Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

CHealy wrote: »
    Also both are souless generic all seated bowls with absolutely no defining character. At the start of this PUiC process I was dissapointed they werent going to try build an entire new stadium but now that I see it, Im so glad they kept the terraces, not much better than being on the Blackrock End on Munster Final day in the sun.

Exactly. Give me the traditions and shape of PUC any day of the week.

UK Soccer stadiums need to cater for games in winter - PUC doesn't. Different requirements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Exactly. Give me the traditions and shape of PUC any day of the week.

UK Soccer stadiums need to cater for games in winter - PUC doesn't. Different requirements

And I suppose that's where we see things differently.

I'd like to see a comfortable multi-purpose marketable stadium that serves the people of Cork across all sports.

Not just for a GAA game in June once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

kcb wrote: »

I'd like to see a comfortable multi-purpose marketable stadium that serves the people of Cork across all sports.

I'd like to see that too. But that wasn't what the designers/builders/funders wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Also both are souless generic all seated bowls with absolutely no defining character. At the start of this PUiC process I was dissapointed they werent going to try build an entire new stadium but now that I see it, Im so glad they kept the terraces, not much better than being on the Blackrock End on Munster Final day in the sun.

Yeah I prefer the terraces myself and is why I preferred the old Lansdowne Road to the Aviva when you had the North and South terraces behind the goals but unfortunalty for the soccer they needed all seater stadiums. It's a pity they didn't look it the safe standing system they use in Germany.
    kcb wrote: »

But who would use it? Munster have Thomond which at 26,000 is even too big for them bar four games a year maybe five or six if they get a home QF in Europe and a home SF in the league, the FAI and IRFU play all matches in the Aviva and always will unless the IRFU decide to play one of the less glamerous test games in Thomond even then they've only done this once since the Aviva was opened nearly five years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

As is the case with nearly all architecture in Ireland there is zero imagination on display in terms of design, aesthetics or overall appearance. It's as if the architect was asked to build the least interesting or attractive stadium possible. Why bother building something so bland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

who_ru wrote: »
    As is the case with nearly all architecture in Ireland there is zero imagination on display in terms of design, aesthetics or overall appearance. It's as if the architect was asked to build the least interesting or attractive stadium possible. Why bother building something so bland?

€70m isn't going to get you very far in terms of architectural features in a stadium. It'll build you a fairly straightforward and simple design which is what we got.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

namloc1980 wrote: »
    €70m isn't going to get you very far in terms of architectural features in a stadium. It'll build you a fairly straightforward and simple design which is what we got.

Exactly, and people forget that the purpose was largely for the building of the new South stand. The bowl shape was good imo, but it looks like the terraces are now even steeper, which should give everyone better sightlines. €70, even €100m is great value compared to the Aviva's €400m for 52K. It also compares well against the €40m it cost to build 26K Thomond Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/five-year-finance-option-offered-for-premium-pairc-ui-chaoimh-tickets-448636.html

Tuesday, April 25, 2017Michael Moynihan
    Details have emerged of the payment plan for the 10-year premium-level tickets for the newly developed P?irc U? Chaoimh, with purchasers being offered the option of a financing option for the €6,500 tickets operated directly by the Cork County Board over five years.

The financing option entails a payment of €2,000 for the first year, €1,500 for the next two years, and €1,000 for the final two years, making a total of €7,000 for the ticket.

P?irc U? Chaoimh ticket sales manager Patrick Doyle pointed to the attractiveness of the package.

“We’re responding to the market,” said Doyle.

“This is an approach taken with other stadia, so we decided to take the bull by the horns ourselves.

“There are a lot of committed GAA people out there who may not have all the money up front, so we wanted to give them the option.

“As a result people will be dealing with us directly for financing, rather than the banks, and they’ll get an excellent rate as a result, an equivalent APR of 2% per annum; if you went for a personal loan, the rate could be nine-to-11%. We want to make it more affordable for our purchasers, and they will only deal with us.”

Doyle said there is a limited facility to show potential purchasers where their seats will be in the stadium, adding that ticket sales are “healthy”.

“We’re in a position now to offer quick guided tours to people who are serious about purchasing seats.

“Obviously, we’re still dealing with a building site, so we’re limited in what we can do, in that regard, but people can now see seats that they’ve bought.

"Now, we’re coming into championship season, and the opening date is getting closer, so the momentum is building up, but sales are healthy, and we hope this will add even more momentum to that.”

Doyle said the premium ticket also guarantees purchasers free access to county championship games anywhere in the county.

“It’s probably only just filtering into people’s minds that the premium ticket for P?irc U? Chaoimh will also get you into any county championship game in Cork for the next 10 years, as well.

“So, if you want to go to the Barrs v Castlehaven on a fine summer’s evening down in Drimoleague, you have free entry to that.

“That doesn’t cover divisional games, but for GAA supporters who might go to two or three county championship games in a weekend, [that’s] 20 or 30 of those over the course of a summer, so it’s very good value.”

Those buying the tickets are assured of: “Best seats for all GAA matches in the stadium; free entry to all county championship matches in Cork county; guaranteed advance access to concert tickets in your premium seat; priority access to 15,000 square foot conference space and exceptional food and beverage options available at all events”.

Interested parties are advised to contact (021) 4963360 or to email: premium@paircuichaoimh.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Two tech things I leaned today while I was at the stadium....

1. Vodafone will be providing free WiFi in all parts of the stadium on matchdays.
    2. There will be an 18m wide big screen installed on the West terrace, but not until early 2018.

Also have loads of pictures if people are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,164 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Love to view the pictures of you could post them. That be savage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Vodafone to sponsor stadium?

case885 wrote: »
    Vodafone to sponsor stadium?
    It wasn't mentioned but you would imagine there will be alot a Vodafone sponsorship around the place.
    It will be the fasted speed setup of its type in any stadium in Europe apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

It wasn't mentioned but you would imagine there will be alot a Vodafone sponsorship around the place.
    It will be the fasted speed setup of its type in any stadium in Europe apparently.
    Will it be of any use? I mean, most people have a data plan on their phone already, so not sure of the benefit of high speed. Well, unless some people want to watch Netflix in HD while waiting for the game to start :D

First batch, all from the South Stand.
    Reduced size/quality to fit boards. I'll maybe upload originals at the end.

Players Tunnel:
    416732.jpg

Bottom Tier Left:
    416733.jpg

Bottom Tier Right:
    416734.jpg

Bottom Tier Middle:
    416735.jpg

All-Weather Pitch Viewing Area
    416736.jpg

Sunday Game Studio:
    416739.jpg

Premium Section: (Incl. Cushioned Seats)
    416740.jpg

Premium Section Center View: (Probably the only time I'll get to sit here so I took my chance :D)
    416741.jpg

VIP Section? (Not really sure what this area is for, 4 small rows of seats and a large open outdoor area behind)
    416742.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Joey Jo-Jo Junior

Thanks for that. The stands seem to be almost complete. It's scheduled to open in around a month, right? Did they say they were on schedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

Thanks for that. The stands seem to be almost complete. It's scheduled to open in around a month, right? Did they say they were on schedule?

Pass by there most days. Doesn't look on schedule to me for opening in a month. Happy to be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

SkySter wrote: »
    Pass by there most days. Doesn't look on schedule to me for opening in a month. Happy to be wrong.

pity it wont be open in time for the Waterford vs Tipp/Cork munster hurling semi final on the 18th June.

hopefully Waterford will play there soon. Are ye going to do what Dublin do for the leagues and have double headers with both the hurlers and footballers playing ??. We due to play ye in Cork in the league next year

It looks nice the new small stand looks like the old covered seating stand. Hopefully they fixed the cramped tunnels

Coming out of Bruce Springsteen in 2013 was like a death trap esp with minimal light in the old greyhound place next door

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    It looks nice the new small stand looks like the old covered seating stand. Hopefully they fixed the cramped tunnels

Coming out of Bruce Springsteen in 2013 was like a death trap esp with minimal light in the old greyhound place next door

The entire stadium was knocked in the end so while the plans say its a refurb, in reality its a brand new stadium bar a few support beams for the terraces which you wouldnt be able to see either way.

The entire stadium was knocked in the end so while the plans say its a refurb, in reality its a brand new stadium bar a few support beams for the terraces which you wouldnt be able to see either way.

A friend of mine who is working down there, said you can still see those old concrete supports. Actually he was hugely impressed with the sheer size of the terraces, he reckons the noise generated from full terraces will be outstanding.

• Advertisement

Next batch. Few more to go still......

West Terrace:
    qSnVttn.jpg

South Stand Tunnel View 1:
    t05LvWd.jpg

South Stand Tunnel View 2:
    T0kjWIo.jpg

East Terrace 1:
    znfBE23.jpg

East Terrace 2:
    IpeJvBQ.jpg

East Entrance:
    d1s6hwq.jpg

South Stand:
    3n78Qsj.jpg

North Stand Pitch View 1:
    doSCq9e.jpg

North Stand Pitch View 2:
    hJfM00O.jpg

South Stand Pitch View 1:
    x4hZM6A.jpg

South Stand Pitch View 2:
    jBAmMzr.jpg

- Bonus South Stand (@PaircUiCha0imh retweeted and all :pac:)
    irUxRsC.jpg

Whatever about being ready for a championship game, coming from someone in the know, for Health & Safety and security reasons there needs to be two or preferably three soft-openings with limited capacities. So you'd think there would have to be a minor or exhibition game there of sorts first.
    Mumha wrote: »
    A friend of mine who is working down there, said you can still see those old concrete supports. Actually he was hugely impressed with the sheer size of the terraces, he reckons the noise generated from full terraces will be outstanding.
    True, as you can see above the old supports are still visible and the terraces are infact taller then they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DMGACC

Cheers for the photos scrubsfanchris.

I personally think they made quite a decent job of it. Don't know what people expect for 70-80m. It seems to have plenty leg space while retaining the old steep sides and terracing, I think it be great place to watch a match. And seems to have decent conference facilities etc. The fact there are so many ppl moaning about the colours of the seats just goes to show some ppl just love to moan.

And I don't know what relevance comparing the price to stadiums that were built around smaller pitches in other countries almost 20 years ago has.

I'd be interested to know scrubsfanchris- how far along is the furnishing/ fit out of premium section and commercial units etc. Looking at your pictures I find it hard to believe it will be fully completed in a months time?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

DMGACC wrote: »

I personally think they made quite a decent job of it. Don't know what people expect for 70-80m.

Red and white seats, for a start. would it have killed them to have "Cork" or "Rebels", etc on the seats also? It would have looked class, and surely it wouldnt have cost that much more than the existing seats?

aside from this, the stadium looks well in fairness. If they can get it open by 02 July that will be a major achievement, especially in comparison to the fiasco unfolding down on South Main St.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DMGACC

Meursault wrote: »
    DMGACC wrote: »

I personally think they made quite a decent job of it. Don't know what people expect for 70-80m.

Red and white seats, for a start. would it have killed them to have "Cork" or "Rebels", etc on the seats also? It would have looked class, and surely it wouldnt have cost that much more than the existing seats?

aside from this, the stadium looks well in fairness. If they can get it open by 02 July that will be a major achievement, especially in comparison to the fiasco unfolding down on South Main St.

Ya I suppose. The seats don't really bother me. I quite like the grey but I take your point. Don't think it will make much difference to match day experience though

If they fill the stadium, it won't matter about the seats ! If they don't, red seats will stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

I'd imagine if they had a sponsor the name would have been incorporated into the seats like the aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

For some reason, i had it in my head that the whole stadium was seated.

Not from the same location but gives you an idea...

T4i73ck.jpg

Top image from the Pairc ui Chaoimh wiki

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Based on this article here, the IRFU will send Munster to the Aviva rather than to Pairc Ui Chaoimh

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/munster-keen-to-stage-european-game-at-pairc-ui-chaoimh-791380.html

Advertisement