Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of renting out my house

Options
  • 19-06-2010 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm on the breadline trying to pay the mortgage. Thinking of renting it out and renting somewhere myself for a while. Anyone got any advice or experience of this?
    Thanks,
    The house is near the airport in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

That idea might blow up in your face. Tenants are hard to come by these days and your house could be left vacant for a while, you'd be paying mortgage plus rent for your place which leaves you more heavily in debt. There's costs associated with renting out your house so it's not as profitable as it used to be.

Why not contact your mortgage provided and see what they can do for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Would it not make far more sense to stay there and rent out any spare rooms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Don't suppose you've thought about seeing if you can rent out a room in the house? I know the thoughts of a stranger on your floor might not appeal but it could be a means to an end even just for the short term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Not going to work. I'm a slob. You would not want to live with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

I know a few people who have become amateur landlords in recent years. Each of them is of the opinion that:

a. It is far more hassle and stress than they'd imagined
    b. They way overestimated the income they'd receive
    c. They way underestimated their maintenance expenditure

I think you need to be brutally, brutally honest/pessimistic about all of the above so you don't get into an even more stressful situation than you're currently in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

born2bwild wrote: »
    Not going to work. I'm a slob. You would not want to live with me.

It would likely work better than your plan. You will be liable for the current property tax as your property will not be you PPR. I think you will be liable for tax on any of the rental income that exceeds the interest payment of your mortgage. It will interfere with you interest relief if you are paying that and you could be liable for stamp duty clawback if you are less than two years in the house. You risk voids and non-payments from tenants and possible damage to your property.

Surely it makes a lot more sense for you to get a bit tidier and share the living space for a while? Tbh, it's a good lesson to learn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Yes, get off yer arse and have a WASH!

Advertisement