Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Liam Miller tribute match tickets will go on sale next Monday at 10am

Ticket prices:

Terrace – Concession* €10

Terrace - €20

North Stand – Concession* €25

South and North Stand - €40 to €50

Premium Level - €90

*Concession tickets are for U-18’s and OAP’s.

People who already purchased tickets for Turners Cross will be allocated in the South Stand

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

The green seats on the open side of the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick have faded badly. The seats in Croke Park have also faded badly and some of them have been replaced.

Cork went with grey/black as the fading effect of that colour from the sun wouldnt be as pronounced over time
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    Think it was covered before but someone speculated that they wouldn't fade as badly as red seats.

That or they got a deal on black seats. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Liam Miller tribute match tickets will go on sale next Monday at 10am

I'm off work that day anyway so I'll be going with a few mates.

Just on the Liam Miller match.

If anyone is thinking of driving down, we just got this from work, we're located close to the stadium.
    From 11am onwards a one way system will be operational so exiting on to the Monaghan Road will be a left turn only.

Coming from the city you will be directed down Centre park Road, Link Road and out Monaghan’s Road

The match finishes at 4.45pm and there will be a hold of all traffic to allow pedestrians priority after the match - the roads won’t open again until 5.45pm which will mean considerable vehicular congestion after that point when cars can move again.

There will be a few extra spaces available behind the lodge on the Blackrock Road from lunch time onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Just on the Liam Miller match.

If anyone is thinking of driving down, we just got this from work, we're located close to the stadium.
    Thanks for that, didn't realise it was on so early, looks like I'm walking to work Tuesday. I live on Skehard Road and last big match it took an hour to get back from Douglas.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Thanks for that, didn't realise it was on so early, looks like I'm walking to work Tuesday. I live on Skehard Road and last big match it took an hour to get back from Douglas.

Ya, the one way system was enforced from I think 9am for the Ed Sheeran gigs even though people were told not to que up before it.

I reckon anyone trying to leave the area after 5.30/45 will be in for a nightmare of a time considering the traffic congestion that usually occurs towards the Elysian to go through town or onto the South Link.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Keep ye're knickers on folks, but Rod Stewart has just been announced for next May

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/music-news/rod-stewart-announces-pirc-u-chaoimh-date-37340136.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

MrDerp wrote: »
    Keep ye're knickers on folks, but Rod Stewart has just been announced for next May

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/music-news/rod-stewart-announces-pirc-u-chaoimh-date-37340136.html
    More like adult nappies

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Definitely going to Rod, he will rock the Páirc !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

MrDerp wrote: »

Will there be an exhibition GAA match held before the first encore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,482 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Well over 42,000 for Liam Miller tribute match today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭kooga

I was on the blackrock terrace near the south stand - throughout the game I couldn't make out one word from the PA - totally muffled

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

kooga wrote: »
    I was on the blackrock terrace near the south stand - throughout the game I couldn't make out one word from the PA - totally muffled

They bought the system from Irish Rail who had retired it when they upgraded the rolling stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

The big screen should be a permanent feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

CHealy wrote: »
    The big screen should be a permanent feature.

Not so much a jumbotron, more a cocktail-tron.

One thing that annoyed me were the few old fellas with no obvious PUC identification, wandering around selling tubs of ice cream. Are they selling on behalf of the stadium or are they in there making a few quid for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,482 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

kooga wrote: »

The city terrace end was way overcrowded

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Cape Clear wrote:
    In the news again.

So this is what it finally took for Frank to scurry into the hole he belongs.
    Some legacy he has left behind!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

theres more details in a further Examiner article:
    - increasing the Corkness - "we need to lift the branding. We have to make it feel red on every staircase, every corridor, every meeting-room. Team photographs, team colours. You have to know you’re in the heart of Cork GAA when you’re there"
    - Concerts/ Conferences - will be leveraging contacts and suppliers to cut costs and attract business even sharing deals with Croker.
    - Naming rights - "we’re involved in that process now" says Mr McKenna
    - Separation from County Board - "Looking at the stadium as a separate unit, which is now solvent, with the executive well represented on the board, is by far the best way to do it. “
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/peter-mckenna-on-five-big-issues-facing-pairc-ui-chaoimh-892028.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Such a joke, a white elephant of seismic proportions. We are well over a year since opening and it still hasn't sold out for a GAA game.... How many times has it gotten over 30k even?

This siloed stadium for every sport approach has left Cork with insurmountable debts for the GAA, the complete hijacking of Munster Rugby by Limerick to the point that there are now only 4 competitive games here per year (a second string Edinburgh being the highlight this year) and Cork City with an inadequate stadium which they can't sell out due to exit and security concerns.

For a modern stadium of 40k+ to work it would have needed to be municipal with buy in from Munster, the GAA and the FAI. The dinosaurs in Cork sports administration just cannot accept this and look where we are.

• Advertisement

Lets be honest, who didnt see this clusterf**k coming?

The man on the moon could have called it given the ineptness of those involved in planning and designing it.

For the money throw at it, given the final cost is now estimated to be circa 25m over what was ear marked, its a bit s**t.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

RTE Report:
    "It became clear in the middle of the year that the amount spent on the stadium way exceeded what people thought," Croke Park stadium director Peter Mr McKenna told the Irish Examiner. "We’re probably close to €110 million as a final cost, and what was the ability to pay that?

Frank Murphy announcing retirement in July (mid-year). Coincidence? I think not.

Also, why wasn't this published at the time in July or August, instead they decide to wait till now, the week before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

snotboogie wrote: »
    Such a joke, a white elephant of seismic proportions. We are well over a year since opening and it still hasn't sold out for a GAA game.... How many times has it gotten over 30k even?

This siloed stadium for every sport approach has left Cork with insurmountable debts for the GAA, the complete hijacking of Munster Rugby by Limerick to the point that there are now only 4 competitive games here per year (a second string Edinburgh being the highlight this year) and Cork City with an inadequate stadium which they can't sell out due to exit and security concerns.

For a modern stadium of 40k+ to work it would have needed to be municipal with buy in from Munster, the GAA and the FAI. The dinosaurs in Cork sports administration just cannot accept this and look where we are.
    I'm really not sure what your point is there? Are ya saying there'd have been less debt if Cork City and Munster were forced to play there? Neither team needs a big stadium in Cork, this was a GAA initiative, and had to stand on its own two feet

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I'm really not sure what your point is there? Are ya saying there'd have been less debt if Cork City and Munster were forced to play there? Neither team needs a big stadium in Cork, this was a GAA initiative, and had to stand on its own two feet

Considering the tax-payer subvention for the project, and now this news that its grossly over-budget, you could argue they should make it available for non-GAA sporting events, atleast until such time as it breaks even.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Shedite27 wrote: »

My point is that it shouldn’t have been built without Munster Rugby buy in at a minimum. Cork GAA does not get enough games to justify a 45k capacity multi million euro stadium. Sporting organizations outside of Dublin need to work together to justify these sort of projects because without the international games and marquee finals they don’t have the volume of games to justify the spend or capacity. 100 million plus and it hasn’t sold out a GAA game in its first 18 months, I mean let that sink in ffs.... when will people wake up to this? On top of that World Rugby deemed it unfit in its current state for hosting RWC group games. After spending 100 million.

As I have said over and over in this thread, Munster Rugby and Cork GAA should have worked together to redevelop PUC and there should have been a far more modest (about 12k) redevelopment of Thomond. Munster could have used PUC for European games and derbies while using Thomond for your regular Pro rugby games. Instead both organizations are saddled with stadium debt and half full capacities. Once Thomond was redeveloped there was no need for a project of this scale. It should not have been built, anybody could see that this was set for failure.

snotboogie wrote: »
    My point is that it shouldn’t have been built without Munster Rugby buy in at a minimum. Cork GAA does not get enough games to justify a 45k capacity multi million euro stadium. Sporting organizations outside of Dublin need to work together to justify these sort of projects because without the international games and marquee finals they don’t have the volume of games to justify the spend or capacity. 100 million plus and it hasn’t sold out a GAA game in its first 18 months, I mean let that sink in ffs.... when will people wake up to this? On top of that World Rugby deemed it unfit in its current state for hosting RWC group games. After spending 100 million.

As I have said over and over in this thread, Munster Rugby and Cork GAA should have worked together to redevelop PUC and there should have been a far more modest (about 12k) redevelopment of Thomond. Munster could have used PUC for European games and derbies while using Thomond for your regular Pro rugby games. Instead both organizations are saddled with stadium debt and half full capacities. Once Thomond was redeveloped there was no need for a project of this scale. It should not have been built, anybody could see that this was set for failure.

Your point is 100% valid and makes sense, especially since Rugby and Soccer (in Ireland) are played mostly in Winter when the GAA is off, thus maximising the use of the facility.

That joint-up thinking would most likely have needed political intervention since the GAA full owns the site, and that never happened.

On top of that, part of the project should have included another crossing of the Lee near the stadium, allowing East and North bound fans more access without going through the city

The biggest problem is that the stadium built is about 40 years out of date before it was ever even finished.

These days you need all seats with cover over all and facilities all around the stadium.

About 30,000 seats would have been more than enough for a Cork GAA, Munster and Cork City stadium.

With that type of stadium they could have feasibly got FAI games, the odd UEFA game maybe, but more importantly would have made the venue more attractive to the casual punter to wander along to a game.

You saw with the Liam Miller game, the two terraces are simply unsuitable for big crowds in modern times. People don't accept a lack of safety. And if they feel a lack of safety they won't return.

Major fail GAA and Cork council.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Gunner3629 wrote: »
    Considering the tax-payer subvention for the project, and now this news that its grossly over-budget, you could argue they should make it available for non-GAA sporting events, atleast until such time as it breaks even.

The taxpayer is paying my neighbor €188 a week. Does that mean that I can go in and eat his cornflakes?

The taxpayer is paying my neighbor €188 a week. Does that mean that I can go in and eat his cornflakes?

It was one of the main arguments people put up when Liam Miller testimonial was hot.

Anyway, your neighbour doesn't eat breakfast because he doesn't need to get up in the morning.

• Advertisement

Absolutely. That's explained to each recipient in the dole office.

Advertisement