Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manager says I'm fired if I go on holiday

Options
  • 19-06-2010 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hey,

Last night my manager told me that I could not go on a holiday which had been booked after telling/asking him if i could go, his response was "oh right" and now, 3 weeks after booking he is telling me that I can't go and if I do he'll consider it walking out of the job and fire me.

Previously, I also asked what the story is with holiday pay and I was told that we don't get it, they add it on at the end of each year...something I was never informed of nor agreed too.

Any ideas what I can do? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

all depends on what it says on your contract, if you have one

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Davthalas

all depends on what it says on your contract, if you have one

I'm a bartender in a nightclub, do not have a contract at all. But the fact that he put up no objections and even chatted to me about my holiday and what I would do on it, and then 3 weeks later decides I can't go can't be ok can it?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

He must have said to his boss/night club owner that you were taking holidays and his boss probably had an issue with it.

How long have you worked there? if your only there a few months they might be afraid you'll take the holiday pay and not come back.

Surely more than one barman work there, what holiday entitlements have the other staff?

Have you asked him why the sudden change of mind regarding your holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

This probably not the best of advise but if it was me id say 'grand, no problem' as far as the holiday is concerned. Let him think you dont care.

Then, somewhere down the road he's going to really rely on you. When this happens, just walk out, and let him know why!

Hate people like that

I've been working there for 7 months now and by the time of the holiday I will have been there 8 months.

Without wanting to sound like i'm bragging I'm probably one of the most trusted/reliable staff there. Always on time, readily available for extra shifts if I'm needed. Trusted with cash handling, till counting. I've even been given my own radio and earpiece so I can stay in constant contact with the management and security staff. I'm even supposed to be helping one of the supervisors pick up the slack while the manager and the other supervisor are away on holidays in august at the same time.

The only reason I've been given for this is that its "first come first serve" and other staff want that week off, however surely he should have said that when I told him of my plans prior to booking.

And I doubt he has bothered the owners with it.

With all honesty my efforts since starting work there could only be described as tireless and I deserve 1 week off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

i think after 7 or 8 months working you deserve a break ffs what is he playing at......
    like the last poster probably not the best of advice but i'd find out who is over him and go to them at the end of the day he agreed to let you go on holiday you have now booked it will probably be out of pocket if you cancel wtf is that about
    as for holiday pay if you have no contract then it goes like this
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/act/pub/0020/index.html
    you are entitled to four weeks holidays per year if full time as per link above if you dont have a contract then you fall under the link above
    from a payroll point of view i paid employees their holiday pay weekly/monthly depending on which they where paid i have never heard of some one not being paid holiday pay if they are a paye worker if you invoice the company on a weekly/monthly basis for your services then its different your self employed and take holidays at your own expense
    it is sick that this manager is taking advantage of you in this way and if it where me i certainly would not be going above and beyond for them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Could he be chancing his arm?

Doesn’t want you to go on holidays and thinks if he threatens you then you won’t?

If you are such a trusted employee then it wouldn’t make sense for him to fire you over one week.

Obviously it’s your job and your life but if it was me I’d go and see what he has to say. Go back in after your holiday and if they have hired some one else then it hasn’t worked out. But chances are they wouldn’t have hired/trained some one in that short time.

Unless you think he would hold a grudge in which case I don’t know….

I feel terrible for you, what a horrible situation to be in.

Unfortunately I'm technically a part time worker, which brings me onto another subject. While the manager was saying I can't go (it was during a larger staff meeting) he also said that we can't make any plans for the rest of the week (our only garunteed shifts are fri and sat) incase he needs us, and that its part of the job. This was in specific reference to the fact that me and my mate who also works there told him on tuesday that we couldn't work thursday (which was a private party and thus an extra shift), something which he didn't like. Then he said we need to give 2 weeks notice if we won't be available mid week...so basically, your not allowed have a social life lol.

I'm not a ****ing doctor and I'm not paid enough to be on call....getting kinda sick of this place to be honest. I'm considering a complaint to the rights commission or NERA...or at the very least joining siptu :P

EDIT: Thanks for all the replies btw guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

firstly wouldnt bother with SIPTU or any other union pile of ****e i was having problems with my employer went to siptu and they where no help at all their great at taking money out of my account to pay for a subscription that i have cancelled numerous times (only cancelled after i ended up having to get a solicitor as siptu rep would not return my calls or email) although i have cancelled they keep setting it up again and keep taking it bty we had a no union policy in my job so i was the only one in it had been for years this was the first time ever i needed them and nothing money grabbing useless idiots

as for you being part time your still entitled to holidays they are worked out as followed You are entitled to 8 hours holiday pay for every 100 hours worked.

giving two weeks notice if you cant work what kind of rubbish is that who knows whats going to happen in two weeks time think this guy is on a bit of an ego trip just because he is a manager power going to the head and all that :mad: also i was a manager in retail granted a long time ago but never did i ask anyone to give two weeks notice regarding working....time tables where done on a weekly basis on the same day each week everyone knew what day so could put in for days off prior to that day and nine times out of ten everyone got what they wanted and all where happy

is their any chance of other work being out there for you and if not i would try not get so worried over it after all its only a part time job not a career and at the end of the day he is stuck their ego tripping in a pub ffs im sure you will go on to bigger and better things :D

Davthalas wrote: »
    Unfortunately I'm technically a part time worker, which brings me onto another subject. While the manager was saying I can't go (it was during a larger staff meeting) he also said that we can't make any plans for the rest of the week (our only garunteed shifts are fri and sat) incase he needs us, and that its part of the job. This was in specific reference to the fact that me and my mate who also works there told him on tuesday that we couldn't work thursday (which was a private party and thus an extra shift), something which he didn't like. Then he said we need to give 2 weeks notice if we won't be available mid week...so basically, your not allowed have a social life lol.

I'm not a ****ing doctor and I'm not paid enough to be on call....getting kinda sick of this place to be honest. I'm considering a complaint to the rights commission or NERA...or at the very least joining siptu :P

EDIT: Thanks for all the replies btw guys.

Id definately ring Nera. Dont take our word for it. To be honest that boss sounds like a total tosser and a bully

• Advertisement
Advertisement