Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creamy cooked Kohlrabi

Options
  • 19-06-2010 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

This first recipe is a mild cooked version based on a German recipe - suitable for vegitarians.
    As they say in Germany - Mahlzeit!

<snip>

irish+kohlrabi+dish.jpg

1 c. finely chopped onions
    1 lb. peeled kohlrabi, cut into stick pieces about 1 1/4 inches long and 1/4 inch thick- about the size of a small chip so a food processor is ideal.
    4 tbsp. butter
    1/2 tsp. salt
    About 1/4 tsp. black pepper
    1 tbsp. flour
    1 c. milk
    1/3 c. finely chopped fresh parsley

In a heavy frying pan over medium heat saute onions and kohlrabi in butter until well coated with the butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Cover tightly and cook, stirring occasionally until kohlrabi is tender, about 25 minutes.

Sprinkle with flour and turn to mix. Gradually add milk and cook and gently stir mixture until milk thickens to a smooth sauce. Correct seasoning, adding salt and pepper generously. Stir in parsley. Makes 4 servings.

I had this with new potato's (first ones from the garden - Orlas) boiled in fresh Atlantic Ocean water.

I simply collected seawater on the flood tide (cleaner this way) and boiled the new spuds in it. Strained them, added a good chunk of butter to the pot after returning the potato's with chopped chives.
    Simple, perfect and easy.

This was served with a pork chop dusted in flour and paprika to add a bit of spiciness to the meal.

As a bit extra, I took some Japanese Mustard Greens and stir fried them in the paprika/oil remnants for only about 30 seconds, it really added heat, depth and spice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I only ever tried kohlrabi once. I had to eat a raw lump of it out of politeness and was not exactly delighted with this strange cabbage-turnip hybrid. :D But, I'd be willing to give it a try again perhaps.

You grow your own, but I've never seen kohlrabi on sale in Ireland. Do LIDL maybe have it once in a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I like kohlrabi coleslaw.

Grated carrot and kohlrabi, lemon juice and olive oil, heated with some cumin seeds (the olive oil, that is).
    Very tasty.

Yes Lidl often sell kohlrabi.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have a recipe for a chicken and kohlrabi soup, which I have to say is the only way I've ever cooked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Thanks... I'll try this when I get a chance to buy some.

I usually just have Kolrabi boiled with a drizzle of olive oil and salt/pepper or else with a casserole

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

cant wait to try it in a tagine, one thing I've learnt - next year - less turnip - more lohlrabi in the kitchen garden - with all the recipes I put here, the plan is to use as much from the kitchen garden I set up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

but I've never seen kohlrabi on sale in Ireland.

My local fruit & veg. shop (Tralee) stock it, @ 50c each. They tell me that it's mainly Polish people who buy them.

Advertisement