Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eircom 3strike (800 already on first strike)

• 19-06-2010 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Just saw this on torrentfreak http://torrentfreak.com/music-biz-set-to-3-strike-two-thirds-of-irish-broadband-100616

with an interesting statistic at the top that 800 eircom customers already on first strike... scary :(
    Keeping its promise to Ireland’s largest ISP, Eircom, the music industry has targeted the country’s second largest ISP, Vodafone. According to a new report, Vodafone is in talks with the Irish Recorded Music Association about issuing warnings and eventually disconnecting its file-sharing customers. Since its introduction last month, around 800 Eircom customers have already received their first strike.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Was it not meant to be only 50 in the "trial run"?

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

guess the trial is over...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

theres kids downloading music, they do not think of the law ,whether its legal, they assume everything on the internet is free ,and some people leave there wifi open, which can be used by anyone in range .
    ITS like when your young you think i,ll live forever ,you have no interest in life insurance.
    the law is completely abstract ,nothing to do with you.

maybe we,ll end up like the uk where wifi will have to be administered to stop downloading.
    when someone rips a cd ,they dont think ,wait is this legal, am i breaking the copyright act of 2004.
    or maybe they are on ten euros pocket money ie they simply have no money to buy cds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

those IRMA cowboys are chasing UPC, O2 and Vodafone now.

legal proceedings over UPC are set to begin soon if not already.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0618/breaking50.html

probly got nothing to worry about unless ya listen to whatever ****e they copyright ;)

ricman wrote: »
    theres kids downloading music, they do not think of the law ,whether its legal, they assume everything on the internet is free ,and some people leave there wifi open, which can be used by anyone in range .
    ITS like when your young you think i,ll live forever ,you have no interest in life insurance.
    the law is completely abstract ,nothing to do with you.

maybe we,ll end up like the uk where wifi will have to be administered to stop downloading.
    when someone rips a cd ,they dont think ,wait is this legal, am i breaking the copyright act of 2004.
    or maybe they are on ten euros pocket money ie they simply have no money to buy cds.

I think you're a bit confused. This is in no way limited to kids... People of all ages download.

• Advertisement

edit: vodafone jumping on the bandwagon too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

dyer wrote: »
    those IRMA cowboys are chasing UPC, O2 and Vodafone now.

legal proceedings over UPC are set to begin soon if not already.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0618/breaking50.html

probly got nothing to worry about unless ya listen to whatever ****e they copyright ;)

Not so sure. I think this is the case. Its not just Irish acts, its any act represented by these companies (EMI Records (Ireland) Ltd, Sony Music Entertainment Ireland Ltd, Universal Music Ireland Ltd, Warner Music Ireland Ltd and WEA International Incoporated).
    For instance Bruce Springsteen has a deal with Columbia Records who are in turn owned by Sony. It follows IRMA collect royalties on his behalf for Sony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

I know anyone can download music, but teens are alot more tech savvy re, how to download and they may not have much money to buy cds.
    its requires a bit of tech knowledge to download and you need to know which websites to use etc most people i know over 30 can use email, browse the web and thats about the extent of their tech knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Has anyone posted here saying they got a warning, until they do its just hearsay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I believe those on the first strike are DC'd for a week. So we won't hear until Saturday.

• Advertisement

I believe those on the first strike are DC'd for a week. So we won't hear until Saturday.

Dunno, I'm convinced its a big fob off by Eircom, they aren't revealing exactly who was using the ip addresses and I doubt they'll disconnect anyone. The whole deal saves them a fortune in legal fees as the music mafia will just keep throwing cash at their legal teams until they crush You. Eircom hasn't the cash to put up a fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Wrong.

blubloblu wrote: »
    Wrong.

If I am wrong, then care to explain what is right?

They can after 3 strikes break their contract with You and disconnect You, They cannot just penalize You therefore they cannot disconnect You for a week, thats outside the law, just like a video rental shop cannot fine You for a late return, they can only charge You for an extra night or refuse to give You videos again. Only a Judge can penalize You.

If I am wrong, then care to explain what is right?
    The disconnection for a week happens after the third strike, the year-long disconnection happens after a fourth.

The disconnection for a week happens after the third strike, the year-long disconnection happens after a fourth.

Ah, my mistake.

To clarify, is it only music they will catch you for? Or is it illegally downloading anything at all?

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    They can after 3 strikes break their contract with You and disconnect You, They cannot just penalize You therefore they cannot disconnect You for a week, thats outside the law, just like a video rental shop cannot fine You for a late return, they can only charge You for an extra night or refuse to give You videos again. Only a Judge can penalize You.
    That's what EU law would say. Unfortunately, the government and judges here don't care.

If you cant pirate without getting caught then you deserve to be disconnected.

No-one is completely untraceable.

i don't see any logic in that whatsoever. The out of court settlements are proving to make more money than the actual content. If this keeps going, media groups are going to start charging innocent people on the hope that they'll scare them into settling rather than run the risk of getting hit harder in court

• Advertisement

Anyone who doesn't use torrents to dl is un-traceable, its only torrents they're looking at, there are lots of better ways to find and download stuff that don't leave your public ip visible

Anyone who doesn't use torrents to dl is un-traceable, its only torrents they're looking at, there are lots of better ways to find and download stuff that don't leave your public ip visible

Yes, but it is much easier and cheaper to use torrents than say, Usenet.

Ha yeah no.... just look at how easy rapidshare give out offending IPs

wolfric wrote: »
    Ha yeah no.... just look at how easy rapidshare give out offending IPs

I dont use rapidshare :p
    Yes, but it is much easier and cheaper to use torrents than say, Usenet.

Yes, but its worth it for the quality and choice.

All it takes is a lawsuit for those sites to be forced to reveal IPs. Very few things are untraceable when it comes to the Internet.

Of course not but it is beyond easy to escape the methodologies they employ to catch people. Only those lacking the most basic knowledge of the methods used get caught. Sad thing is that is ALOT of people.

still stands to say it's more than just torrents... rapidshare megaupload and usenet are all being hit
    Of course not but it is beyond easy to escape the methodologies they employ to catch people. Only those lacking the most basic knowledge of the methods used get caught. Sad thing is that is ALOT of people.

http://torrentfreak.com/huge-security-flaw-makes-vpns-useless-for-bittorrent-100617/
    so much for that

i don't see any logic in that whatsoever. The out of court settlements are proving to make more money than the actual content. If this keeps going, media groups are going to start charging innocent people on the hope that they'll scare them into settling rather than run the risk of getting hit harder in court

Are you high? The out of court settlements bring in more revenue than legit sales of the product!!! Get a grip! Media groups will never charge innocent people, take off your tin foil hat!

still stands to say it's more than just torrents... rapidshare megaupload and usenet are all being hit

http://torrentfreak.com/huge-security-flaw-makes-vpns-useless-for-bittorrent-100617/
    so much for that

Who said anything about VPN's?!! Obviously you are amongst the many that dont have the knowledge to not get caught. VPN lol

• Advertisement

Who said anything about VPN's?!! Obviously you are amongst the many that dont have the knowledge to not get caught. VPN lol

Please, enlighten us on how you evade getting caught.

Please, enlighten us on how you evade getting caught.

No, figure it out yourself.

Usenet not being hit. OK Newzbin.com was taken down, but Newzbin2 sprung up 2 weeks later. They can only target those who categorise, not the hosts as its not on one single server.

Anyway, I paid $96 for my years Usenet subscription, if the music industry moved with the times and created a subscription service I'd gladly pay €100-150 a year, but they won't do that.

Are you high? The out of court settlements bring in more revenue than legit sales of the product!!! Get a grip! Media groups will never charge innocent people, take off your tin foil hat!
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/06/straightforward-legal-blackmail-a-tale-of-p2p-lawyering.ars

Especially in the US, but also in the UK to some extent, their tactic is to send out settlement letters to people they suspect of file-sharing. Their detection methods tend to make a lot of false positives.
    People who receive these letters asking for ~$1,500 instead of facing the maximum $150,000 in court. The cost of defending one of these is about $10,000. Maybe people, even innocent ones, are intimidated and pay the bill out of fear.

It's a very lucrative business with millions being made.

They're suing people who downloaded The Hurt Locker and they stand to make more money off the lawsuits than they did selling to film!

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/06/straightforward-legal-blackmail-a-tale-of-p2p-lawyering.ars

Especially in the US, but also in the UK to some extent, their tactic is to send out settlement letters to people they suspect of file-sharing. Their detection methods tend to make a lot of false positives.
    People who receive these letters asking for ~$1,500 instead of facing the maximum $150,000 in court. The cost of defending one of these is about $10,000. Maybe people, even innocent ones, are intimidated and pay the bill out of fear.

It's a very lucrative business with millions being made.

They're suing people who downloaded The Hurt Locker and they stand to make more money off the lawsuits than they did selling to film!

Exactly! They suspect them because the persons IP address was pulled from a swarm sharing an illegal copy of a file. The person is not innocent, they WERE caught downloading illegal. The hurt locker is the exception that proves the rule.

Exactly! They suspect them because the persons IP address was pulled from a swarm sharing an illegal copy of a file. The person is not innocent, they WERE caught downloading illegal. The hurt locker is the exception that proves the rule.
    Innocent people are consistently being falsely accused. http://www.which.co.uk/campaigns/file-sharing-fears/file-sharing-are-you-breaking-the-law/file-sharing-accusations/index.jsp

http://dmca.cs.washington.edu/
    Practically any Internet user can be framed for copyright infringement today. Even without being explicitly framed, innocent users may still receive complaints.

• Advertisement

Open wifi, other family members/partners/friends used their connection, and of course maybe a infinitesimal percentage of legit false positives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

i'm wondering is there any sort of appeal system for anyone who wasn't genuinely downloading illegally.
    from the thread in AH, i think it's only p2p that's going to be tracked. rapidshare and others likely won't be affected, but AFAIK it's only music that belongs to the members of IRMA that this will affect.
    so for you downloading TV shows, movies, and games illegally, you can rest easier now :D

whiteman19 wrote: »
    i'm wondering is there any sort of appeal system for anyone who wasn't genuinely downloading illegally.
    from the thread in AH, i think it's only p2p that's going to be tracked. rapidshare and others likely won't be affected, but AFAIK it's only music that belongs to the members of IRMA that this will affect.
    so for you downloading TV shows, movies, and games illegally, you can rest easier now :D

Yes you do nothing and try your luck in court

I swear! I either end up buying those games (if I like) or deleting (if I don't like or won't run properly) the ones I download!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

well, i don't download games cos i'm afraid of the executable having a virus. i mostly play the xbox anyway except for a few classic games on my laptop.

hope to fcuk that UPC and the others stand up to IRMA - they're actually exaggerating over the fact that they're losing profits, last year saw their greatest profits yet!
    someone in AH gave this link and i'd personally go for it. i'd contribute definitely. i've donated to a few sites and software that was free and provided me with a great product (like jDownloader for all my illegal downloading)

it's worth a read but i doubt IRMA would go for it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Look, this is off topic. The deal Eircom have is only related to music, not games, films, software or other downloads, just music

well, i don't download games cos i'm afraid of the executable having a virus. i mostly play the xbox anyway except for a few classic games on my laptop.

hope to fcuk that UPC and the others stand up to IRMA - they're actually exaggerating over the fact that they're losing profits, last year saw their greatest profits yet!
    someone in AH gave this link and i'd personally go for it. i'd contribute definitely. i've donated to a few sites and software that was free and provided me with a great product (like jDownloader for all my illegal downloading)

it's worth a read but i doubt IRMA would go for it :rolleyes:

I'd support that link :)

Look, this is off topic. The deal Eircom have is only related to music, not games, films, software or other downloads, just music

relax dude it's naturally developed past that and as op i don't mind.

Advertisement