Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

To those people complaining about being stuck in traffic... Where did ye park? Tis only a 30 minute walk from town.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Went down at 6 last night , had a good look around , thought it was fantastic , brilliant view of the whole pitch from high up on the upper south stand , great for the city , roll on the weekend , crowds and the national attention on the Pairc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Ludo wrote: »
    To those people complaining about being stuck in traffic... Where did ye park? Tis only a 30 minute walk from town.

The recommendation for the weekend is to park close to the city centre - plenty of car parks around.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

marvin80 wrote: »
    The recommendation for the weekend is to park close to the city centre - plenty of car parks around.

There must be a large number of parking spaces for all the businesses in Mahon park that is not in use at weekends , probably only a mile along the walkway to PUC , and reasonable access out onto link afterwards . Obviously the parking is probably privately owned but there is a good opportunity there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭DylanGLC

The Park and Ride is also an option. It isn't a far walk from where the bus stops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Was down at the park last night. Was impressed with the stadium. Didn't mind the design with both terraces having no roof. Croke park does look daft with hill 16 not having a roof. PUC design has a certain balance to it. Traffic is gonna be a disaster around the area with 40k supporters. Didn't get in to the game until half time due to the traffic . Left with 10 mins to go to avoid the traffic. Hopefully they utilise the park n ride services in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

People insist on parking as close as they can to the stadium. If they could they'd park at the back of the stand. They'll then be the same people moaning about traffic getting out of the place. Park in town or even Douglas and walk. No issues then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I really don't think any plans have been put in place for residents. I know they're blocking off the major estates, which is helpful, but even still. Several neighbors in my area couldn't even park near their homes yesterday, one had to park over a 20 minute walk from their home!
    No busses were able to pass through the village either because the guards were blocking traffic. I doubt the 202 will be running on Saturday if last night is anything to go by.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I really don't think any plans have been put in place for residents. I know they're blocking off the major estates, which is helpful, but even still. Several neighbors in my area couldn't even park near their homes yesterday, one had to park over a 20 minute walk from their home!
    No busses were able to pass through the village either because the guards were blocking traffic. I doubt the 202 will be running on Saturday if last night is anything to go by.

If residents park on the street then not sure what can be done. It's a public highway and Joe Bloggs from Wexford coming to the match has as much right to park there as a resident as unpalatable as that may be to the resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

I was very impressed with the stadium last night.
    Will be great to see what it's like at the weekend with a full house.
    Parking not an issue for me as I live nearby.

The traffic around Mahon is going to be very bad with Waterford and Wexford playing at the weekend.
    The sooner they build a bridge across the Lee the better I think.
    A park and ride at Tivoli would be great then.

My only complaint about the stadium is that the 3rd tier of the South Stand is so open to the elements. It was freezing up there last night with a westerly wind, I can imagine what it would be like up there for a league game in December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

who_me wrote: »
    In the current orientation - it probably wasn't possible. But it's odd they didn't rotate the pitch 90 degrees: the length of the pitch is approximately North-West to South-East, but the site is much wider South-West to North East.

It would have meant getting rid of the training pitch to the East of the stadium, but surely that would have been worth it?

100% that's what should have been done. As it is, €400m on a stadium where the first 20 rows of the East Stand have crap sightlines, and the upper tiers are partially sighted with the overhanging roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

cork_south wrote: »
    I was very impressed with the stadium last night.
    Will be great to see what it's like at the weekend with a full house.
    Parking not an issue for me as I live nearby.

The traffic around Mahon is going to be very bad with Waterford and Wexford playing at the weekend.
    The sooner they build a bridge across the Lee the better I think.
    A park and ride at Tivoli would be great then.

My only complaint about the stadium is that the 3rd tier of the South Stand is so open to the elements. It was freezing up there last night with a westerly wind, I can imagine what it would be like up there for a league game in December.

It needs much more than a bridge across the Lee. The roads on the other side of the river would also need to be upgraded.

There won't be many games played there in December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

marvin80 wrote: »

I don't think there are that many car parks in the city tbh, especially on a Saturday afternoon, you'd struggle to get a space ordinarily, let alone on a match day with the Lee swim on.

Maybe the business carparks up my mahon?

I'm interested to see how this goes. Bus Eireann and the council said they have "a plan" on the radio, but god forbid they'd tell us what it is?

I got in touch with Irish Rail to see if they would be running extra trains from/to Midleton on Sunday so that people coming from Wexford and Waterford would have the option of doing park and ride on the train. After the game there's a train to Midleton at 18.15 but the next one after that isn't until 20.15. You'd struggle to make it back for the 18.15 from PuC but IR said they have no plans for extra trains. Clueless stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Best bet would be park and ride to town and walk down or if they communicated and organised it better, get the Park and Ride to stop at the top of centre park road, that way it could go back out the link to the Park and Ride car park then and save people a bit of a walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

pwurple wrote: »
    I don't think there are that many car parks in the city tbh, especially on a Saturday afternoon, you'd struggle to get a space ordinarily, let alone on a match day with the Lee swim on.

Maybe the business carparks up my mahon?

I'm interested to see how this goes. Bus Eireann and the council said they have "a plan" on the radio, but god forbid they'd tell us what it is?

Surprised the guards etc. didn't insist on an evening throw in. Cork played Kerry at P ui C in a football replay circa 2008 on a Saturday with a 5 o clock throw in to avoid these kind of problems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

salmocab wrote: »
    If they turned the Aviva 90 degree then in all likelyhood one one of the sides would have to have been single tier as the houses would still be in havelock square and it wouldnt mean that the ground would be far enough away to allow the extra height.
    (I like the low end, think it looks good)

But the pitch (and thus, the stadium) is much longer than wide. By having the length of the stadium across the shorter axis of the site, they've had to compromise a lot at one end.

If the shorter width of the stadium was across the shorter axis of the site, they might have to compromise a bit still, but much less than the current design.

I don't mind the small end as such, it's the lack of symmetry that gets me. Well, that, and the roof trusses intruding on your view if in the top tier.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but if PuC was ever to stage any event that mandated all-seating; could it be converted to an all-seater? Do the 'steps' of the terraces allow for this?

But the pitch (and thus, the stadium) is much longer than wide. By having the length of the stadium across the shorter axis of the site, they've had to compromise a lot at one end.

If the shorter width of the stadium was across the shorter axis of the site, they might have to compromise a bit still, but much less than the current design.

I don't mind the small end as such, it's the lack of symmetry that gets me. Well, that, and the roof trusses intruding on your view if in the top tier.

If you look at the stadium from above on Google maps it is a square shape c.200m X 200m.
    I don't know if this has been mentioned, but if PuC was ever to stage any event that mandated all-seating; could it be converted to an all-seater? Do the 'steps' of the terraces allow for this?

I remember seeing something that the spacing of the steps will allow for conversion to seating in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Would like to see those involved in PUC try to promote the park & ride or provide information on good parking locations for those travelling to the match. Even if it was only an article in the 42.ie & joe.ie - would make a nice change to see some information on those sites instead of some bollíx about some Kildare lads champo haircut or 'hilarious whatsapp into GAA team group' style stuff they've been churning out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Took about 50 minutes to get to town ludo from glanmire

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

D'Agger wrote: »
    Would like to see those involved in PUC try to promote the park & ride or provide information on good parking locations for those travelling to the match. Even if it was only an article in the 42.ie & joe.ie - would make a nice change to see some information on those sites instead of some bollíx about some Kildare lads champo haircut or 'hilarious whatsapp into GAA team group' style stuff they've been churning out.

https://www.joe.ie/sport/travel-advice-pairc-ui-chaoimh-595751

Advising to use park and ride and walk to the stadium.

https://www.joe.ie/sport/travel-advice-pairc-ui-chaoimh-595751

Advising to use park and ride and walk to the stadium.

I just think it's mad that with crowds coming from the east that Irish Rail aren't putting on extra trains to facilitate park and ride from Midleton, Carrigtwohill, Glounthaune and Little Island. Just makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

But whats the idea of the stadium having no roof over the terraces, whats the logic?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

zeebre12 wrote: »
    But whats the idea of the stadium having no roof over the terraces, whats the logic?

Maybe not logical but its down to the €€€€€€€€€ issue.

2 more roofed terraces would have added a fair chunk onto the build cost it would also have meant 2 stands with roofs considerably smaller than the main stand.

Th eonly other example I can think of that you could imagine it to be similar too would be Newcastles St.James park, which has 2 giant stands and 2 much csmaller stands and it looks awful, IMO.

I've said it before, they went overkill on the main stand in comparisson to the rest of the stadium but moaning about it at this stage is pointless, its done and wont be re-done any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I just think it's mad that with crowds coming from the east that Irish Rail aren't putting on extra trains to facilitate park and ride from Midleton, Carrigtwohill, Glounthaune and Little Island. Just makes no sense.

Car parking is very limited in the train stations in the towns mentioned. Also not much public parking in these towns as well. I would guess local clubs around the stadium such Cork Con, Blackrock Hurling club, St. Micheals etc., will probably make their pitches (secondary ones anyway) available for parking and make a few € of it as well.

P.lane78 wrote: »
    Took about 50 minutes to get to town ludo from glanmire

If any of the proposed bridges are built over that side of the city, it'd cut a lot of time off. There's loads of space currently in the train station grounds, you could then park there and walk across.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

P.lane78 wrote: »
    It's a lot of stadium for 80 ish million ...a good bit of business imo....

Apparently it cost a bit more than 80 million . Feel sorry for the clubs in Cork that will suffer

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    Apparently it cost a bit more than 80 million . Feel sorry for the clubs in Cork that will suffer

After seeing it last night 80 million would be a miracle , if I heard 100 million I wouldn't be surprised

• Advertisement

Car parking is very limited in the train stations in the towns mentioned. Also not much public parking in these towns as well. I would guess local clubs around the stadium such Cork Con, Blackrock Hurling club, St. Micheals etc., will probably make their pitches (secondary ones anyway) available for parking and make a few € of it as well.

C.600 spaces in those station car parks alone. Plus Midleton has a good bit of parking around the town itself. Better than having another 600+ cars clogging up the roads in the city.

Advertisement