Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to have your own sound: using NLP learn to solo on guitar

Options
  • 19-06-2010 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Just a quick note with respect to the techniques I've been writing about these days...

Those who have been my students were quite disoriented at the beginning...

They had never been trained to relax and play without any thinking or conscious effort...

As soon as a student is exposed to these methods this is what I invariably see:

They start feeling free of playing whatever note comes natural and "right" to their ear, gradually breaking free from patterns, licks and scales that were just crowding their mind.

The techniques I like to write about are meant to consciously educate your brain to perform specific tasks during your practice sessions.

All the skills you consciously practice will eventually show in your playing naturally...

In this regards, NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) can help developing whatever skill you want to learn.

Here there is a learning model that might help explain my approach: Learning occurs through 4 main stages:

1) Unconscious incompetence (you don't know that you don't know)

2) Conscious incompetence (you know that you don't know)

3) Conscious competence (you have to pay attention to perform the new skill)

4) Unconscious competence (you internalized your new skill as a natural part of your behavior)

I believe that it's the 4th stage that allows musicians to become effortless masters of their OWN sound.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

franamico wrote: »
    Just a quick note with respect to the techniques I've been writing about these days...

They had never been trained to relax and play without any thinking or conscious effort...

They start feeling free of playing whatever note comes natural and "right" to their ear, gradually breaking free from patterns, licks and scales that were just crowding their mind.

The techniques I like to write about are meant to consciously educate your brain to perform specific tasks during your practice sessions.

All the skills you consciously practice will eventually show in your playing naturally...

In this regards, NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) can help developing whatever skill you want to learn.

Here there is a learning model that might help explain my approach: Learning occurs through 4 main stages:

4) Unconscious competence (you internalized your new skill as a natural part of your behavior)

I believe that it's the 4th stage that allows musicians to become effortless masters of their OWN sound.

I think you're over analysing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Does the student really benefit from intellectualising it like that? Its a neat concept, but how does that inform your teaching method?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭WhitestBoyAlive

Fancy words but i can see what you mean.
    Teaching a student how to learn

This is a huge lesson and ultimately the most important
    People learn in a different ways so i'm not sure how you can teach it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭IVRZ

Where can we find the NLP tools (cd's, programmes, whatever) to use in this regard?
    Subliminal messaging recordings? As on the lines of give up smoking etc cd's?
    Just wondering if you have a source already for this.
    It seems to me Kenny Werners cd and book would be in this realm and aimed at stage 4 people, ie you've learned all the stuff now just get back to your original beginners mind (stage 5? You dont know that you iknow!) and let it play through you?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 franamico

Hi Guys,
    Thank you for your most stimulating replies.
    I understand that all this NLP stuff feels a bit too heavy...
    In regard to accepting the model, willing or not your brain, works this way...
    The model is based on both neurobiological neuropsychological findings that support it.

Such theoretical understandings are crucial, in my experience, to allow yourself, as a student, to new methods and strategies to learn improvisation, in any field really.

Some of the students I've had at Waltons, felt quite puzzled by my approach at the beginning but, very quickly, they became enthusiastic about combining the study of transcriptions and relaxation techniques applied to performance.

Kenny Werner's book is definitely a great guide if you let go of your (natural) skepticism only for a short moment. What do you have to loose after all.

Please let me know if you need more literature in regard to NLP or to learning and memory theories.

You can contact me though my email address available from both my profile and my "myspace" page.

Finally, in my myspace blog, I posted other articles on how to use NLP and other techniques by composer Jon Gorrie, author of "Performing In The Zone" and by jazz guitarist Craig Basset, author of "Guitar Scale Mastery".

Look forward to your comments...

Again, thanks for your lovely feedback...

• Advertisement

Not too heavy at all. Ive used NLP in other areas of my life with great success and definitely subscribe wholeheartedly to the Barefoot Doctor's dictum
    "Reality, as you perceive it, will conform to your beliefs about that reality.":)

IVRZ wrote: »
    Not too heavy at all. Ive used NLP in other areas of my life with great success and definitely subscribe wholeheartedly to the Barefoot Doctor's dictum
    "Reality, as you perceive it, will conform to your beliefs about that reality.":)

I believe that NLP and CBT cognitive behavioral therapy) techniques will explode in the music world very soon...
    Have you read my most recent post on the MRI study carried out on jazz musicians while improvising on a keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

franamico wrote: »

Would this not be similar to just not learning theory/ how to play in the first place no? Or similar to a person who is self thought may not know any scales but will know which combinations of notes fit together? Or is there something extra im missing here?

Let me give you a quick example...

How about learning to drive?

The very first time you tried to drive a car how competent were you?
    very little...I'd say (if you don't drive ask a friend who drives).

At the beginning it just seems impossible that you'll become able to drive confidently without even thinking about what to do.

However, with the right guidance and practice, you get better and better until driving becomes second nature.

This paradigm works for any skill that your brain (and your body) has to learn.

I hope it makes sense....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I think so, i could be wrong but I dunno it seems the exact same thing to me.

Anyone who takes up the guitar who doesnt want to go down the theory route will often approach there playing like this(playing to relax and without concious effort). Of course most of these people will also not go to lessons.

If this worked so well we should be seeing more self thought people will a better natural feel, Although im a largely self thought player myself(bar a year doing music,managment and sound in CSN) I dont see this happening, it seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

• Advertisement

If i could add my tuppence worth herej.:) NLP and similar techniques such as subliminal messaging or hypnosis are aimed at the unconcious part of our minds (assuming you accept that there is such a phenomenon). On the premise that we are effected by many forces in this part of our mind over which we have no control, but which have a lot of control over what we do, we attempt to change the ones that are hindering us in some way and strengthen the positive. In the above techniques this is attempted by bypassing the concious mind and suggesting new modes of operation to the unconcious. These changes then effect our behaviour etc.
    This could be used for anything, givinng up smoking, low self esteem, excessive anger etc.
    In trying to play an instrument, the belief that we can be, and even are, good at it will make getting good at it much easier. If we believe im useless at this and will never be any good then that's what will happen and vice versa.
    So its not so much to do with self taught/other taught, its to do with aligning our underlying forces with the direction in which we want to go.
    Thats my take on it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

So, if I start acting like a cocky, self important guitar god, I'll become one??

Duly noted.

Peasants.

:pac:

HaHa:D
    Yes of course you put your finger on the potential problem with this approach. Of course believing you're fabulous when you're not is as bad for everyone else as believing your crap when you're not is for you.
    But it doesn't have to be extremes, just a happy medium

Just one little tip.
    Read about NLP (wikipedia?) and, possibly, read "Effortless Mastery".

The point is NOT to avoid practicing but to learn a more effective method to get results.

Hope that makes sense.

Francesco

PS
    Believing in your natural talent doesn't mean that you are cocky. It just communicates that you have a good self-esteem.

Guess what, the world is full of depressed musicians who have a low opinion of themselves.

All you need is living a healthy life. If you can play guitar, it's nice. If you can't that still OK!
    The irony is that all those who play just for the fun of it and are only a bit dedicated to practicing, get really good. They feel well, sound really good, have a good time, have lots of friends and...get all the ladies :-)

Good Luck!

Advertisement