Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming on a projector

Options
  • 19-06-2010 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

Anyone use a projector for gaming?

I was thinking of getting a projector for movies but i'm wondering If I can also use it for gaming. I did a search of other forums but I wasn't able to find detailed opinions, the positives and negatives etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

yup

Works with a pc or laptop too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Works fine but I found using it for any extended period made my eyes very tired. The combination of huge screen, dark room and intense concentration is very hard on the eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

its great for watching movies and playing games, you will need black out curtains of you intend to use it during the day if it aint sunny though.

i paid over 1100e a couple years ago for a hd one, ya can get a much better one now for 500e new if ya do some research mate;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

"Is gaming good on a moitor"

Well it is, depending on the monitor you have. Imagine playing on a 12 inch low res monitor? Horrible compared to playing on a 32 inch HD monitor ;)

OP, get a good projector, preferably a HD one, and you might need a thingy to project on to. No point getting a good projector if you are going to project it onto a rough wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Personally i think anything above 42" is too big for gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Thanks for all the input, exactly the kind of info I was looking for
    OP, get a good projector, preferably a HD one, and you might need a thingy to project on to. No point getting a good projector if you are going to project it onto a rough wall.

I think im going to get the optoma hd600x 720p, €600. Has nothing but good reviews. There is a 1080p version for €1000, but thats going over my budget.
    http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/projectors/Optoma_HD600X.html

For a screen, I wanted a large mobile screen. After measuring up and using the optoma distance calculator, this screen is more than perfect - http://www.amazon.co.uk/PCT80MM-Portable-Projector-Screen-Widescreen/dp/B001KMYLPW/ref=pd_cp_ce_3
    Personally i think anything above 42" is too big for gaming.
    I would nearly agree with you. I think certain games shouldn't be played on a large screen, but others seem to benefit. I got my hands on a 40" inch plasma 2 years ago and tried gaming on it. World of warcraft was great on it, but FPS's did not due to difficulty in reading the HUD and enemys at a distance.
    Ive been playing a lot of RTS's lately and im guessing that they would look great on a big screen. A major factor maybe the distance been where you sit and the screen, closer the better but obviously not too close like the front row of cinema where your eyes and neck are going to suffer.

Anyone wish to comment on what game type is best on a large screen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Krieg wrote: »
    Thanks for all the input, exactly the kind of info I was looking for

I think im going to get the optoma hd600x 720p, €600. Has nothing but good reviews. There is a 1080p version for €1000, but thats going over my budget.
    http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/projectors/Optoma_HD600X.html

For a screen, I wanted a large mobile screen. After measuring up and using the optoma distance calculator, this screen is more than perfect - http://www.amazon.co.uk/PCT80MM-Portable-Projector-Screen-Widescreen/dp/B001KMYLPW/ref=pd_cp_ce_3

I would nearly agree with you. I think certain games shouldn't be played on a large screen, but others seem to benefit. I got my hands on a 40" inch plasma 2 years ago and tried gaming on it. World of warcraft was great on it, but FPS's did not due to difficulty in reading the HUD and enemys at a distance.
    Ive been playing a lot of RTS's lately and im guessing that they would look great on a big screen. A major factor maybe the distance been where you sit and the screen, closer the better but obviously not too close like the front row of cinema where your eyes and neck are going to suffer.

Anyone wish to comment on what game type is best on a large screen?

Can you save up a few more months and hold out for the full HD one? It would be worth it, especially playing on such a big "screen". HD ready screen is still good, but if it was me I would wait a little longer and get the full HD projector :)

I found the opposite with fps on larger screens, easier to see the enemy (more pixels), but I am using a full HD screen.

I only played mmorpgs, strategy and some FPS on the projector, it was a low res projector so the fps could have been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Yeah ive decided to take your advice and hold off and get the 1080p when i have the money.
    Thanks for all the help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Why get one projector when you can have 3 ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhrAZ8tNBNE

Advertisement