Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It's 122km from Castletownbere to Cork City for example on single carriageway

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ballbag05

What is actual start date of redevelopment and time scale of re opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

ballbag05 wrote: »

whats is the actual start date for the waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Lambofdave wrote: »
    whats is the actual start date for the waste of money.

A great, informative post.

Both the Football and Hurling county final's will have to be played before it closes. With the hurlers in the All-Ireland semi-final, you'll be talking maybe Nov or Dec before the wrecking ball comes in.

Probably looking at a 18 month or 2 year build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

It actually does not have a full planning permission yet, despite all the talk about it being demolished soon. A little presumptious. Decision due in September from An Bord Pleanala.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Work is supposed to start next January - not sure if thats on construction with demolision before that or not. I was told its meant to be done in time for the munster final next year but presume its the year after.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

During the last game the commentators kept saying it was the last match there, I presume they meant hurling so?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

TheChizler wrote: »
    During the last game the commentators kept saying it was the last match there, I presume they meant hurling so?
    Last inter-county match

Cork club championship finals will be played there for Senior & Premier Intermediate Hurling & football along with some other games I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sleephead

I cant see a definitive answer somewhere but are they basically knocking the covered stand, rebuilding with 2 tiers, but keeping the other 3 sides as is bar an upgrade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Sleephead wrote: »
    I cant see a definitive answer somewhere but are they basically knocking the covered stand, rebuilding with 2 tiers, but keeping the other 3 sides as is bar an upgrade?

New roof too on the other stand, I believe. Not sure what other work is being done.

They are knocking both the covered and uncovered stands. The uncovered stand however will be replaced with a similar structure with a new roof.

The structure of the uncovered stand isn't acceptable. The tunnel under it is nothing less than dangerous.

The more the basics of what are being undertaken are explained, the more baffling it becomes that €70m is being spent on this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

The whole area is a disgrace. Theres barns next to the City End terrace that people were actually walking through after the game last Sunday. There was thousands of people walking along what can only be called a dirt track heading out after the game. The whole stadium needs to be knocked, along with the surrounding area, and we need to start again.

Wont happen though, there wont be a new stadium at this site for a few decades yet. Too many nay-sayers 'standing up for the people'.

D'Agger wrote: »
    The more the basics of what are being undertaken are explained, the more baffling it becomes that €70m is being spent on this

In essence.

- Both the covered and uncovered stands are being knocked.
    - The covered stand is being replaced by a 2 tier stand with corporate boxes wedged between the 2 tiers
    - The uncovered stand is being replaced by a single tier covered stand
    - Both stands will have modern facilities and will be up to Croke Park standard
    - The structure of both terraces will remain
    - Facilities under the stands will be vastly improved such as toilets, shops etc and of course space. The tunnels are simply too dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

The only thing that is being demolished fully is the South stand, they're going to be taking the roof from the existing stand and using it for the north stand, with new roofing panels. also the lower terrace areas are to be demolished, to allow the new concourse to be constructed. The terraces will also be extended further back by around 5/6 rows.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

A great, informative post.

Like a great use of 30 million of tax payers money and what does the tax payer get in return? was this money given based on a business plan?

In essence.

- Both the covered and uncovered stands are being knocked.
    - The covered stand is being replaced by a 2 tier stand with corporate boxes wedged between the 2 tiers
    - The uncovered stand is being replaced by a single tier covered stand
    - Both stands will have modern facilities and will be up to Croke Park standard
    - The structure of both terraces will remain
    - Facilities under the stands will be vastly improved such as toilets, shops etc and of course space. The tunnels are simply too dangerous.
    Oh I know but I'm just baffled as per how it's costing the same as building a brand new stadium - without having to purchase land.

There are massive question marks over the fees involved here and I haven't seen any breakdown of costs for the project - I'd just like to see where the funds are going specifically as 70m could do a massive amount for Corks roads or multiple other facilities.

I do understand that the Marina is being redeveloped but how much so?

Hopefully more will be aired regarding the breakdown as the project comes closer to beginning.

They are knocking both the covered and uncovered stands. The uncovered stand however will be replaced with a similar structure with a new roof.

The structure of the uncovered stand isn't acceptable. The tunnel under it is nothing less than dangerous.

If true, I'm a little disappointed. I was hoping the new South stand was going to be the template for how the rest of the ground would look eventually. But if they're knocking and rebuilding the North stand too it's very unlikely it would be rebuilt to "South stand" specs any time in the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 florodon2

D'Agger wrote: »
    Oh I know but I'm just baffled as per how it's costing the same as building a brand new stadium - without having to purchase land.

There are massive question marks over the fees involved here and I haven't seen any breakdown of costs for the project - I'd just like to see where the funds are going specifically as 70m could do a massive amount for Corks roads or multiple other facilities.

I do understand that the Marina is being redeveloped but how much so?

Hopefully more will be aired regarding the breakdown as the project comes closer to beginning.

Yes.
    And with the government throwing in 40 million or more, will we see the Public Accounts Committee calling Cork GAA before it to explain where the money is being spent?
    Will we ever know the real cost of Frank's Folly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

who_me wrote: »
    If true, I'm a little disappointed. I was hoping the new South stand was going to be the template for how the rest of the ground would look eventually. But if they're knocking and rebuilding the North stand too it's very unlikely it would be rebuilt to "South stand" specs any time in the foreseeable future.

It was explained in the match program. It said that the Uncovered stand would remain but capacity would be reduced so there'll be more leg room. The terraces will have new entrances up the back.

There's a rumor going around that the current roof will go over to the uncovered stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Like a great use of 30 million of tax payers money and what does the tax payer get in return? was this money given based on a business plan?

Not everything in life must be done according to a business plan. The tax payer gets a state of the art facility where they can enjoy our national games, or perhaps even watch their kids tog out there some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

calnand wrote: »
    The only thing that is being demolished fully is the South stand, they're going to be taking the roof from the existing stand and using it for the north stand, with new roofing panels. also the lower terrace areas are to be demolished, to allow the new concourse to be constructed. The terraces will also be extended further back by around 5/6 rows.

it was already stated from Cork that they are not moving the existing roof over. The thing would fall apart in a year and be very costly to replace.

who_me wrote: »

If in 20 years all 4 sides were to look like the new stand it would be a 60k all seater i'd imagine. way to big and unnecessary

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Not everything in life must be done according to a business plan. The tax payer gets a state of the art facility where they can enjoy our national games, or perhaps even watch their kids tog out there some day.
    It would be great if they actually used it. At current usage levels, it doesn't make sense. Also, given the large donation from the taxpayer, I assume they are going to open it up to other sports!?

yenom wrote: »
    It was explained in the match program. It said that the Uncovered stand would remain but capacity would be reduced so there'll be more leg room. The terraces will have new entrances up the back.

There's a rumor going around that the current roof will go over to the uncovered stand.

That's "better" in my view - since I'd prefer to see a more substantial upgrade in the future rather than a piecemeal one now.

I heard the rumour about the roof too, sounds very dubious. You'd have thought the cost of carefully dismantling a roof in order to re-use it would be a lot more than the cost of just putting up a new one. It sounds (to me!) more like someone looked at a photo and reckoned the North stand roof looks like the existing South stand roof and 2+2=22..

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

Just like the business plans for the Croke Park redevelopment and landsdowne rd redevelopments of a combined cost of 450 million, I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sleephead

The fact that theres been such a large land grab involved and also the large amount of taxpayers money, it really should be made a municipal stadium, and Football and Rugby should be allowed in there too.

At least then its a good use of resources.

The fact that theres been such a large land grab involved and also the large amount of taxpayers money, it really should be made a municipal stadium, and Football and Rugby should be allowed in there too.

At least then its a good use of resources.

and should the GAA be allowed into the Aviva, Thomond, Musgrave and Ravenhill? The IRFU don't need more stadiums. They have enough trouble filling Thomond as it is.

Any word on this lately? Any resident groups kicking up a fuss? Is work due to start anything next year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    and should the GAA be allowed into the Aviva, Thomond, Musgrave and Ravenhill?
    Not unless you want a severely cramped pitch. So no, they shouldn't.

Advertisement