Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairc Ui Chaoimh re-development

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Yes, and it still hasn’t. Maybe get your own head out of the sand.
    The horrible “Corkonian” affliction strikes some really bad.

Would you still be confident to say that Munster will never play in the Pairc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

touts wrote: »
    Playing Munster games in PUC makes particular sense if the Munster Branch the get to sell Musgrave park. It's recently been redeveloped but it's still only a distant second to Thomond Park. The money from that sale would go a long way to paying off the debt on Thomond Park and if they held two big games in PUC a year (say Leinster and one of the European games) along with the regular 4 or 5 Pro14 games the extra income would go a long way to helping the GAA pay off the debt on PUC. And we haven't even mentioned the possibility of Corn City playing there.

But Ireland being Ireland and the concept of sports working together in a common facility being as big a sin as you can commit it'll never happen.

If Musgrave Park was to be sold it would have been done a long time ago. The fact they're planning on further upgrades to include a indoor training pitch and gym, along with local teams that use the facilities show they've no intentions of selling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

snotboogie wrote: »
    Would you still be confident to say that Munster will never play in the Pairc?
    I would seriously doubt that I said Munster would “never” play there. My comments referred to Munster playing in some type of multipurpose stadium or moving away from Thomand. Could Munster play a game there? Yes. I just see it as highly unlikely for now, given that the first step is totally out of their hands (before economics are even discussed).
    I did say
    Me too, it’d be great to have a game in Cork.
    As for someone outside of Cork caring that there isn’t a full time team in Cork, yeah never. Utterly ridiculous to suggest it plays on their minds.

kooga wrote: »
    Given the group Munster have in the h cup this year - we will be waiting for a home semi final
    And with the facilities in the Avivia, that’d still be a more likely destination. Not ideal for the fans unfortunately.
    But they’ve some job to just get the 1/4s before worrying about that!!

I would seriously doubt that I said Munster would “never” play there. My comments referred to Munster playing in some type of multipurpose stadium or moving away from Thomand. Could Munster play a game there? Yes. I just see it as highly unlikely for now, given that the first step is totally out of their hands (before economics are even discussed).
    I did say
    As for someone outside of Cork caring that there isn’t a full time team in Cork, yeah never. Utterly ridiculous to suggest it plays on their minds.

You did, I linked the post above. You actually said a multipurpose stadium could have been built but that boat had sailed and with Thomond in place Munster will never play in PUC.

I have no idea what you are getting at in your last point. Obviously the fan discontent would come from inside Cork.

• Advertisement

You did, I linked the post above. You actually said a multipurpose stadium could have been built but that boat had sailed and with Thomond in place Munster will never play in PUC.
    ..... on a permanent basis after the redevelopment of Thomand, Munster wouldn’t be playing their games in PUC. A one off game is not what was discussed. So, no, I didn’t. This shouldn’t be needed to be explained.
    I have no idea what you are getting at in your last point. Obviously the fan discontent would come from inside Cork.
    How long until somebody with juice, be it the Pro 14, IRFU or somewhere out of left field like the premiership start asking why there isn't a full time team in Cork?
    Forgetting your own words? You suggested people outside of Cork would have the discontent. Ridiculous.

..... on a permanent basis after the redevelopment of Thomand, Munster wouldn’t be playing their games in PUC. A one off game is not what was discussed. So, no, I didn’t. This shouldn’t be needed to be explained.

Forgetting your own words? You suggested people outside of Cork would have the discontent. Ridiculous.

There has been zero suggestion of the current discussions being for a one off game.

No I didn't. A professional organization obviously wouldn't set up a team in Cork because they are discontented! What in the name of God are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I don't think the game will happen in Cork this year either, hopefully next year.

Your second point is bizarre. You are not countering anything being said as to why Cork is losing out, you are just dismissing everything

Why is Cork losing out. 8,000 attend league games in Musgrave, slightly less than Thomond.
    8,000 is about the average core support for a Munster non Euro/non Leinster game.

Why is Cork losing out. 8,000 attend league games in Musgrave, slightly less than Thomond.
    8,000 is about the average core support for a Munster non Euro/non Leinster game.

What has been the biggest professional rugby game in Cork in the last decade?

There has been zero suggestion of the current discussions being for a one off game.
    The current discussion in here, and as reported in the articles, has been about Leinster v Munster or maybe a possible quarter/semi final. Wake up.
    No I didn't.
    You did, literally. Ok, you’re either a child, someone who wants to ignore their own words, or just likes being juvenile. Either way, ingnore list time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

What has been the biggest professional rugby game in Cork in the last decade?

It's got plenty of high profile league games but at the end of the day it can't have everything. Tbe attendances would be no bigger in Cork than in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,878 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

And with the facilities in the Avivia, that’d still be a more likely destination. Not ideal for the fans unfortunately.
    But they’ve some job to just get the 1/4s before worrying about that!!

Always laugh at this. You'd swear fans are being asked to travel half ways around the world just to see a game the way some Munster fans go on about semi finals having to be played in Dublin.

Always laugh at this. You'd swear fans are being asked to travel half ways around the world just to see a game the way some Munster fans go on about semi finals having to be played in Dublin.
    I just said “not ideal”. You’re taking it to an extreme I didn’t mention. Relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

I just said “not ideal”. You’re taking it to an extreme I didn’t mention. Relax.

This is a thread about development (building stuff) in Cork City. I'm sure there's a Munster Rugby thread somewhere on this forum so take this there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

...ahem, back-seat modding...ahem!

polaris68 wrote: »
    This is a thread about development (building stuff) in Cork City. I'm sure there's a Munster Rugby thread somewhere on this forum so take this there.
    Actually this is a thread about PUC. One topic being discussed in the thread is the possibility of Munster playing a game there.
    There’s a separate thread about building stuff in Cork, so maybe you should take yourself there?

The current discussion in here, and as reported in the articles, has been about Leinster v Munster or maybe a possible quarter/semi final. Wake up.

You did, literally. Ok, you’re either a child, someone who wants to ignore their own words, or just likes being juvenile. Either way, ingnore list time.

So not a one off game then.

New teams are usually set up by either a combination of the league and the Union or in rare cases one of the two, for example the Sunwolves who were created without the Japanese Union. Obviously if a new team were to be created in Cork the IRFU and/or a major League would need to be on board. The fact that no league bodies are based in Cork is completely irrelevant. Obviously, and I shouldn't have to say this, leagues and unions don't set up teams out of a sense of discontent, they do it to make money and expand their product. The people with the juice to set up a team would do it in Cork because of the market, lack of games currently, the player pool and history of large attendances.

Blocking me is a bit feckin childish, it's a discussion, no need to get so emotional

It's got plenty of high profile league games but at the end of the day it can't have everything. Tbe attendances would be no bigger in Cork than in Limerick.

I don't see how this proves Cork isn't losing out? We have had zero big games in the last decade. Galway, Limerick, Dublin and Belfast are all miles ahead of us with more big derby's and European games then we get total games every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Any talk of any concerts for next year there yet?

Picture This or Garth Brooks still rumoured :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Any talk of any concerts for next year there yet?

Picture This or Garth Brooks still rumoured :p

Something is due to be announced Monday. A friend of mine said he heard Westlife :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »
    Something is due to be announced Monday. A friend of mine said he heard Westlife :rolleyes:

I was hoping HELLA MEGA TOUR (Green Day, Fall Out Boy and Weezer)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

dulpit wrote: »

I'm confident it will be Westlife, around the May bank holiday weekend possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

I'm sure it'll be something awful

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Acosta wrote: »
    I'm sure it'll be something awful

Your the third person to say westlife

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ah jeez, is this the worst kept secret so and it is going to be Westlife? :(:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭rebs23

Depeche Mode supported by
    New Order
    Nine Inch Nails
    and a surprise announcement that it will be The Smiths first gig since they announced they will return......and then I woke up.

salmocab wrote: »
    Your the third person to say westlife

swear it again :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Westlife it is, Friday 28th August. They play Wembley the previous week. Sgem it sells out, I'd be shocked if they don't announce a Saturday gig too.
    Thought it might clash with Electric Picnic, but that's the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I wonder if people have any thoughts on PUC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I wonder if people have any thoughts on PUC?

As a stadium? Or the planner upgrades to facilities around it?

Advertisement