Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

who_me wrote: »
    It's been mentioned alright, Vodafone being one of the names hinted at.

I think that's only part of it: "Pairc Ui Chaoimh, powered by Vodafone", there a second piece to the naming rights apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Has the pairc closed down again? Given the lack of talk about it on here of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Has the pairc closed down again? Given the lack of talk about it on here of late.

Yeah loftus moving in with the demolition gear soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

Lack of games in PUC fairly evident now , nearly 4 weeks since the hurling quarter finals , next/final games of year might be the county finals.
    Compare that to Croke park where they is a game every week , have ladies double header Sat and football semi sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Rooy wrote: »
    Lack of games in PUC fairly evident now , nearly 4 weeks since the hurling quarter finals , next/final games of year might be the county finals.
    Compare that to Croke park where they is a game every week , have ladies double header Sat and football semi sunday.
    What in the name of god are ya comparing it to Croke Park for? They've complelty different purposes.

Loads of county games between now and the finals, plenty will be held in PUC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

ya to finish off the rest of it they are missing a few roofs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Rooy wrote: »

Stupid comparison. Casement park, Gaelic grounds, McHale park, Fitzgerald stadium etc, are the stadiums you need to be comparing the Páirc with. I know which one I would prefer to have in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Stupid comparison. Casement park, Gaelic grounds, McHale park, Fitzgerald stadium etc, are the stadiums you need to be comparing the Pc with. I know which one I would prefer to have in Cork.[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna guess it's the one that cost multiples of the other grounds mentioned ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

yabadabado wrote: »
    I'm gonna guess it's the one that cost multiples of the other grounds mentioned ?

Absolutely, not rocket science really;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

You used to be able to park up at the Pairc to walk along the Atlantic pond and the old railway track. Does anyone know if that parking has been restored or if the greedy gits have fenced it off for paid parking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

You used to be able to park up at the Pairc to walk along the Atlantic pond and the old railway track. Does anyone know if that parking has been restored or if the greedy gits have fenced it off for paid parking?

You can still park there for free.

clerk wrote: »
    You can still park there for free.

Frankeen will even give you a free car wash voucher if his white elephant happens to defecate on your automobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Invariably Thurles will always get a lot more games than Pairc Ui Chaoimh due to its geographical neutrality. Thurles hosts a number of club games also.

Pairc Ui Chaoimh may not host the same number of club games due to Pairc Ui Rinn which is a nice compact ground that has never got the credit it deserves

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Invariably Thurles will always get a lot more games than Pairc Ui Chaoimh due to its geographical neutrality. Thurles hosts a number of club games also.

Pairc Ui Chaoimh may not host the same number of club games due to Pairc Ui Rinn which is a nice compact ground that has never got the credit it deserves
    By who? Everyone loves Pairc Ui Rinn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

The parking area near CAB is actually enlarged and surfaced. However, access was blocked by bollards yesterday when I visited - some bollards are removeable and secured with padlocks. ( I wonder who has the keys.)
    I don't know if the riverside parking area next to turnstiles is still open to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

documentary on TG4 tonight @9.30 (Sep 27) "An Pháirc" about redevelopment of Pairc Ui Chaoimh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

...Yes...

Shedite27 wrote: »
    What in the name of god are ya comparing it to Croke Park for? They've complelty different purposes.

Loads of county games between now and the finals, plenty will be held in PUC

Have any county championship games been scheduled for the place yet?

Have any county championship games been scheduled for the place yet?

Apparently so.

Light at end of tunnel as Páirc sorts snags to host club finals

Wednesday, September 27, 2017By Michael Moynihan
    Páirc Uí Chaoimh stadium manager Bob Ryan says the venue is dealing with the “snags to be expected on a project of this size” but says the stadium will be open for the business end of the local club championships.

“The plan is for the semi-finals of the senior hurling championship to be played here on October 8,” Ryan said yesterday. “The senior football county final will be played the following Sunday, October 15, and the senior hurling final the Sunday after that, October 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭blue note

ShamoBuc wrote:
    “The plan is for the semi-finals of the senior hurling championship to be played here on October 8,†Ryan said yesterday. “The senior football county final will be played the following Sunday, October 15, and the senior hurling final the Sunday after that, October 22.

What sort of crowds would these usually get?

• Advertisement

For the finals depends on who is playing and the weather really. Between 10 and 15 k but there is a novelty factor this year.

For the finals depends on who is playing and the weather really. Between 10 and 15 k but there is a novelty factor this year.

That will look tiny in that stadium. You'll really lose out on atmosphere from not having an appropriately sized place for the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

blue note wrote: »
    That will look tiny in that stadium. You'll really lose out on atmosphere from not having an appropriately sized place for the game.
    Probably the case for most county finals I'd imagine. Not a lot they can do about it. 15k for a final ain't bad at all.
    The goal will be to get as many Inter county games there as well as a few concerts.

Probably the case for most county finals I'd imagine. Not a lot they can do about it. 15k for a final ain't bad at all. The goal will be to get as many Inter county games there as well as a few concerts.

Nothing they can do now. But croke park really needs to take responsibility for provincial grounds. Having as many as we do, and where we have them is embarrassing. And instead of having a ground suitable for club games now, you have a ground that will be 30% full for the county final. That will be repeated all over the country.

But county finals have always been played there, it's not a new problem!

The same can be said for most other counties in fact.

Nothing they can do now. But croke park really needs to take responsibility for provincial grounds. Having as many as we do, and where we have them is embarrassing. And instead of having a ground suitable for club games now, you have a ground that will be 30% full for the county final. That will be repeated all over the country.

Nothing embarrassing about it really. No stadium is used 12 months of the year for matches. Some finals could be played in pairc ui rinn but they shouldn't, the páirc will do fine. There are Munster club games but I doubt the páirc will see any this year.

We needed a modern 40 to 45 k stadium, we now have a very good modern one. Should it be used more, yes. Will it be..... yes.....but not necessarily with 35k in attendance. We now have conference facilities that will be used throughout the week and weekends 12 months of the year. This will see the stadium in use. The majority of other stadiums don't have what we have but in time I'm sure it will be standard.

But county finals have always been played there, it's not a new problem!

The same can be said for most other counties in fact.

I in fact said that it's a problem in a heap of counties around the country! And the annoying thing here was that there was an opportunity to correct this. They could have built a more compact stadium with a smaller capacity and it would have been great for club games and league games and they could have done it at less expense to the GAA, the government and the clubs of Cork.

Unfortunately for Cork, it's just not suitably located for neutral games. So hopefully they won't make teams travel there because it's built (but I fear the worst). I hear it's a lovely stadium by the way. But I didn't get down there this year. I thought about going with the girlfriend for the quarter final, but we were just too concerned about traffic, parking and annoyed at the fact that we'd be driving past Croke Park and Thurles to get there, both more suitable options for a Waterford vs Wexford game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I in fact said that it's a problem in a heap of counties around the country! And the annoying thing here was that there was an opportunity to correct this. They could have built a more compact stadium with a smaller capacity and it would have been great for club games and league games and they could have done it at less expense to the GAA, the government and the clubs of Cork.

Unfortunately for Cork, it's just not suitably located for neutral games. So hopefully they won't make teams travel there because it's built (but I fear the worst). I hear it's a lovely stadium by the way. But I didn't get down there this year. I thought about going with the girlfriend for the quarter final, but we were just too concerned about traffic, parking and annoyed at the fact that we'd be driving past Croke Park and Thurles to get there, both more suitable options for a Waterford vs Wexford game.

Traffic and parking turned out to be a non issue in the end. Taking a Waterford and Wexford quarter final to Dublin would be beyond ridiculous.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Traffic and parking turned out to be a non issue in the end. Taking a Waterford and Wexford quarter final to Dublin would be beyond ridiculous.

Not a non-issue, but less of an issue than expected. My friend was down very early and still drove around for 40 minutes trying to get a parking space. he probably was too optimistic and tried to get too good a spot, but that's still 40 minutes of wasted time really.

And Croke Park is handier for Wexford and about as handy for most of the population of Waterford. The motorway makes Dublin very accessible and parking for Croke Park is a hell of a lot easier than Pairc Ui Caoimh unless they did some work to ease it when building the new stadium? My memory of it was it was a nightmare to park down there.

• Advertisement

But I don't think it was an opportunity missed at all. Having a compact stadium of 25k for example would simply mean that there could Never be a Munster final ever again in Cork. That is simply not an option and rightly so.
    Plenty of league games in páirc in rinn for a better atmosphere if needed.

Waterford v tip, limerick or clare is certainly suitable as a neutral venue.

I don't really understand people going on about issues with traffic and parking. These issues were there for the last number of years, they were never going to be addressed or changed unless the páirc was built somewhere different. As mentioned before in this thread, go to any stadium for an attendance of 45k and you have issues, plain and simple. Thurles is a bottleneck with traffic jams for hours after any game. I got a bus from Anfield to the city centre after a match, 45 mins it Took, you can walk it in about 30-35 mins.

Advertisement