Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Someone made the point to me recently that the South Stand is blocking off the sunlight, and that it should have been at the river side, with the lower stand at the Blackrock side as the sun shines down the hill from the south

Perhaps someone could verify

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Someone made the point to me recently that the South Stand is blocking off the sunlight, and that it should have been at the river side, with the lower stand at the Blackrock side as the sun shines down the hill from the south

Perhaps someone could verify

The South stand is high but we still have the winter sun. The sumner sun will be higher and stretch over more of the pitch. In front of the South stand was Always boggy as it never got the sun, yet that part of the pitch was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Are they not using heat lamps?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

yabadabado wrote: »
    Are they not using heat lamps?

That is the long term plan, but I guess cost is an issue for now?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,482 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is there any parking for Ed gigs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is there any parking for Ed gigs?

Transport and Parking info

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

namloc1980 wrote: »

See Cork Con are advertising at €10 for concert parking ,nice and close to venue , they are advertising 800 spaces which is obviously on their pitches , if there is a lot of rain next week that could serious damage to pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

See county council doing a bit of work down there currently , finally some repairs to footpaths damaged/closed since storm Ophelia ,and some temporary lights being added

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Rooy wrote: »
    See Cork Con are advertising at €10 for concert parking ,nice and close to venue , they are advertising 800 spaces which is obviously on their pitches , if there is a lot of rain next week that could serious damage to pitch

Blackrock Hurling Club are offering parking on their pitches as well (not sure of costs), but if the weather doesn't improve I can see both Con and Blackrock cancelling the use of their pitches for parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Blackrock Hurling Club are offering parking on their pitches as well (not sure of costs), but if the weather doesn't improve I can see both Con and Blackrock cancelling the use of their pitches for parking.

Doubt it cash is king for clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Can they not open up the Marque as parking for events like this? Isn't it just a huge empty slap of concrete when there's nothing going on in there?

Or is the reason for not using it to do with not wanting traffic in the area at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Can they not open up the Marque as parking for events like this? Isn't it just a huge empty slap of concrete when there's nothing going on in there?

Or is the reason for not using it to do with not wanting traffic in the area at all?

I'd say the residents wouldnt want thousands of cars down there and then having to implement extra traffic management down there with cars and people all approaching from the centre park road.

Given that traffic down in the area after Marquee events can be back logged for 30mins or more, you'd be mad to park dwon there, even if they opened it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I live in the area and its going to be a nightmare. I have no faith that this will be adequately planned for, if the previous big matches have been anything to go by.
    And I have no doubt that this is going to be a massive inconvenience, between the crowds, littering and lack of accessibility and parking near our own home, I'm not looking forward to this at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Apparently, all went well with the first concert. Looked very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Very impressive operation I though. Good transport links, no queuing of any significance, drinks easily got and didn't see even a hint of any trouble. Great venue. Looked fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Very impressive operation I though. Good transport links, no queuing of any significance, drinks easily got and didn't see even a hint of any trouble. Great venue. Looked fantastic.

This is great news.
    Peter Aiken has always liked Cork because Live at the Marquee has been such a success. 12 years old this year I think.
    With a successful Ed Sheeran weekend, there's no reason why he won't bring more stadium acts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

It was very good, but l was in the standing section and there were savage cues for the drinks in the standing area. l didn't even bother trying to cue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

clerk wrote: »
    It was very good, but l was in the standing section and there were savage cues for the drinks in the standing area. l didn't even bother trying to cue.

Standing section at the snooker?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

clerk wrote: »

They had people going around with bottles too. Got mine from them until the queue settled.

I seen a few underage drunk and getting sick plus despite many toilets a few males felt it was appropriate to pee anywhere even in view of young kids

Ed was good and the stadium looked good but I think it and the roads out needed more lights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    despite many toilets a few males felt it was appropriate to pee anywhere even in view of young kids
    s

I often see young kids peeing out in the open, on the side of motorways and such.
    Disgraceful behaviour in view of adults!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Very impressed I must say. Was talking to one of the security guys and a guard who both said so far it was smooth enough sailing - Looks like the long walk down to the stadium from Sextant onwards gives a natural people corridor, especially with no cars. Plenty of room and no pushing or squashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Outstanding start to gigs in PUC - could have been more lighting going from the North Entrance back to Blackrock at one or two points but the lighting they put along the Marina walk was acutally quite nice. Few kids being kids and Adults pissing where they really shouldn't - some fella on the closed gates of somebodys house for instance but that was the only 'bad' instance I saw.

Great buzz around the place, going by the Venue & Longboats there was a nice amount of people in the sun drinking in plastic cups, very little littering, loads of bins & skips around.

Lots of people helping and directing. Looking forward to going to more gigs in PUC and excited to see who they'll aim to get going forward. Could be some great weekends ahead for Cork. I went on Friday and was really nice to drive towards Tivoli and look across at the Stadium with a great buzz around it. Town was hopping too for the few hours I was there Saturday afternoon so was great to see Cork being as busy as say, Jazz. It should be like this for more weekends in the year and hopefully that'll come to pass.

Was any of the shuttle buses running back to Lapp's Quay?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Very well organised and went off without a hitch, I know there was probably fellas acting the maggot pissing infront of kids and all that, but you'll get that at any concert. Fair play to them, hopefully more of the same to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Was down for the sunday night gig. A great atmosphere around the city. The walk out was grand no doubt the weather made it all the better. The security and screening was fine when we got there not delayed at all. We were in for about 7.00pm. The access to drinks was very well done I thought. They had people up both side of the pitch selling beer so didnt need to queue at the Blackrock end for drinks. I spoke to 1 of the girls serving drink and asked why they needed to open the cans and she said they could be used as missiles!!! She said saturday night was very rough in place on the pitch. On sunday we saw no hassle what so ever just the young being young and the old trying be young again!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,537 ✭✭✭✭siblers

https://www.herald.ie/news/teenager-breaks-her-neck-in-fall-on-way-to-sellout-sheeran-gig-36883416.html

Pretty horrific for both girls, especially for the girl who broke her neck. Where is the quarry located?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

siblers wrote: »
    https://www.herald.ie/news/teenager-breaks-her-neck-in-fall-on-way-to-sellout-sheeran-gig-36883416.html

Pretty horrific for both girls, especially for the girl who broke her neck. Where is the quarry located?

The quarry as I know it from underage drinking is here, opposite Cork Con rugby pitch and adjacent to the pitch and putt club.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cork+Constitution+FC/@51.8896902,-8.4350081,583m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x48449ab357ac9f89:0x299f56ec2bb2f316!8m2!3d51.8895857!4d-8.4334103

At its highest point by the pitch and putt club, it can be pretty steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

siblers wrote: »

I was walking into town past the quarry at 10 to 9, was wondering why there was a fire engine and ambulance there. Hope they make a full recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Lagertha

Hi all, I don't know if this has been asked/answered before but I've tried searching to no avail... does anyone know how many rows are in the upper tier and if it starts at row A or if it continues row numbers from the lower tier? Thanks :)

Advertisement