Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Based on this article here, the IRFU will send Munster to the Aviva rather than to Pairc Ui Chaoimh

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/munster-keen-to-stage-european-game-at-pairc-ui-chaoimh-791380.html

What it actually says is
    While there are clearly many hurdles to clear for Munster's men in red to take to the Páirc Uí Chaoimh field, not least a willingness by the IRFU to turn its back on its own Aviva Stadium and hand coffers over to the GAA, it is not beyond the bounds of possibility and CEO Fitzgerald said: “If you're asking if the opportunity arose in the future for us to do that, we'd love to do it.

Aside from anything else, it doesn't say the IRFU would refuse. If that was the case, Munster would have played their QF in the Aviva, but they didn't. I'm very confident that it will happen in the reasonably near future, especially if Ireland get RWC 2023, and we'll know that in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

I wouldn't rule it out either. Thomond is run independently to Munster so if there is extra revenue for a pool game in the pairc then it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

There is an IRFU debt hanging over Thomond Park. Unlikely that the IRFU would allow say 500,000 to be handed over to Cork GAA for stadium hire

The 45,000 that would fill Cork would go to the Aviva anyway as proven today
    Mumha wrote: »
    What it actually says is

Aside from anything else, it doesn't say the IRFU would refuse. If that was the case, Munster would have played their QF in the Aviva, but they didn't. I'm very confident that it will happen in the reasonably near future, especially if Ireland get RWC 2023, and we'll know that in November.

There is an IRFU debt hanging over Thomond Park. Unlikely that the IRFU would allow say 500,000 to be handed over to Cork GAA for stadium hire

The 45,000 that would fill Cork would go to the Aviva anyway as proven today

For a final, yes, absolutely. However, there'd be blue murder if they forced anything else to the Aviva, if there was a viable option within the province of Munster. You only have to remember the consternation caused when the 2006 Perpignan QF was forced to Lansdowne.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

For a final, yes, absolutely. However, there'd be blue murder if they forced anything else to the Aviva, if there was a viable option within the province of Munster. You only have to remember the consternation caused when the 2006 Perpignan QF was forced to Lansdowne.

I might be wrong but I can't see showpiece events like the Pro 12 final or ERC semis being played in anything other than all seater stadiums or ones with little terracing. Majority of the capacity in PUC is terraced standing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Is there a plan for an open day when the public can have a look at the new stadium?

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I might be wrong but I can't see showpiece events like the Pro 12 final or ERC semis being played in anything other than all seater stadiums or ones with little terracing. Majority of the capacity in PUC is terraced standing.

Is there something specifically against it ? I would have thought (as most things) it would come down to money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

AFAIK the venues for the big ERC and PRO 12 rugby games are decided by the organisers of those competitions, not Munster management or IRFU.

As has been mentioned, Munster owe IRFU a few bob for Thomond Park and neither can i see them handing very necessary funds over to GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Is there something specifically against it ? I would have thought (as most things) it would come down to money.

It comes down to the organisers of such competitions picking a nice stadium which they will feel they can easily sell tickets to.

Having 15,000 tickets for a standing area might not be of huge interest to organisers trying to offload tickets.

There's no two ways about it, this is a stadium that does not fit in with modern international sporting events.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

kub wrote: »
    AFAIK the venues for the big ERC and PRO 12 rugby games are decided by the organisers of those competitions, not Munster management or IRFU.

As has been mentioned, Munster owe IRFU a few bob for Thomond Park and neither can i see them handing very necessary funds over to GAA.

ERC decide which stadiums host the semi finals and afaik they keep all money made from ticket sales so will choose the Aviva all day everyday because a) it's bigger so can sell more tickets and b) it's an all seater stadium so it's easier to sell tickets.

Pro 12 semi finals are played in your home ground so if Munster wanted to move to PUC they could but why would they. The semi final just gone didn't sell out so can't see why they would move to a larger stadium when Thomond Park didn't sell it. The Pro 12 could possibly hold the final in PUC if they wanted to but why would they for the same reasons ERC will choose Aviva because it's an all seater stadium. Just over 45,500 people showed up to the Aviva Saturday night which would be similar attendance to a sold out PUC once it's finished but could you imagine how many fans wouldn't have showed up with Saturdays weather knowing half the stadium is not covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

One other (slightly superstitious) reason to prefer PUC is that Munster have only won 1 match in the Aviva since it opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Don't think Munster will be many European semi finals for a while tbh

PTH2009 wrote:

Based on what? Them actually making the semis this year..

PTH2009 wrote:

PTH2009 wrote:

case885 wrote: »

The disaster yesterday which showed our lack of squad depth but that discussion doesn't belong here

Id expect a few concerts next summer in the stadium though

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The disaster yesterday which showed our lack of squad depth but that discussion doesn't belong here

Id expect a few concerts next summer in the stadium though

They will definitely play there in the next few years, and a lot sooner if we get the RWC 2023. Plus, what's the nearest Rugby club to PUC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

They will definitely play there in the next few years, and a lot sooner if we get the RWC 2023. Plus, what's the nearest Rugby club to PUC ?
    Cork Con

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I would be shocked if Munster/IRFU played a game in a stadium they don't own, it will lose them revenue. They have 2 stadiums of their own in the province and a 3rd available to them in Dublin. Any game big enough to need a bigger stadium than Thomond would be moved to the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

salmocab wrote: »
    I would be shocked if Munster/IRFU played a game in a stadium they don't own, it will lose them revenue. They have 2 stadiums of their own in the province and a 3rd available to them in Dublin. Any game big enough to need a bigger stadium than Thomond would be moved to the Aviva.

Only way it would be played is if the GAA more or less let them use the stadium for nothing.

• Advertisement

Cork Con

Exactly. Aside from what I've heard from an excellent source, this is why I'm very confident it will happen.

Only way it would be played is if the GAA more or less let them use the stadium for nothing.

There's plenty for both to make money, especially for an ongoing relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Whats with the fascination of Munster using the new stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

GavRedKing wrote: »

To show it isn't a completely unnecessary white elephant vanity project presumably.

will we get an opening quite as exciting as this lol

The first events due to take place is the Munster minor and senior football finals on the 2nd July and i think the Hurling finals the week after will be there too. Id give ye a very chance that Cork will be in the hurling decider on the 9th July but ye need a massive improvement to be in the football final on the 2nd.

Will all the league games in 2018 be held here ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

There's only one poster pushing that agenda here to be fair and it's getting quite tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

salmocab wrote: »

An agreement with the GAA already exists.. and was used as part of the bid..to use some of the provincial stadiums.I think that there is an intention to spread pool games throughout the island and would expect that Parc Ui Chaoimh to be used.By the way congrats to the GAA in Cork...took a walk down the marina recently and it looks brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Exactly!

The missed opportunity here is not about not having a rugby team from Limerick play a couple of games in the Pairc.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

As far as we know, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

will we get an opening quite as exciting as this lol

The first events due to take place is the Munster minor and senior football finals on the 2nd July and i think the Hurling finals the week after will be there too. Id give ye a very chance that Cork will be in the hurling decider on the 9th July but ye need a massive improvement to be in the football final on the 2nd.

If Cork lose to Tipp in the football then the Munster final will be in Thurles as they have a home and away agreement with Kerry.

Advertisement