Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunday spin

• 19-06-2010 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi, got a father's day pass and a glorious weather forecast so planning on a leisurely cycle tomorrow -sally gap , lughalla, laragh, back over the waterfall. Leaving Fairview c.9, could meet up with anyone interested at Dundrum or Yellow House at 10.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Ant

Hey Souter,

I'd a nice spin up in Glencree earlier today and I'm very tempted to head back out on the bike tomorrow. I also have a hankering to see the Sally Gap & venture further south than what I've been. If I don't drink too much tonight, I'd be on for it. If you PM your phone number, I'll ring you if I'm up for it in the morning.

Disclaimer: I've never cycled up Stocking Lane / Kilakee Road and there's a chance I won't be able to accompany you the whole way.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Hi Ant, sorry my organisational ineptitude rivals that of my cycling - only watched this post for an hour or so before drinking way too much myself.
    Did still get out on the road 1 hour after advertised and had a fantastic spin around Sally Gap.
    You're well able for Stocking Lane having done Powerscourt. Once you're up at Glencree it's one more modest climb to Kippure then your have the glories of Sally Gap before you. Sally Gap to Laragh is my most favourite route, downhill all the way through spectacular scenery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Spotted you descending from Lugalla ( was in car ,,, )

Sounds like you had a great spin out - and at a more convenient time for Saturday night drinking. :) I was happy enough to let the cycling muscles recover and go for a walk around Phoenix Park with a friend. Wandered up to the Pedal in the Park event they had for Bikeweek but just missed the bike polo which was the only thing I was really interested in seeing.

I'll be sure to give Stocking Lane a go some day soon. Hope to catch up with you some other time.

Spotted you descending from Lugalla ( was in car ,,, )

Ha, you must have recognised me by the rictus of fear and smoke coming from the brake blocks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Heard Dan Martin was cycling around Sally Gap and stopped for cake at the hippy cafe ( the owner said ) - If it's good enough for Dan Marting :P

I tried your route this evening and I have to say it took a lot out of me. I got lost on the south side and ended up taking the hard way up to the Viewing Point. Then the wind was against me after the turn-off for Glencree and I had to walk the last 40/50m up to the car-park next to Lough Bray.

After that, it was all wonderful scenery though I did feel a bit lonely as there was hardly anyone else around between the Lough Brays and Ballinastoe woods. I also reached my fastest cycling speed ever while descending the Old Long Hill - 80km/h :eek:

Fair play, was this still on the singlecross?
    Ant wrote: »
    I also reached my fastest cycling speed ever while descending the Old Long Hill - 80km/h :eek:
    Do not tell you were fixed! :eek: :eek:

souter wrote: »
    Fair play, was this still on the singlecross?
    Yup. It's still my only bike.
    Do not tell you were fixed! :eek: :eek:
    No. I was freewheeling downhill while using a nice knee-friendly 42-18 gear for the climbing. Fastest speed while riding fixed was 60km/h cycling down Howth Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

Ant wrote: »
    Yup. It's still my only bike.

No. I was freewheeling downhill while using a nice knee-friendly 42-18 gear for the climbing. Fastest speed while riding fixed was 60km/h cycling down Howth Hill.

I managed 72 on Howth before. Had a nasty fall about a year ago (not at that speed) which has knocked the stuffing out of me a bit. I don't have the same confidence I used to have for the old descents. Wish I got it back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement