Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Name and shame, rip off garages and deli's

• 19-06-2010 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

My work takes me all over Mayo, but I got royally raped in Ballina this week, €2.39 for a large Coffee in Topaz on the Foxford road. I was absolutely gobsmacked, to me this is a little too much, a coffee should be a Euro and should be used to entice You into the shop to buy other items. A large Tim Hortons coffee in Topaz in Castlebar is €2.20, its much nicer coffee but its still way too expensive. Maybe we could name and shame the worst offending garages and deli's, any bad experiences?

On the other side of the scale, the garage in Ballyheane is €1.50 for a regular coffee, nice Lavazza stuff too. Any other decent spots out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Great idea for a thread. The canteen in GMIT Castlebar has a great selection of coffees and teas at various prices. Large freshly ground coffee 1.55, teas and instant coffees from 1.15 and there is normally parking outside the door for delivery/commercial vehicles. I totally agree that coffee and tea should be used to entice customers into a shop. When I am on the road I make my stops based solely on the quality and price of coffee and tea available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Guys, your kidding. I agree the prices are too expensive. But I take the approach of not shopping there. They charge the prices because we are willing to pay them, Like the hundreds of thousands of over priced houses that were bought over the last 10 years. And just like houses once you stop buying them the prices come down.(like tesco had to do)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

alex73 wrote: »
    Guys, your kidding. I agree the prices are too expensive. But I take the approach of not shopping there. They charge the prices because we are willing to pay them, Like the hundreds of thousands of over priced houses that were bought over the last 10 years. And just like houses once you stop buying them the prices come down.(like tesco had to do)

You're missing the point, the idea of the thread is to list the ones who are too expensive, the ones to avoid, and to promote those who have decent prices. And lets not just confine this to coffee and tea

Sometimes being on the road You have no option but to stop at these garages, a man has to eat (I usually bring a lunch, but stop for coffee). I've got a Topaz fuel card for work, I'm not stopping twice and going elsewhere for coffee when I need diesel as well, so I gotta put up with the prices somedays, no choice, but I'd avoid them on other days that I don't need diesel.

Oh, and BTW, Tesco didn't drop any prices, they forced their supplier to cut prices but kept the same profit margin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Good idea for a thread...just want to point out good value as well.....Dunnes stores do a sambo, mineral and crisps for €2.50. :eek:

Yeah, they're giving 'em away.

A coffee in Mocha Beans Ballina is €2.50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

finisklin wrote: »
    Good idea for a thread...just want to point out good value as well.....Dunnes stores do a sambo, mineral and crisps for €2.50. :eek:

Yeah, they're giving 'em away.

A coffee in Mocha Beans Ballina is €2.50.

Take away Large Tea/Coffee in Mocha Beans in Westport is €2 on a promotional offer at the moment. Good value as well in comparison with other places.

• Advertisement
Advertisement