Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Cape Clear wrote: »
    There's only one poster pushing that agenda here to be fair and it's getting quite tiresome.

Hey Conspiracy Theorist ! Cop on with the agenda rubbish, they're either going to play there or not. I'm pretty confident, based on what I've been told, that they will play there, and if they do, that's good for the Cork GAA and the City of Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

namloc1980 wrote: »
    If Cork lose to Tipp in the football then the Munster final will be in Thurles as they have a home and away agreement with Kerry.
    Pretty sure the football final is already confirmed for PUC regardless of who makes the final. Last I heard anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Mumha wrote: »
    Hey Conspiracy Theorist ! Cop on with the agenda rubbish, they're either going to play there or not. I'm pretty confident, based on what I've been told, that they will play there, and if they do, that's good for the Cork GAA and the City of Cork.

A game a year at best and still subject to Congress approving it anyway. Not sure why the obsession about them playing in PUC.

Pretty sure the football final is already confirmed for PUC regardless of who makes the final. Last I heard anyway.

I'd be surprised to see Tipp give up home advantage but maybe it's been agreed. Haven't seen anything concrete about that though. Munster GAA site has no venue confirmed.

Imagine how embarrassing for Cork county board it could be. Kerry winning the Munster football championship in the debut game in the new Pairc and not against Cork. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

So you keep telling us. Not sure all in Cork GAA would see it as a good thing. Personally I think it's unlikely to happen but I wouldn't be against it myself. Any stadium developed with the help of significant state aid should have a degree of shared use in my view.

Plenty to suggest the old thinking still prevails in the Cork County Board.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/bitter-aftertaste-takes-from-corks-historic-schools-finals-31454301.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/nemo-to-learn-fate-after-irish-rugby-controversy-118963.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭lukin

Two weeks to completion but will they have the floodlights in place before then?I went down for a look yesterday evening and there was no sign of them anywhere.

lukin wrote: »
    Two weeks to completion but will they have the floodlights in place before then?I went down for a look yesterday evening and there was no sign of them anywhere.

Frank is hoping to pick up a set nice and cheap. Maybe he could get the old ones from Dalymount Park when the place get's knocked.

So you keep telling us. Not sure all in Cork GAA would see it as a good thing. Personally I think it's unlikely to happen but I wouldn't be against it myself. Any stadium developed with the help of significant state aid should have a degree of shared use in my view.

Plenty to suggest the old thinking still prevails in the Cork County Board.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/bitter-aftertaste-takes-from-corks-historic-schools-finals-31454301.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/nemo-to-learn-fate-after-irish-rugby-controversy-118963.html

Well I'm always there to help slow learners ;) Not sure all in Cork think Frank is a good thing either, but there we are. I'm happy with the information I've been given, and time will tell if it borne out. Of the two examples, one is six years ago where certain sections were only too happy to have a go at Nemo. The club my own child is involved with, rents their all weather pitch out to the local soccer club, for as long as I can remember, and I know others do too.

Well I'm always there to help slow learners ;) Not sure all in Cork think Frank is a good thing either, but there we are. I'm happy with the information I've been given, and time will tell if it borne out. Of the two examples, one is six years ago where certain sections were only too happy to have a go at Nemo. The club my own child is involved with, rents their all weather pitch out to the local soccer club, for as long as I can remember, and I know others do too.

Broken record at this stage....

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Frank is hoping to pick up a set nice and cheap. Maybe he could get the old ones from Dalymount Park when the place get's knocked.

Seemingly the floodlights are led based and are all ready built into the roof of either stand ..so no gantry's from what I have heard

• Advertisement

Broken record at this stage....

Just as well you're tone deaf then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Statement from Cork County Board G.A.A.

Issued 12/06/17

The new Pairc Ui Chaoimh stadium will not host either of the Munster Finals scheduled for July, as originally planned.

Cork County Board was informed this morning that the scheduled handover date of June 18th would not now be met. There are still some commissioning works to be completed and these will be finished by July 7th. The first game in the new stadium will take place in mid July.

Cork County chairman, Ger Lane said: “Clearly we are disappointed but we want everything to be pristine before the stadium hosts its first major games. We want to be certain that all the expectations for this tremendous new facility will be fully met and we are satisfied that this will be the case by mid July.”
    Big pity

Its what everyone including myself predicted I suppose. Its a real pity yes and the blame lies entirely on the heads of SISK.
    I can't name names but some of the sub-contractors have been saying for months that they are behind schedule and that SISK just weren't listening to them.

Hopefully we will see an All-Ireland quarter-final or semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Its what everyone including myself predicted I suppose. Its a real pity yes and the blame lies entirely on the heads of SISK.
    I can't name names but some of the sub-contractors have been saying for months that they are behind schedule and that SISK just weren't listening to them.

Hopefully we will see an All-Ireland quarter-final or semi final.

they might use 2017 for Cork club games and munster club games and start the intercounty activities with the leagues in 2018

Would this constitute breach of contract for the 10 year tickets?

Why would anyone care? Do ya think someone who bought a 10 year ticket last month will want a refund now because it'll be a few months late?

Doubtful. I'd imagine various eventualities (like the place not opening on time) are covered in the terms & conditions. Anyway the Munster finals are never guaranteed to be played in a particular stadium. Munster Council decides that. 10 year ticket holders will still get their 10 year ticket.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Why would anyone care? Do ya think someone who bought a 10 year ticket last month will want a refund now because it'll be a few months late?

Opening June 2017 was expressly stated on all promotional material and 25 events/games per year was also mentioned. It will be a full 12 months before any games of note take place in the venue. Hardly a few months late my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Opening June 2017 was expressly stated on all promotional material and 25 events/games per year was also mentioned. It will be a full 12 months before any games of note take place in the venue. Hardly a few months late my friend.

Still at a loss to know what these 25 events are that would justify a 10 year ticket?

Even if it opened on time no championship games were guaranteed to be played there. If Tipp had beaten Cork then they would have requested a home game. There​ have been years where Pairc Ui Chaoimh got no championship games. Anyone buying a 10 year ticket expecting to see guaranteed big games was fooling themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Cococop

With the new hurling championship format from next year.Cork be guaranteed 2 home games in Munster championship and depending on results Munster final too. Footballers will have 1 or 2 games in Munster in any year there also if they get to super 8 that's a another home game.could also get hurling quarters finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

vkid wrote: »
    Still at a loss to know what these 25 events are that would justify a 10 year ticket?

l'm only guessing and in fairness they're all over the gaff but l think they might be including the fact that they extended the 10 Year tickets to include all club senior championship games, even if they are not in the Pairc. As l say l'm only guessing.

Either that or they are going to have the marquee down there next Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

An all round shocker of a project, late delivery is just the icing on the cake. No imagination, no ambition, no joined up thinking. It's not even finished yet and it already looks 20 years out of date, go to the wikipedia page for stadiums under construction, PUC is embarrassing next to every other stadium on the list.

snotboogie wrote: »
    An all round shocker of a project, late delivery is just the icing on the cake. No imagination, no ambition, no joined up thinking. It's not even finished yet and it already looks 20 years out of date, go to the wikipedia page for stadiums under construction, PUC is embarrassing next to every other stadium on the list.

I still don't get what people expect you'll get for c.€70m.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

Totally disagree with this, was down at the stadium a few times, think it looks great. I've been to many stadiums around the world and PUC looks fresh and modern. The stadiums your referring to are costing around $300 million upward.

It's really quite an achievement to get that much done for 70-80 million tbh, if you look at similar sized stadiums in the wikipedia page cheapest was $200 million and it had no stands. Looks far more modern than a lot of premiership stadiums imo.

And this late delivery rant, get a grip its one month late.

Totally agree, hate all the modern template stadiums, glad PUC has retained it's iconic shape (at least iconic to a lad who grew up in it's shadow in Cork).

For 70m it's an absolute steal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Look, I'm totally anti-GAA and think the stadium is an unnecessary white elephant. However, having looked through that list on wikipedia I am actually impressed at PUC for 70/80 million. I am more convinced now that it is more suitable for purpose and better than spending 300 mill on a "modern looking" all seater stadium.

I still don't see the need for so many large capacity stadiums purely for the GAA which will only reach capacity a maximum or once or twice a year (if that even). One stadium that size per province would suffice. But I am marginally happier about it so thanks for suggesting that list,

Someone mentioned on another forum that the 22,000 seating capacity is more than enough for 80% of the games that will be played there. I can see the terraces only used for senior championship games. The rest of the time there's enough seats for everyone.

I've been behind the scenes at PUC and the Aviva recently and can say with confidence that the south stand in PUC is on par if not better than the Dublin stadium. Obviously I didn't see it finished but it will have every player/fan/media facility you could think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Ludo wrote: »

Look, I'm totally anti-GAA and think the stadium is an unnecessary white elephant. However, having looked through that list on wikipedia I am actually impressed at PUC for 70/80 million. I am more convinced now that it is more suitable for purpose and better than spending 300 mill on a "modern looking" all seater stadium.

I still don't see the need for so many large capacity stadiums purely for the GAA which will only reach capacity a maximum or once or twice a year (if that even). One stadium that size per province would suffice. But I am marginally happier about it so thanks for suggesting that list,
    Well a lot of that list are stadiums built in areas where money is no object, mostly for the Russian World Cup bid. In my opinion Cork needed a Municipal stadium of about 25,000 to 30,000, with Cork GAA as the main clients and Munster (should have been brought on board when they were redeveloping Musgrave Park and offered a Cork Municipal stadium as an alternative) and Cork City (you would be looking at a max of two games a year but if you look at the FAI Cup final attendance getting 15k+ in for a big event twice a year isn't unrealistic, especially for the first few years of the new stadium novelty) as secondary clients, used for the RWC and maybe even a decade or so down the line the FAI and IRFU could have got on board for a few games a year. Not to mention it would be a lot more compact and suitably sized for the largest music acts who would come to Cork. Now we have a white elephant that is too big for anything other than the handful of GAA championship games every year and is too big for 99% of concerts that will come to Cork.

For instance the Stade Océane in Le Harve, which was built in the last 5 years cost 100 million and looks in a completely different league to PUC. Same for the MMArena in Le Mans, cost 100 million and is in a different world to PUCStade du Hainaut only cost 75 million. These examples of far more impressive stadiums, built for a similar cost, with 10k-20k less attendance, (which is suitable for Cork) are found all over Europe; Ghelamco Arena in Gent built in 2013 cost 50 million and holds 20k, Allianz Stadion in Wein, built in 2016 holds 30k cost 53 million, Cardiff City Stadium built in 2009, cost £48 million and holds 35k.  Brighton AMEX Stadium built 2011, holds 30k cost £100 million. The list goes on and on and on...

• Advertisement

For instance the Stade Océane in Le Harve, which was built in the last 5 years cost 100 million and looks in a completely different league to PUC. Same for the MMArena in Le Mans, cost 100 million and is in a different world to PUCStade du Hainaut only cost 75 million. These examples of far more impressive stadiums, built for a similar cost, with 10k-20k less attendance, (which is suitable for Cork) are found all over Europe; 
    Those all look the exact same - soulless copy and paste stadiums. Give me the PUC design any day.

Advertisement