Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Shedite27 wrote: »
    That's an easy fix - I'm sure they'll repaint it at some stage. Presumably the seats come in grey
    Could be an expensive fix. Seems they came (or were ordered) in grey/white.
    Surely cheaper to have them in red, than require them to all to be taken out and repainted on site or the additional expense of being sent offsite for the work.
    If that's the plan they had, it's poor planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Surely cheaper to have them in red, than require them to all to be taken out and repainted on site or the additional expense of being sent offsite for the work.
    A few volunteers did the 7,000 seats in Turners Cross over a few weekends - the GAA ain't short on volunteers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

This just sounds bonkers. Not sure you can paint these seats without them looking shoddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

You cant be repainting brand new seats.

If Pearse Stadium have Maroon, Limerick Gaelic Grounds has Green, Nowlan Park has Black and Amber, Armagh City Grounds has Orange etc. then surely Cork had to have red and white, or at least All Red with Corcaigh in white seats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

pitch looks excellent in that pic anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Well you have to hand it to the GAA ...the stadium is there and looking good in my opinion, like a shiny new version of the old one. They cetainly are a can do operation ....unlike other ventures ahem (event centre) ahem !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

P.lane78 wrote: »
    Well you have to hand it to the GAA ...the stadium is there and looking good in my opinion, like a shiny new version of the old one. They cetainly are a can do operation ....unlike other ventures ahem (event centre) ahem !!!!

well it aint finished yet so lets keep the champagne on ice shall we? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Bonzzy

Hate saying this but it looks crap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Bonzzy wrote: »
    Hate saying this but it looks crap

Couldn't agree more. No imagination gone into the design. Compare Thomand Park to this and consider thomand redevelopment was 25 million and it looks a lot more of a 21st century stadium than this. Pairc Ui Chaoimh looks like something from the 70's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

The flood lights are hideous

I quite like them

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Bonzzy

Ya back in the 80s and early 90s :)

Maybe Frank got them from their attic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Yes this is awful, I can't believe it cost 80 million. And they didn't budget for electrics? ****ing hell.

I'd say some contractors down south have made an absolute killing at the GAA's expense on this one. While the GAA's amateur ethos is to be lauded in a lot of ways, there really needs to be a professional setup at some level to oversee large scale projects like this one. Croke Park is excellent but there are far too many half arsed, half built stadiums around the country, when half as many fully kitted out stadiums could have been built for less. The money spent on various stadiums in the midlands, Tullamore, Portlaoise etc. could have been combined to build one decent one. The same thing in Munster and also in Ulster when you have half-stadiums like the ones in Newry and Armagh within a few miles of each other. If an overseeing body had been set up for this purpose once Croke Park was finished we wouldn't have ended up with all these concrete disasters, and now I think we have the worst one of the lot in Cork, relative to the outlay.

Honestly, take a step back and look at the state of it. You'd never think it was newly built in 2016/2017. It's a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭fonzy951

Yes this is awful, I can't believe it cost 80 million. And they didn't budget for electrics? ****ing hell.

I'd say some contractors down south have made an absolute killing at the GAA's expense on this one. While the GAA's amateur ethos is to be lauded in a lot of ways, there really needs to be a professional setup at some level to oversee large scale projects like this one. Croke Park is excellent but there are far too many half arsed, half built stadiums around the country, when half as many fully kitted out stadiums could have been built for less. The money spent on various stadiums in the midlands, Tullamore, Portlaoise etc. could have been combined to build one decent one. The same thing in Munster and also in Ulster when you have half-stadiums like the ones in Newry and Armagh within a few miles of each other. If an overseeing body had been set up for this purpose once Croke Park was finished we wouldn't have ended up with all these concrete disasters, and now I think we have the worst one of the lot in Cork, relative to the outlay.

Honestly, take a step back and look at the state of it. You'd never think it was newly built in 2016/2017. It's a kip.

Was down there today, stadium overall looks class, so get over it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

80 million for that? christ!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

It looks like an expensive upgrade more than anything else.
    Ideally they would have developed a more modern looking stadium but that probably wasn't feasible (lack of funds etc..).

It's done now so all people in Cork and Munster can do is support it.

Along with the GAA matches, it's great Cork has a potential venue for stadium gigs during the summers - a big boost for Cork city.

fonzy951 wrote: »
    I see Frank is getting his cohorts to start pushing his agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

It looks far from class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Have a read back through the last 20 pages of the thread, been over this a few times. Basically people are in one of 2 camps.....
    It's a pity it doesn't look like one of those modern template stadiums.
    Thank God it doesn't look like one of those modern template stadiums.

This appeals to some people's taste, not to other. Get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Have a read back through the last 20 pages of the thread, been over this a few times. Basically people are in one of 2 camps.....
    It's a pity it doesn't look like one of those modern template stadiums.
    Thank God it doesn't look like one of those modern template stadiums.

I disagree. I wouldn't expect it to have looked ''like one of those modern template stadiums'' - not for the budget - but I would have preferred it to have looked less, how do you say, underwhelming. It's one nice large stand and three incoherent bits. A real shame.

(what's with the whole 'get over it' attitude anyway? Why should people not offer their opinions on the appearance/design/aesthetics of the new stadium?)

*i like the floodlights, they're quite striking, and serve to distract the eye from the stand below.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I seen the floodlights going in the other week and was genuinely surprised they werent incorporated into the underside of the stand and keep the lines clean and flush, theyre an eye sore, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭blue note

Shedite27 wrote:
    Have a read back through the last 20 pages of the thread, been over this a few times. Basically people are in one of 2 camps..... It's a pity it doesn't look like one of those modern template stadiums. Thank God it doesn't look like one of those modern template stadiums.

Shedite27 wrote:

I'm in neither camp. I'm in the "it's going to look stupid when it's at least half empty for 363/364 days per year." Camp.

A stadium built without the matches to go in it will look stupid regardless of anything else.

mire wrote: »
    (what's with the whole 'get over it' attitude anyway? Why should people not offer their opinions on the appearance/design/aesthetics of the new stadium?)

*i like the floodlights, they're quite striking, and serve to distract the eye from the stand below.
    I think its more that every aspect and detail of the development has already been talked to death in both the pro and con categories if you read back over this thread.
    At this stage no one persons opinion is going to sway anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

blue note wrote: »

A stadium built without the matches to go in it will look stupid regardless of anything else.

Thats the big question. What are they going to fill it with?
    No idea what the 10 year ticket holders are getting for their money.

I see Frank is getting his cohorts to start pushing his agenda.

What an idiotic statement, I have nothing to do with the County Board, just a regular Cork supporter giving an unbiased view...try it some time!

What an idiotic statement, I have nothing to do with the County Board, just a regular Cork supporter giving an unbiased view...try it some time!
    Tell Frank I said hi, and that he's doing a great job.

Joking, as I was above.
    Telling people to get over it, when you don't even have to enter the thread......... idiotic?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

It seems everybody just needs to get over it already

• Advertisement

Tell Frank I said hi, and that he's doing a great job.

Joking, as I was above.
    Telling people to get over it, when you don't even have to enter the thread......... idiotic?

Frank this...Frank that...zzzzz...so boring

Advertisement