Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

With the train in Little Island and amount of companies down there with car park spaces not being used as its a a weekend, surely one of the best solutions would be have cars to park there and people get train in. Nightmare to get out of Little Island still but would rather that than getting in and out of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

titan18 wrote: »
    With the train in Little Island and amount of companies down there with car park spaces not being used as its a a weekend, surely one of the best solutions would be have cars to park there and people get train in. Nightmare to get out of Little Island still but would rather that than getting in and out of the city.

Irish Rail aren't running any extra trains so it's a bit of a non runner. Especially after the match the are no trains scheduled for nearly 2 hours from 18.15 to 20.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Stadium looks well, it has room to move about inside and will have good views of the pitch from everywhere. Nothing negative on it, wouldnt be raving about it as a new stadium it should be that way. Good to have it open, was a good buzz about the place so it'll definitely impact on the city positively.

If irish rail sort out trains for commuting it'd be great, especially for a game like today's one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Irish Rail aren't running any extra trains so it's a bit of a non runner. Especially after the match the are no trains scheduled for nearly 2 hours from 18.15 to 20.00.

Not only that Irish Rail should have put on a special train servicing templemore, thurles and limerick junction. After all we are meant to be promoting public transport in this country. Maybe the U2 concert had the special trsin allocatment for the day taken up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Stadium is impressive, views a bit restricted in the upper South, I had to stand up to see the play down at the Blackrock end corner.
    Murphy's on draught was quite good.
    Queues for the toilets were epic at ht and ft.
    Otherwise no complaints, enjoy your new home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I am a bit confused by this post i get this train regularily and the timetable is the same Mon - Sat.

If you are at the little island or Glounthane stops you are served by both the cobh and midelton trains, which depart kent at 18:00 , 18.15 , 18.30, 19:00, 19:15, 20:00, 20:15.

If you are at the sunday matches you have 18:00 , 18.15, 19.40, 20.15.

yes there is an 1hr 25mins on a sunday without a train, but once you are aware of it in advance i dont see it posing too much of a problem, you would spend that time bumper to bumper in a car anyway, and you have no traffic on the train you would be at glounthane exactly 10mins after leaving.

It will be interesting to see if Irish Rail can do some work to accommodate events and matches on these lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Stadium is impressive, views a bit restricted in the upper South, I had to stand up to see the play down at the Blackrock end corner.
    Murphy's on draught was quite good.
    Queues for the toilets were epic at ht and ft.
    Otherwise no complaints, enjoy your new home.

How far up the Upper South were you, and how close to the city end ?

Not only that Irish Rail should have put on a special train servicing templemore, thurles and limerick junction. After all we are meant to be promoting public transport in this country. Maybe the U2 concert had the special trsin allocatment for the day taken up

You being a Simpson, I was half expecting you to extoll the virtues of Monorail ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Mumha wrote: »
    How far up the Upper South were you, and how close to the city end ?

Row Section 303, 3 blocks from the City End.

Row Section 303, 3 blocks from the City End.

Good to know, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Serious slipping on the pitch again today as there was yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Rodin wrote: »
    Serious slipping on the pitch again today as there was yesterday

It was the studs the players are wearing according to the groundsman. They were advised to wear a certain one.

I am a bit confused by this post i get this train regularily and the timetable is the same Mon - Sat.

If you are at the little island or Glounthane stops you are served by both the cobh and midelton trains, which depart kent at 18:00 , 18.15 , 18.30, 19:00, 19:15, 20:00, 20:15.

If you are at the sunday matches you have 18:00 , 18.15, 19.40, 20.15.

yes there is an 1hr 25mins on a sunday without a train, but once you are aware of it in advance i dont see it posing too much of a problem, you would spend that time bumper to bumper in a car anyway, and you have no traffic on the train you would be at glounthane exactly 10mins after leaving.

It will be interesting to see if Irish Rail can do some work to accommodate events and matches on these lines.

Today is Sunday not Mon-Sat. Train at 18.15 means you need to leave match before the end or else run. Irish Rail could've easily run a few more trains between 18.15 and 19.40 but for reasons unknown choose not to.

Also the two biggest stations with car parks at Midleton and Carrigtwohill are not served from 18.15 to 20.15. ludicrous stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

views a bit restricted in the upper South, I had to stand up to see the play down at the Blackrock end corner.

Same on the lower stand. The seats are kind of low or something.

Today is Sunday not Mon-Sat. Train at 18.15 means you need to leave match before the end or else run. Irish Rail could've easily run a few more trains between 18.15 and 19.40 but for reasons unknown choose not to.

Also the two biggest stations with car parks at Midleton and Carrigtwohill are not served from 18.15 to 20.15. ludicrous stuff.

Its only two hours, you could stroll into town and have a bit of grub and a pint or two and then get the train. Hardly the end of the world. Especially as I'd be surprised if there was much demand anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

A there would be demand all the same. You would be surprised with the amount of people from the counties involved who now live along that line. Plus with parking near the grounds its a good alternative. Since there was a shuttle bus from kent station the could have utilised the train better.
    If you go near the likes of maynooth or salins train stations for matches in croke park a lot of people drive up so far and use the train from these stations to head into dublin

Its only two hours, you could stroll into town and have a bit of grub and a pint or two and then get the train. Hardly the end of the world. Especially as I'd be surprised if there was much demand anyway.

In fairness if you're facing a drive back to Wexford the last thing you want on a Sunday night is hanging around waiting for a train. No trains on a suburban line for 2 hours after a match would be pretty much unheard in most cities. I managed to make the 6.15 just about and I left 7 or 8 minutes early and the train had a decent crowd. Few people were annoyed that they had to leave the end of the game to make the train, as they weren't exactly excited at the prospect of hanging around for an extra 2 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Is there any plan to sell the naming rights of Pairc Ui Chaoimh. Surely an expensive project like that should have way of paying for itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Is there any plan to sell the naming rights of Pairc Ui Chaoimh. Surely an expensive project like that should have way of paying for itself.

Don't think the GAA need the money and I've never heard of any other GAA stadium selling its naming rights it's not something the GAA do.

Don't think the GAA need the money and I've never heard of any other GAA stadium selling its naming rights it's not something the GAA do.

Elverys Mac Hale Park

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Elverys Mac Hale Park

I stand corrected. They needed the money to pay for the refurbishment of the stadium.

The board have struggled to meet repayments on the debt-ridden McHale Park. Work on the recently redeveloped 38,000 all-seater stadium cost over €16m.

“Money has to be raised to repay our loans,” said Seán Feeney. “We got a fair bit of advice from Dermot Power (GAA Commercial Manager) and Peter McKenna (Croke Park Stadium Manager). Clubs are always the first port of call when fundraising but there’s a limit on what you can ask them because they all have their own debts.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/elverys-in-five-year-mchale-park-deal-172541.html

It was only a 5 year deal I wonder would it be the same if it was to happen in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

There are several grounds that sold the naming rights.Cavan,Offaly and Carlow are 3 that spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

It's been mentioned alright, Vodafone being one of the names hinted at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Netwatch Cullen Park Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Cape Clear wrote: »

Kingspan breffini park

Doh ! :D

Yes I believe they plan to do so, and why not, if it's good money and reduces the debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Kingspan breffini park

Bord na Mona O'Connor Park in Tullamore.

Innovate Wexford Park.

Elverys MacHale Park in Castlebar.

Edited to answer my own question.:

640px-MacHale_Park%2C_Castlebar%2C_Ireland%2C_November_2016.jpg

Glennon Brothers Pearse Park aswell in Longford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Glennon Brothers Pearse Park aswell in Longford

Forgot that one, also TEG Cusack Park in Mullingar.

Advertisement