Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

What are you on about? I've been to many many GAA games and stood in many terraces and it's almost always good natured banter between fans. You'll always get a few bad apples but my God the atmosphere compared to a soccer game in the UK or Europe is night and day.

Over crowding would be my biggest fear at a GAA ground but modern health & safety has lessened this risk over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭irelandrover

What are you on about? I've been to many many GAA games and stood in many terraces and it's almost always good natured banter between fans. You'll always get a few bad apples but my God the atmosphere compared to a soccer game in the UK or Europe is night and day.

Isn't that exactly what they said. THere are NO issues with hooliganism so they can keep standing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Isn't that exactly what they said. THere are NO issues with hooliganism so they can keep standing.

Yes you're right. My bad. Apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Cape Clear wrote: »
    The Vodafone Frankie Bowl

I was hoping for the Veuve Clicquot Parc des Frank

Just to follow on from irelandrover, yes there is no hooliganism on GAA terraces, I was just pointing out the German terrace model of terrace seats, known as Safe Standing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,417 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Mumha wrote: »
    Just to follow on from irelandrover, yes there is no hooliganism on GAA terraces, I was just pointing out the German terrace model of terrace seats, known as Safe Standing.
    It's totally irrelevant here tho.

German Safe Standing was brought in to get around UEFA laws. PUC has no such problem so can just use normal standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Shedite27 wrote: »
    It's totally irrelevant here tho.

German Safe Standing was brought in to get around UEFA laws. PUC has no such problem so can just use normal standing.

not sure about that , European competitions have to be all seater including in Germany, they are allowed to have standing in the Bundesliga.

lbj666 wrote: »
    not sure about that , European competitions have to be all seater including in Germany, they are allowed to have standing in the Bundesliga.

And it makes it more comfortable for those on the terraces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

Some update pictures for whoever is interested

rlfdvn.jpg
    2w3vzoh.jpg
    30nekg4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

• Advertisement

DoAGshf.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Great to see it taking shape

Credit @CelticLiam88 via twitter

414243.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

there plans for this to be used for other sports?

lawred2 wrote: »
    there plans for this to be used for other sports?
    At the moment, only the Rugby World Cup bid for 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

What a shame, Cork's new Pairc looks like it was designed by four different architectural technicians. Awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

mire wrote: »
    What a shame, Cork's new Pairc looks like it was designed by four different architectural technicians. Awful.

As a piece of design, it is a dogs dinner alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ya, I pass it every day going to work and its 100% a case of what could have been, the main stand is very impressive looking.

Its a shame theres 2 uncovered stands for the money this will be eventually built for, even the stand thats covered just looks like the old setup with a new roof.

I think a fully covered stadium with a slightly smaller main stand would have been the best option for future proofing it but as it stands now, it just looks like a renovation with a fancy new stand.

Not being a follower of GAA it wont effect me but it could have been so much more for those that will use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,417 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'm very happy with it. Looks a modern version of the Parc that we've grown up with. Brings all the comfort and amenities we want in a new stadium together with the memories of the old stadium. Building another boring stadium with covered seating all the way round would have lost that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

I must admit, it does look very impressive in person. It looks a lot bigger in person also. It would've made more sense to cover all of the stands but the roof does look good by itself. It would be nice to see the area around it developed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Building another boring stadium with covered seating all the way round would have lost that.

keeps patrons dry though.

I won't disagree with all the negative things you guy/gals have to say about it because to an extent you all make valid points.
    Its just that its been the same points moaned and argued over and over again and at this stage its not going to change anything. Its far from perfect but a lot better than what used to be there.
    And look, unlike the two big stadiums up in Dublin, it would have no problem with space to expand in the future.

I won't disagree with all the negative things you guy/gals have to say about it because to an extent you all make valid points.
    Its just that its been the same points moaned and argued over and over again and at this stage its not going to change anything. Its far from perfect but a lot better than what used to be there.
    And look, unlike the two big stadiums up in Dublin, it would have no problem with space to expand in the future.

Just because it's now built doesn't mean that people can't offer their opinion on the finished product. It's a rubbish design and a real shame.

I'm very happy with it. Looks a modern version of the Parc that we've grown up with. Brings all the comfort and amenities we want in a new stadium together with the memories of the old stadium. Building another boring stadium with covered seating all the way round would have lost that.

The redevelopment has managed to simultaneously destroy the simple unity and coherence of the old stadium and falls to replace it with anything bold or imaginative imaginative. It's a dogs dinner imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

It's perfect for Cork GAA. One nice cozy stand for Franky and co. to sit in. And **** the rest!

I assume the TV cameras will be in Franks stand, so basically when watching a game on TV it will look no different to Thurles or somewhere!

Amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

The architects should be shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

The colour of the seats is pissing me off. Why not go with red and white?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The colour of the seats is pissing me off. Why not go with red and white?

There probably wasn't a soccer stadium in England selling red and white seats.

mire wrote: »
    Just because it's now built doesn't mean that people can't offer their opinion on the finished product. It's a rubbish design and a real shame.
    Join the list of all the others with the same point. Getting boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

If they done it right the first time theyed not have to expand it, the capacity is about spot on for what it is, its just the design is very dis-jointed and looks a mess.

They built it, IMO, with the bottom line as the main issue. Throw in 1 good stand with VIP and corporate facilities, cover one of the other stands and rebuild and redevelop the behind the goals stands.

I dont think the stadium will be changed again in my life time either, whats there now will be there for another 50+ years and wont be touched or expanded.

That being said, its a much better stadium than the one it replaced, which was just a horrible concrete shambles and if the surronding area is developed too it will be a much nicer place, especially ona sunny day, the walk down the marina and pond can be a nice place to be.

Advertisement