Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

snotboogie wrote: »
    As the attendances show, 30k would have been enough for Cork Championship games, maybe once or twice a year there would be a greater demand but that is the case in every practically built stadium in the world, sometimes demand outstrips supply, you don't build for the absolute maximum demand. Munster probably wouldn't sell out 5 games a year in Cork at 30k capacity, of course there would have been ways around it like moving some home derby games there but at the end of the day it doesn't matter. Munster would be secondary clients using PUC as their secondary stadium. PUC should be a stadium for the people of Cork, the more it is used, the better, keeping it as a private GAA playground is criminal when public money is being used to build it. Who knows what happens in the future with the FAI and IRFU if you open it up, this should have been built to last for 30-50 years, 10 year tickets last for 10 years....
    You've just answer you're own question as to why Munster wouldn't play there.
    And again, 10 year ticket deal, all inter-pros are to be played in Thomond. Also until last season numbers for munster games were falling year on year so the thought of playing somewhere like PUC even if it was 30k, for any match was inconceivable.

We can make out a huge list of all the pros and cons for days.
    You've got some valid points for the con section and I'm just trying to defend the project for the people that are happy with it.
    I'll leave it here as this discussion could just go on and on.
    You are taking my lead in and ignoring the main point. 15k Munster fans in PUC in December is better than the stadium lying empty. That's presuming they can't or won't play a derby game or two there, despite the 10 year tickets stating Munster home games in Thomond Park or Irish Independant Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭blue note

fonzy951 wrote:
    It seems fairly obvious at this stage a lot of the negativity about PUC from a very few vocal posters is just an anti GAA, County Board mentality imo. probably can't bare the fact that Frank & CB did a great job on this with fairly limited resources, sad if that's the case.

I play for and manage a hurling team - I'm certainly not anti gaa. And I'm from the only neutral county that will have a fixture become more accessible as a result of it.

But, I can't think about it and not get annoyed at the waste of gaa and taxpayer money. Imagine if they'd renovated pairc ui rinn for a fraction of the cost. You'd have had a top class ground with a great atmosphere for league and club games. Then you'd have had millions left to invest into a proper centre of excellence or into coaches or into the clubs.

Now that it's practically completed we might as well use it. But let's not congratulate anyone for wasting €80m on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

blue note wrote: »
    I play for and manage a hurling team - I'm certainly not anti gaa. And I'm from the only neutral county that will have a fixture become more accessible as a result of it.

But, I can't think about it and not get annoyed at the waste of gaa and taxpayer money. Imagine if they'd renovated pairc ui rinn for a fraction of the cost. You'd have had a top class ground with a great atmosphere for league and club games. Then you'd have had millions left to invest into a proper centre of excellence or into coaches or into the clubs.

Now that it's practically completed we might as well use it. But let's not congratulate anyone for wasting €80m on it.

So we should have left PUC the way it was... a crumbling mess and renovated pairc ui rinn... wow that's the way to go alright and end up with 2 crap stadium's

fonzy951 wrote:
    So we should have left PUC the way it was... a crumbling mess and renovated pairc ui rinn... wow that's the way to go alright and end up with 2 crap stadium's

Pairc ui caoimh was no longer for for purpose, so I'd have torn it down and not rebuilt it. The pros from rebuilding it were outweighed by the cons from rebuilding it. I've seen no argument that's been even close to reasonable to justify why cork needs a stadium of that size. Or why the gaa needs another of that size in that location.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Pairc ui caoimh was no longer for for purpose, so I'd have torn it down and not rebuilt it. The pros from rebuilding it were outweighed by the cons from rebuilding it. I've seen no argument that's been even close to reasonable to justify why cork needs a stadium of that size. Or why the gaa needs another of that size in that location.

So you want Cork fans to travel to Kerry, Limerick and Thurles for every single game. Yeah that's really convenient and not at all a complete farce.

• Advertisement

Cork is by far the second biggest city in this Republic with a metro population of 350K, it needs a decent stadium...

namloc1980 wrote: »
    So you want Cork fans to travel to Kerry, Limerick and Thurles for every single game. Yeah that's really convenient and not at all a complete farce.

It would just be Limerick and Thurles really. You'd play Kerry in Limerick - the handiest neutral venue. There aren't enough GAA games to justify every county having a large stadium like this, so it makes sense to have a few conveniently located to host them. Limerick and Thurles already had large stadia so there was no need for this one. You already need to travel for any games against Waterford or Clare and you seem to get on just fine with that. And the majority of counties travel for their championship games.

What has happened is 80m has been spent on a stadium that's going to hold an average of 1-2 games that will require anything like it's capacity. If the stadium lasts for 40 years that stadium will have cost 2 or 3 million per game. And if it hadn't been built there would still have been two stadiums capable of hosting those games anyway.

fonzy951 wrote: »
    it needs a decent stadium...

for what games.....

It would just be Limerick and Thurles really. You'd play Kerry in Limerick - the handiest neutral venue. There aren't enough GAA games to justify every county having a large stadium like this, so it makes sense to have a few conveniently located to host them. Limerick and Thurles already had large stadia so there was no need for this one. You already need to travel for any games against Waterford or Clare and you seem to get on just fine with that. And the majority of counties travel for their championship games.

What has happened is 80m has been spent on a stadium that's going to hold an average of 1-2 games that will require anything like it's capacity. If the stadium lasts for 40 years that stadium will have cost 2 or 3 million per game. And if it hadn't been built there would still have been two stadiums capable of hosting those games anyway.

So Thurles and Limerick can have a big stadium but Cork, the second biggest population centre in the country can't. No possible RWC either for Cork and the benefits that would bring. Yup that makes total sense.

for what games.....

the Cork county board are behind the project, so that might give you a hint.....if not come back to me...

• Advertisement

for what games.....

GAA isn't like other sports with a defined number of home games per year. It is what it is. Cork people would get pretty tired of driving up and down the country to see their team play with zero home games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

This thread is a farce.

Stadium is built - move on

Gaelic grounds in Limerick is a kip and complete waste of money, don't see why Cork fans should be forced to travel to Limerick.

namloc1980 wrote:
    GAA isn't like other sports with a defined number of home games per year. It is what it is. Cork people would get pretty tired of driving up and down the country to see their team play with zero home games.

I'd give cork fans a bit more credit than that. And anyway, they're only playing 1 or 2 championship games a year in cork anyway. The other matches would still be fine in pairc ui rinn. It'll be a match or two extra to travel for each year. I've always travelled to play cork and ye looked like ye were getting on just fine (well maybe not after the games:))

It has been a massive failing of the gaa that they haven't had a central strategy for stadium development. And the likes of this is the result of it. You keep saying that this stadium is necessary because cork is the second biggest stadium in the republic (I don't know why you're ignoring the north when discussing gaa), but however many times I ask the question I still don't get an answer to what games this stadium is required for. Stadiums build with the championship in mind, which I assume everyone agrees this is, should consider what's needed for championship games. And I'm sorry, but cork just isn't the nost suitable location. Even if that means you won't get a rugby world cup game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Shedite27 wrote: »
    This thread is a farce.

It's not like a boards.ie discussion is going to drive policy anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

I don't get this notion that a game can't be played somewhere if a couple of thousand people more than capacity might want to go.

Stadiums sell out. Tough luck. Get your ticket early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Shedite27 wrote: »
    This thread is a farce.

Or rather, it was sidetracked by stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

Talking to a fellow today and there are all sorts of problems down there. They'd be as well off just to write this Year off if they're going to address the issues properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

clerk wrote: »
    Talking to a fellow today and there are all sorts of problems down there. They'd be as well off just to write this Year off if they're going to address the issues properly.

What kind of issues?

• Advertisement

I see the GAA are now banking on it being opened for the hurling QF's (would have previously have been in Thurlas)...

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0617/883540-pairc-ui-caoimh/

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What kind of issues?

Drainage is blocked up (in the middle of summer), electric's aren't up to H&S safety standards, water leaking in the elevator shaft. There all sorts of issues down and has been for ages hence the delay so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Anyone have some up to date pics of the place? Been a while since I've been down there.

.E_C_K_S. wrote: »
    Anyone have some up to date pics of the place? Been a while since I've been down there.

There's a few PUC twitter accounts posing pics every few days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Few awful quality pics here, newest I've seen though.

19390788_1711799745788748_1116701882568845895_o.jpg?oh=5f1a7b4241aeb4635e9f7f2dc7c01636&oe=59CDC76F

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

clerk wrote: »
    Drainage is blocked up (in the middle of summer), electric's aren't up to H&S safety standards, water leaking in the elevator shaft. There all sorts of issues down and has been for ages hence the delay so far.

Electrics not up to standard? Does that mean the power still isn't switched to it?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Electrics not up to standard? Does that mean the power still isn't switched to it?

No idea about that, l was only talking to him for a few minutes about it. I'd imagine it needs a H&S sign-off like any new build.

l know they never budgeted for the electronic's in the original budget, which was a factor in the huge budget overrun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Few awful quality pics here, newest I've seen though.
    I still don't get the grey/white finish. It just looks drab/dreary.
    Was it an issue/cost with all red seats? Seems to have missed the opportunity to spell Cork/Corcaigh/sponsor on the seats as well.

The return of big match days will be welcomed by the city itself. Hosting a Munster final (or the potential 1/4 finals) adds people visiting hotels/B&B's/pubs/restaurants/shops/etc........... So while not as regular as the proposed Events Center, the games will still be beneficial to city businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I see perimeter wiring at the bottom of the terrace is this going to be all the way around or just to keep the Kerry animals under control in the City End.

• Advertisement

I still don't get the grey/white finish. It just looks drab/dreary.
    Was it an issue/cost with all red seats? Seems to have missed the opportunity to spell Cork/Corcaigh/sponsor on the seats as well.
    That's an easy fix - I'm sure they'll repaint it at some stage. Presumably the seats come in grey

Advertisement