Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog grooming courses??

Options
  • 19-06-2010 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me where I could do a dog grooming course in Dublin part time. Pay has been cut in half and need the extra income.
    I work shift work so course would have to be flexible otherwise I could take time off. The only courses i have seen are for 4 to 7 week periods and I can't afford to take that much time off from work.

If anyone has done a course is it worth doing and is there much business in this field at the moment?

If anyone has information and advice, it would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I didn't even know there was such a thing, I can't really see it bringing in that much extra cash tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Can anyone tell me where I could do a dog grooming course in Dublin part time. Pay has been cut in half and need the extra income.
    I work shift work so course would have to be flexible otherwise I could take time off. The only courses i have seen are for 4 to 7 week periods and I can't afford to take that much time off from work.

If anyone has done a course is it worth doing and is there much business in this field at the moment?

If anyone has information and advice, it would be great, thanks.

i wanted to do one of those course too but couldnt find anything in dublin part time also the full time ones are way expensive and could not afford them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭legallyblonde86

I didn't even know there was such a thing, I can't really see it bringing in that much extra cash tbh.

Maybe not but it costs from €50 to get a dog groomed so better than nothin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Lad round the corner from me has the van, the full works.
    Used to be busy all the time.
    These days, the van's parked outside his gaff nearly permanently.
    But I keep seeing stuff in local papers and freesheets about 'franchise opportunities' for Aussie doggie cleaning or some similar grooming chains.
    Seems to me the arse has fallen out of this market, and the only money to be made is in selling franchise opportunities to mugs.
    Seriously, who's going to spend 50 yos on getting someone to wash their dog in a recession, when a bucket, some fairy liquid and a sponge and brush in the backyard does the same job?
    Tread carefully, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 md12

my neighbour is dog grooming and seems to be fairly busy. she has the unit at the back of her house. She seems to have new clients turning up all the time. If you get info on a course let me know where and when cause i might do it meself. How hard can it be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

I'd seriously pause for thought here OP. This is more than likely self employment you're looking at and all the hassles that entails. Unless you turn out to be very good, customers will give you the brush off and you'll spend way too much time sniffing around for new business. I think Cavehill Red is right here. This service is very much a "luxury item" and I think you might just be pissing up the wrong tree. Personally I'd say you'd be barking mad to spend money on a course like this in this economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

DubTony wrote: »
    I'd seriously pause for thought here OP. This is more than likely self employment you're looking at and all the hassles that entails. Unless you turn out to be very good, customers will give you the brush off and you'll spend way too much time sniffing around for new business. I think Cavehill Red is right here. This service is very much a "luxury item" and I think you might just be pissing up the wrong tree. Personally I'd say you'd be barking mad to spend money on a course like this in this economy.
    Punology :D

OP Id agree with this- I know someone who did a course (in Newry I think) but on completion found it quite difficult to attract business in a recession. Id imagine the wealthier areas of Dublin are well covered by groomers at this stage so you've missed that boat too.

Advertisement