Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stain on bed-whats to stop landlord from blaming me

Options
  • 19-06-2010 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I have just moved into a room in a house in which the landlord is not living, I am here 2 weeks and I have observed a few things that I fear could get the blame for when/if I move out which will give cause for the landlord to keep my deposit, basically I noticed a coffee stain on the base of bed im sleeping, this got me thinking and I turned the matress over and theres a blue stain on the other stain of the matress, and also one of the side shelves of the fridge is broken, now these things dont bother me whilst im here but what im worried ill get the blame whenI move out ,what should I do?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think you worry too much.

Either he already knows about these or he just doesn't care. I doubt he's going to inspect your bed when you move and a fridge will always suffer from wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

If you're very worried about it take photos of any problems you might think would affect your deposit when the time comes. You can send a copy of the photos to the landlord now.

Keep a copy of the email you send to your landlord for future reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KillerKity

Had a similiar problem myself in the past. Just make sure you documant everything i.e pictures, emails and everything should be fine :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I have a similiar problem. Im not long in my rented apartment and during the first week I noticed a few small things and wrote them down. I dealt with an EA and was told if I had any problems to let him know. I went to him after a week just to let him know about the small problems so that it wouldnt come out of my deposit at the end of the lease.

When I moved in on my first night I went to close the windows that were open and one of them almost fell off the hinges. I told the EA and was told that he would get the LL to look at it. A few months into the lease and noone came. Window still broken and being kept shut. But today was so hot. I dont want to seem like a nag but really need to get that window fixed because I was baking. What do you think I should do?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Cathooo wrote: »
    If you're very worried about it take photos of any problems you might think would affect your deposit when the time comes. You can send a copy of the photos to the landlord now.

Keep a copy of the email you send to your landlord for future reference.

pointless to do this now. If you have moved in whats to prevent you damaging something then sending pics saying this was like this when I moved in. If you didnt point these out when viewing there is a chance you will get the blame.

If you do theres nothing you can do but learn to view your next rental properly.

• Advertisement

D3PO wrote: »
    pointless to do this now. If you have moved in whats to prevent you damaging something then sending pics saying this was like this when I moved in. If you didnt point these out when viewing there is a chance you will get the blame.

If you do theres nothing you can do but learn to view your next rental properly.

The op is only there 2 weeks, it takes a couple of days to spot some damage. It wouldn't do any harm and you'd know where you stand straight away when the landlord replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Cathooo wrote: »
    The op is only there 2 weeks, it takes a couple of days to spot some damage. It wouldn't do any harm and you'd know where you stand straight away when the landlord replies.

agree no harm in it all Im saying is if the landlord wants to be an ass about it he could.

imagine a PRTB dispute.

Landlord : deposit retained to remplace matress etc etc that was damaged during tennancy

Tennant : I didnt do it, it was there before I moved in.

Adjudicator : Did you point out the damage before moving in ?

Tennant : No

Adjudicator : I rule in favour of the Landlord

It really wouldn't be worth his while to be an ass when he has a tenant there 2 weeks, I'd be sure any landlord would accept the photos and agree they were in that state when the op moved in.

And yes I do know there's plenty of idiot landlords out there but they want to hold on to their tenants :)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Tell the landlord what you've noticed straight away, politely, and make it clear that you aren't complaining (unless you are). It'd be a right git that'd call you a liar after a fortnight. Landlord-Tenant should be like any other producer-consumer relationship - I know it isn't, but it does no harm to act that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

A "statement of condition" form should always be filled out, when moving in, if your Landlord/agency doesnt provide you with one, make up your own one.

Or at least send an email outlining the condition and ensure you get a response, and just hang onto it untill you leave.

But it does take a little while to notice these things, I reckon a week is a reasonable time frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

You could always just take photos and hang on to them. Make sure the dater/ time stamp is activated and turned on, on the camera. If anything comes of it when you leave, just show the photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭oohlala

Definitely tell him.

A few years ago a deposit was retained on an apartment i was living in due to one side of the coffe table being a bit wobbly. We had told the letting agency about it but the ll claimed they were never told and that the damage had been done after we moved in and kept the deposit of 2k!! took months and the ptrb to get it sorted

Advertisement