Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help an average student

• 19-06-2010 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Im finished my leaving on monday, but im still not sure what to put on the cao. The problem is, im not going to get exceptional marks. Ive been reading comments on this site about people doing medicine and law, but realistically im gonna get somewhere between 300 and 350. In fairness i did f!ck all work for the last 2 years but i did a serious amount of work in the last 5 weeks by my standards. my fav subjects are english and biology, but id say il only get a c3 or c2 in both, so that doesnt help either. if anyone has any suggestions id really appreciate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Arts in galway is something like 365, that'd be good i suppose? and you choose 4 subjects as far as i can remember, which is helpful fi you dont know what your gonna do.
    But if you have your heart set on something like dentistry, id say repeat maybe...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

You should do culinary arts in Cork Institute of Technology. It was 300 points last year having risen 75 points from 225 in 2008. It's a 3 year level 7 degree with the option to add on a year at the end to turn it into an honours degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭TimeClock18

It really a matter of putting down in order of prefrence what you want to do. Only that way will you get the courses you actually will like/enjoy.
    Read through all the list of courses there will be something there for you.

Otherwise your going to be be putting in for example enginering in Tallaght IT when you have no interest in it, just to get a place somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

muffinz wrote: »
    Arts in galway is something like 365?

It's 355 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

put down the courses you really want to get first.. who knows what could happen to the points this year... but then down towards the bottom put in 2-3 courses that you have a realistic chance of definitely getting even assuming for a points rise in the given course... that'll make sure that in the event you don't get the course you want you can still have a course to go and do next year at the worst of times... that or repeat..

but leave yourself that option to choose the low points course or repeating..

but basically just put the course you want no1 regardless of what you think your gonna get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Cluster92 wrote: »
    Im finished my leaving on monday, but im still not sure what to put on the cao. The problem is, im not going to get exceptional marks. Ive been reading comments on this site about people doing medicine and law, but realistically im gonna get somewhere between 300 and 350. In fairness i did f!ck all work for the last 2 years but i did a serious amount of work in the last 5 weeks by my standards. my fav subjects are english and biology, but id say il only get a c3 or c2 in both, so that doesnt help either. if anyone has any suggestions id really appreciate it.

Before you guessed your marks what did you want to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

NotExactly wrote: »
    My god, how dare someone not have memorised the points for every course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Arts in galway is something like 365
    Lawliet wrote: »

Arts is 355. Your point being?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Arts in galway is something like 365
    Lawliet wrote: »
    Arts is 355. Your point being?
    Her point being that muffinz said Arts in Galway was "something like" 365.

Whatever about giving a more accurate figure, there is no need for the :rolleyes:

There is a huge difference in tone between "355 I think" and "It's 355 :rolleyes:"

And btw ... it's neither!

It may have been 355 *last* year, but no-one knows what it will be this year!

Now ... I know everyone is frazzled at this stage, but sarcasm and bickering is unnecessary and unhelpful ... and I'm saying that not only to NotExactly and Lawliet, but *everyone* reading.

Now ... back on topic, please.
    Cluster92 wrote: »
    Cluster, don't start with what marks you think you will get.

Start with (a) what you're interested in and (b) what kind of area you would like to eventually work in.

If you tell us a little about those questions, people *may* be able to make more useful suggestions! :)

Welcome to Boards by the way; they're usually a friendlier bunch around here, as I say, everyone's feeling the pressure these days!

Advertisement