Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Any word on this lately? Any resident groups kicking up a fuss? Is work due to start anything next year?

The GAA and the Ballintemple Residents Association came to an agreement and the Ballintemple folks withdrew their objection. All good to go for demolition in February.

'Twas in the examiner during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Happy days.

With this, CityGate 3, Alberts Quay and the convention centre hopefully getting underway - Cork is on the right track towards growing and attracting people in.

Whether this will be used as much as it should remains to be seen, but I hope the marina is developed well and it proves to be a great venue for Munster Championships and AI quarters like Limerick for the Mayo Kerry game this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

CityGate 3 ?

CityGate 3 ?

There's talks of a third city gate development going in near the first one where vhi is - closer to the junction towards aldi - there used to be a car park that's been levelled in the past few weeks - don't mean to turn the thread OT - May setup it's own one tomorrow if I can find more info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Not unless you want a severely cramped pitch. So no, they shouldn't.

SO should the Aviva been build with an extra 10 yards at each end to accommodate the GAA? And Thomond and Ravenhill....

Ravenhill hosted a charity GAA match recently and it looked fine when you put the GAA posts behind the dead ball line. So with an extra 10 years you'd have loads of space.

These things work both ways. You can't go asking the GAA to share all their grounds and then not ask the FAI and the IRFU to share theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Subpopulus wrote: »
    The GAA and the Ballintemple Residents Association came to an agreement and the Ballintemple folks withdrew their objection. All good to go for demolition in February.

'Twas in the examiner during the week.

What a coincidence! I don't read the paper and rarely read the others so missed it. Do we know the details? Reduced capacity? Increased community facilities? Brown envelopes?
    D'Agger wrote: »
    Happy days.

With this, CityGate 3, Alberts Quay and the convention centre hopefully getting underway - Cork is on the right track towards growing and attracting people in.

Whether this will be used as much as it should remains to be seen, but I hope the marina is developed well and it proves to be a great venue for Munster Championships and AI quarters like Limerick for the Mayo Kerry game this year

Good to hear. Was down in Cork early last year and thought it was a lovely city. All these projects are much needed and hopefully many more in the coming years are announced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

SO should the Aviva been build with an extra 10 yards at each end to accommodate the GAA? And Thomond and Ravenhill....
    Should they? No, not in my mind. The 'wasted' spaces of green takes the fans further away from the action.
    Could they? Unlikely. They squeezed as much space as they could. An extra 20yards wasn't possibly for the Aviva/Thomand. So again no.
    These things work both ways. You can't go asking the GAA to share all their grounds and then not ask the FAI and the IRFU to share theirs.
    I'm not asking them to to share their grounds.
    The GAA will ensure that they are financially rewarded if their grounds are hired/used.
    They'll be no favors done by the GAA, which is their right; as per the usage of Croker, they'll be seeking compo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

wasting taxpayers money, on a private organisation. If public money is being used it should be publicly owned. goes for the new concert centre as well. No doubt property taxes well be increased to pay for all these projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

Dob74 wrote: »
    wasting taxpayers money, on a private organisation. If public money is being used it should be publicly owned. goes for the new concert centre as well. No doubt property taxes well be increased to pay for all these projects.
    A bit off topic but isn't taxpayers money "wasted" on all sorts of things like bloated public sector pensions, etc. At least with projects like this there is a return for the taxpayer. Didn't hear comments like this when hundreds of millions of taxpayers money was being spent on similar projects in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

Has this started yet ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Michael.. wrote: »
    Has this started yet ?

Old stadium being knocked at the end if the month so it is underway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Demolished? Is this a full rebuild or a refurbishment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Yurt! wrote: »
    Demolished? Is this a full rebuild or a refurbishment?

Mostly a sticky tape and plaster job over €30m of our taxes for Franks memorial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Its a fairly unimpressive upgrade rather than total rebuild but sure all the money was needed for Croke Park which can't even be used to host large gigs.

Large stadia need to be on transit routes and in Irish terms that means motorway.

A big stadium off the M50 would have made more sense. Preferably with a link into the intercity mainline that serves the big population centres : Cork, Limerick, Galway, SW etc.

In Cork I think they should have considered a new municipal stadium somwhere accessible like on the Midleton Road. There's space and both motorway and train access there and it's only minutes from the city centre in reality.

The Marina had in contrast almost no parking and is only accessible via congested city streets .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The Marina had in contrast almost no parking and is only accessible via congested city streets .

I agree it needs some parking, but it's near the city, near the N25, easy access from dublin/waterford side and it's even on the river.. maybe some enterprising boaty person will set up a water-taxi for matches.

pwurple wrote: »
    I agree it needs some parking, but it's near the city, near the N25, easy access from dublin/waterford side and it's even on the river.. maybe some enterprising boaty person will set up a water-taxi for matches.

Remember back in the early 90's a few boats would always been ferrying across from Tivoli. Quite a long walk from the City compared to other stadia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

For health and safety reasons that's not going to happen as there aren't proper jetties and marinas on each side to safely board and disembark passengers.

There's way too much risk of someone falling into the water.

If there were actual ferry / water taxi terminals at each side it would be fine.

We've come on a long way in terms of general safety issues since those days!!

SpaceTime wrote: »
    For health and safety reasons that's not going to happen as there aren't proper jetties and marinas on each side to safely board and disembark passengers.

There's way too much risk of someone falling into the water.

If there were actual ferry / water taxi terminals at each side it would be fine.

We've come on a long way in terms of general safety issues since those days!!

True. Was there not talk back in the celtic tigers days of a water bus to Passage?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

Cape Clear wrote: »
    True. Was there not talk back in the celtic tigers days of a water bus to Passage?

There was a feasability study done at the time and they did not proceed and that was during the Celtic tiger as you say.

This 'water bus' will never happen in all probability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

I'm not a huge fan of the design but I'm glad they're getting it started. To be fair, the park around it - although reduced in size - looks fantastic. Looking forward to spending lots of summer evenings down there at concerts and matches :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

dinneenp wrote: »

Nice photos there. The tunnel looks very narrow considering the amount of people that use to go through it when the place was full. Very little money if any spent on the place from the day it opened.

I'd forgotten how rough it looked. It's more like a cattle mart or a power station than a sporting stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

it really takes you back to the old football grounds in England pre-Hillsborough. I'm surprised it was still allowed to host big games in the last 10 years or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Sounds Dreamy

The northern stand of the stadium is being demolished. This was never in the planning application. How much will this add to the project cost considering a new stand will need to be constructed on the northern side. The €70m budget is starting to look very optimistic now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Sounds like the GAA up to their old tricks.

The northern stand of the stadium is being demolished. This was never in the planning application. How much will this add to the project cost considering a new stand will need to be constructed on the northern side. The €70m budget is starting to look very optimistic now.
    That's outrageous! Disgusted if true

Looks like the GAA raising are raising two fingers to the planning authorities...

I can't fathom exactly what's going on here, but it looks like we're in the opening chapter of a long-running saga going over and back between the City Council, the GAA, the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport and numerous other bodies, as they engage in interminable discussions about what's going on, who's paying for what, what's being built where and when, followed by court challenges, lengthy standoffs, angry threats, disillusioned city folk, and then followed by the eventual construction of a compromised stadium several years later than expected, with much residual bitterness souring the atmosphere for decades to come.

• Advertisement

Subpopulus wrote: »
    Looks like the GAA raising are raising two fingers to the planning authorities...

I can't fathom exactly what's going on here, but it looks like we're in the opening chapter of a long-running saga going over and back between the City Council, the GAA, the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport and numerous other bodies, as they engage in interminable discussions about what's going on, who's paying for what, what's being built where and when, followed by court challenges, lengthy standoffs, angry threats, disillusioned city folk, and then followed by the eventual construction of a compromised stadium several years later than expected, with much residual bitterness souring the atmosphere for decades to come.
    Well, if that's what's happened then funding should be pulled & the CCB (who I'm assuming would be responsible for that change) should be left hanging

Advertisement