Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Cape Clear wrote: »
    What dates would these potential matches be played?

The weekend of 22/23 April. If they have to decide on a venue very quickly, then I'd say they'll go with the Aviva....actually thinking about it, as Leinster can't get a home SF and Munster would be playing Saracens (if both win their QFs) who wouldn't have a big travelling support, it probably will be the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Video preview of how the finished product is going to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

There is a rumour going around that construction is three months behind schedule.

lukin wrote: »
    There is a rumour going around that construction is three months behind schedule.

It was always a tight deadline to be ready for June anyway. To get where they have got to is pretty good tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

lukin wrote: »

Wheter it is or it isnt, Im not sure why they'v limited themselves to opening next June. Theres so much more to be done, take the time needed and go out and do it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Always thought it was optimistic wanting to play a game in July considering for H&S reasons you have to have a couple of limited capacity soft openings before you you can pack the place with 45'000 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭lukin

Wouldn't surprise me if it's true. The Cork county board couldn't organise a piss-up in brewery.

LViUs8E.jpg

LViUs8E.jpg

I drove past it myself yesterday, really impressive stand thought it dwarfs the other stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Mumha wrote: »
    I drove past it myself yesterday, really impressive stand thought it dwarfs the other stand.

Is it a reflection of how Frankeen views the world.... sort out a nice comfy seat for
    Himself and his cronies and feck the rest!

Shame they put all that money into a stadium that will be out of date from the get go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

kcb wrote: »

Shame they put all that money into a stadium that will be out of date from the get go.

I have to agree.
    Essentially the have left the 2 terrace ends the same and have thrown a roof on the north stand.
    The style of the stadium will look outdated from day one I think.

I do think the South stand may become somewhat of a cash cow for the GAA though with its corporate facilities that will be used to host conferences and the like, and I think the GAA have made the South stand their priority to the detriment of the entire stadium design.

cork_south wrote: »
    I have to agree.
    Essentially the have left the 2 terrace ends the same and have thrown a roof on the north stand.

I do think the South stand may become somewhat of a cash cow for the GAA though with its corporate facilities that will be used to host conferences and the like, and I think the GAA have made the South stand their priority to the detriment of the entire stadium design.
    Its actually taller all around but I know what you mean.
    Agree with your second park, buts its the GAA, one of the worst run organisations in the country when it comes to moving forward or thinking about the future.

I'll hold my own judgement on looks i think until its finished and a decent crowd in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Its actually taller all around but I know what you mean.
    Agree with your second park, buts its the GAA, one of the worst run organisations in the country when it comes to moving forward or thinking about the future.

I'll hold my own judgement on looks i think until its finished and a decent crowd in place.

Was this approved by the planners?

cork_south wrote: »
    I have to agree.

It definitely looks odd to have a monster stand dwarfing the rest of it. The Terraces do look bigger (from memory) and I suppose the GAA have no problem with hooliganism, so I can see why they'd want to keep standing. If they were forward thinking, they'd install those safe standing seats that they have on German terraces

218217d1327258715-safe-standing-safe-standing.jpg

I'd be concerned that the rest of the stadium will look cheap.

Couldn't tell you about that. But going by this they certainly look taller...

V9ljdfY.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Joey Jo-Jo Junior

What do you mean was it approved by the planners? They'd hardly rebuild a stadium and hope the planners don't notice.

What do you mean was it approved by the planners? They'd hardly rebuild a stadium and hope the planners don't notice.

I suggest you read over the thread as parts of the stadium were demolished without permission from the planners. I wouldn't put any thing past Frankie and his cronies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I suggest you read over the thread as parts of the stadium were demolished without permission from the planners. I wouldn't put any thing past Frankie and his cronies.

To be fair i think the planners were ok with the demolision a new structures approach once the final product matched what it was supposed to look like in planning.

My issue is that they knew an almost full demolision was on the cards from very early on in the process and they could have designed the stadium with a blank canvas instead of pretending they were going to retain the old structure.

But then again which were gonna have more chance to get funding for
    (my figures could be totally off here)

1. A 60m "redevelopment" + plus "unforeseen" overruns costing €20m to be begged for after the point of no return
    or
    2. A 80m new stadium funded up front.

While i have come round to the design a bit more i am still disappointed that they missed out on building something a bit more elegant.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Even if you are demolishing an old cottage, you have to keep some of the existing structure in place. That was the problem they had.

I was told recently that levelling the lot and building a new uniform bowl stadium would not get planning and that even the original stadium had planning issues back in the 1970s
    lbj666 wrote: »
    To be fair i think the planners were ok with the demolision a new structures approach once the final product matched what it was supposed to look like in planning.

My issue is that they knew an almost full demolision was on the cards from very early on in the process and they could have designed the stadium with a blank canvas instead of pretending they were going to retain the old structure.

But then again which were gonna have more chance to get funding for
    (my figures could be totally off here)

1. A 60m "redevelopment" + plus "unforeseen" overruns costing €20m to be begged for after the point of no return
    or
    2. A 80m new stadium funded up front.

While i have come round to the design a bit more i am still disappointed that they missed out on building something a bit more elegant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Whether it's the Gah, the developer or the planners ... it's just typical Ireland ! A pity - for the same sort of cash you'd have got a decent covered stadium with hospitality all round. Something that could host a Europa League final or the likes in the future.

• Advertisement

kcb wrote: »
    Whether it's the Gah, the developer or the planners ... it's just typical Ireland ! A pity - for the same sort of cash you'd have got a decent covered stadium with hospitality all round. Something that could host a Europa League final or the likes in the future.
    Don't think you could for 80 million, no way. And when Lansdowne road cost over €400 million. The caparative 32'000 seat Ricoh Arena cost £113 million.
    They've gone for capacity over quality.

Also in case people forget, a GAA pitch is significantly bigger than a football pitch also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

kcb wrote:

You wouldn't really and the stadium would have to be 40,000 minimum to host Munster finals, you'd be looking at over 100 million which isn't there. I do think they should have developed north and south stands of similar size though and down the line complete bowl all round.

case885 wrote: »
    You wouldn't really and the stadium would have to be 40,000 minimum to host Munster finals, you'd be looking at over 100 million which isn't there. I do think they should have developed north and south stands of similar size though and down the line complete bowl all round.
    Agree that last part. Unlike other new stadia in Dublin Ireland, there is plenty of room all round for expansion at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Was the £113 million just for the stadium or did it include everything in that development

This highlights grounds that were done for far less in the UK and beyond

https://ewanmackenna.wordpress.com/2015/04/23/grounds-for-concern/
    Don't think you could for 80 million, no way. And when Lansdowne road cost over €400 million. The caparative 32'000 seat Ricoh Arena cost £113 million.
    They've gone for capacity over quality.

Also in case people forget, a GAA pitch is significantly bigger than a football pitch also.

Was the £113 million just for the stadium or did it include everything in that development

This highlights grounds that were done for far less in the UK and beyond

https://ewanmackenna.wordpress.com/2015/04/23/grounds-for-concern/
    Don't know what the breakdown was, that's just the total that kept coming up.

As regards the article, the stadiums mentioned were built between 10 and 15 years ago when construction was (relatively) cheap. The Forsyth Barr Stadium came in around €135 million and not rhe €86 million he mentions. And once again they are smaller than the capacity wanted and are built around smaller football pitches.

Now, I'm not totally defending the look and make up of the new Pairc, but to suggest you could build a 35'000 - 45'000 all seater stadium with vast corporate and function facilities in this country for the budget given is just nonsense.

Agree that last part. Unlike other new stadia in Dublin Ireland, there is plenty of room all round for expansion at a later date.

I suppose it's beyond hope that they would have put enough foundations to support a bigger north stand in time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Strong rumours within GAA circles that it will be known as "Vodafone Pairc Ui Chaoimh" or something along those lines.

CHealy wrote: »
    Strong rumours within GAA circles that it will be known as "Vodafone Pairc Ui Chaoimh" or something along those lines.

The Vodafone Frankie Bowl

Tanora Bowl?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Mumha wrote: »
    It definitely looks odd to have a monster stand dwarfing the rest of it. The Terraces do look bigger (from memory) and I suppose the GAA have no problem with hooliganism, so I can see why they'd want to keep standing. If they were forward thinking, they'd install those safe standing seats that they have on German terraces

218217d1327258715-safe-standing-safe-standing.jpg

I'd be concerned that the rest of the stadium will look cheap.
    What are you on about? I've been to many many GAA games and stood in many terraces and it's almost always good natured banter between fans. You'll always get a few bad apples but my God the atmosphere compared to a soccer game in the UK or Europe is night and day.

Advertisement