wasted time making claims which are difficult to substantiate instead of grilling her on far more pressing issues is my main problem.

True, also if she did resign, who'd take her job? Nobody. Its political suicide, which is why she was left in the post aprés the reshuffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

True, also if she did resign, who'd take her job? Nobody. Its political suicide, which is why she was left in the post aprés the reshuffle.

I'm pretty sure James Reilly is keen to take her job and I'm equally sure he'll make a better go at it than Ms Harney, who hopefully has had a political suicide and no one will care about her drinking habits, where she gets her hair cut or her husbands role in FAS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I didn't mean after a general election. I meant the time Biffo did the reshuffle and left her in place. If she were forced to step down, no FF'er would want it, is what I'm saying.

I would give up my position in Boards to take on the Healthcare system. I genuinely mean that. I'd do it for minimum pay too but only on the condition that I could re-engineer it as I saw fit and unions be damned.

It would be good news for the front line people, and very very bad news for everyone else. :mad:

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

RATM wrote: »

The burden of proof is on the accuser not the accused - just as well really or you'd have every crackpot going around making all sorts of allegations which probably could never be disproved.

And in cases of defamation nearly anyone connected with the publication/broadcast/distribution is potentially liable. This is one of the great bugbears of those in the media with defamation laws.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement