Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning on coming to Maynooth in Sept '10

• 19-06-2010 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭

Just figured I'd start a thread for people to post what the want to study in NUIM next year?

Me, thinking Psychology through BSc or BA, really depends on the points.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dustfree

i'm starting in september also and would like any opinions on the following combinations: french, spanish and anthropology or french, english and anthropology......:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

I'd do French, Spanish and Anthropology because being tri-lingual is more marketable. If you're going to drop Spanish/English then it doesn't really matter though :) I really like the Spanish department though, great people, I learned a lot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Spanish & French could be tricky (not impossible - but you're looking at a serious workload. I spent a year doing Spanish, French, and Greek & Roman Civ. Ultimately led me to switch to science.
    I have no love for the french department, I went to college with a love of languages, and finished that year completely hating french (spanish department are absolutely lovely lovely though, allandanyways can say more about them when she's next about :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Well I'm hoping to do Psych BSc but if I don't get the point I'm prob going undenominated through Arts?

I was thinking of doing Psychology, French and Computer Science.. And I have back-up ideas incase I don't get 2nd year psych.
    Is this combination going to be very hard, I don't really mind as I love all three anyway, just curious?

Also, does anyone know if you can do an Erasmus year with BA Psychology, just I like the idea of studying in France for a year.. Can't seem to find out much about it though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Starting in September, was all set to be starting an Arts degree doing Anthropology, Sociology and Philosophy but managed to get a place on the Anthropology degree but still doing the same subjects for first year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭wtrdfrd18

Media Studies for me... If i get the points!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Sophie_

dustfree wrote: »
    i'm starting in september also and would like any opinions on the following combinations: french, spanish and anthropology or french, english and anthropology......:confused:

Spanish & Anthropology are a very very popular combination and two excellent departments to put the hands of your degree in but any of the above combinations are good and you'd still have teaching subjects if you decided to go down that route. You could ring the Departments and have a chat with them if you wanted to and have a look at their websites as there is loads of info there. One other thing to remember is there is no easy option at University so pick what interests you & you'll do fine.
    Best of luck with your studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rik1234

starting in sept, finance and accounting , does anyone know if i can add a language to this ..?..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Well if you're allowed to have an arts subject also then I don't see why not!
    A good tip for Accounting/Finance would be to study Chinese, there's sure to be a lot of jobs there in the coming years for entrepreneurs/economists.

http://www.nuim.ie/language/services/Chinese1.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

Chinese booked out so so quick this yr :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭xochillixo

Just figured I'd start a thread for people to post what the want to study in NUIM next year?

Me, thinking Psychology through BSc or BA, really depends on the points.

I shall b in your class jellybeans, Im going into second year but I do psych through science so I go into 1st arts in september! woop

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Sophie_

rik1234 wrote: »
    starting in sept, finance and accounting , does anyone know if i can add a language to this ..?..:)

Yes you can add a language. Spanish is available to beginners & I think German is too. You need a HC3 for French. A language is a good idea to study with Finance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

rik1234 wrote: »

Same here I'll be doing finance and accounting or economics that's of I get the points. I'll also add french.
    Having a language is more marketable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

xochillixo wrote: »
    I shall b in your class jellybeans, Im going into second year but I do psych through science so I go into 1st arts in september! woop

That's if I even get Arts the way everyones going on about the points, a sure well, it'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Aww new friend!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

wtrdfrd18 wrote: »
    Media Studies for me... If i get the points!

Fantastic course!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

All these great plans, for study.

Post back at end of year with your study/drinking ratios :p

Anyone thinking of doing BA maths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭xochillixo

K4t wrote: »
    Aww new friend!;)
    creeeep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

creeeep
    creeeeepin is carin:D See you in Maynooth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 krazykatz

Great idea for a thread. Starting Arts in September. Psychology, Sociology and Anthropology. Hope to progress to Psychology in second year but if not will enjoy these other social science subjects.

Can't wait and hope to make loads of friends and enjoy every minute.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

me too katz and although i most likely wont see you around (not doing those subjects) i share the same hopes as you:))))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

I'm going into second year Arts doing English and Geography.
    I did Psychology in first year and I really loved it but unfortunately I wasn't good enough to progress. You don't get offered a place until late August until repeat exams are finished but you have to be in the top 30 of the year, I don't think I'm good enough!

One piece of advice for anyway starting Psychology through Arts is make sure you like the other two subjects as if you don't get into Psychology you will be stuck with the other two. Heard of this happening to a lot of people. Just make sure you go to the first few open lectures in the first few weeks.

I'm very happy going on to study English and Geography though, I love them both!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 duffsterr

Well I'm hoping to do Psych BSc but if I don't get the point I'm prob going undenominated through Arts?

I was thinking of doing Psychology, French and Computer Science.. And I have back-up ideas incase I don't get 2nd year psych.
    Is this combination going to be very hard, I don't really mind as I love all three anyway, just curious?

Also, does anyone know if you can do an Erasmus year with BA Psychology, just I like the idea of studying in France for a year.. Can't seem to find out much about it though?

hey im in 3rd year psych sci and i done computer science in first year so u can do it through science and then you wont have to compete 4 second psych! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 TaraLo

Heya, I'm going into 2nd psych through science(I'm in xochilliox's class) and I went to an eurasmus info session last year, I'm pretty sure that you can do it in BA Psychology but it'll add a year to your degree so you'll be doing 4 years instead of three. :_)
    this should help....
    http://international.nuim.ie/studyabroadhome/studyabroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Yeah it's pretty much the same with most degrees, you study an extra year (after 2nd year) away and come back to complete your real 3rd year in Maynooth. You get an extra "International" qualification on the end of your degree also, which is pretty cool.
    If you have any other questions about Erasmus or studying abroad, just pop into the international office in humanity house, they'll sort out all your questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 titi

kind of different for me since i'm an erasmus student so i'll study English/french literature, history, spanish, translation etc

Advertisement