Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the tube from my front wheel was stolen!

• 19-06-2010 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

I have a 12 year old mountain bike that I keep in the bike racks in the underground carpark. The front wheel wasn't locked and when I checked on it this evening, I noticed the wheel (not quick release) was flat but on closer examination realised the tube was gone. I think the front reflector was taken too. Then I realised the front wheel wasn't mine (different brand and a different shape wheel reflector to the back wheel). I found my wheel in a corner of the car park.

in summary:
    my front wheel was removed and the tube taken. The wheel was abandoned in a corner.
    another mtb wheel minus tube was put on my bike. No idea why.
    I now have 2 front wheels and no tubes for either - my own front wheel and someone else's.

(I know this sounds wierd but I'm not making it up!)

Comments

That is very bizarre indeed. Silly question here but, you sure it's not a tubeless setup?:D

Only scenario I can imagine is another cyclist with a puncture needed a tube ad nicked yours. Strange indeed. Another reason to always lock both wheels I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

ya know what be even more odd is if tomorrow ya come back to your bike and theres a brand new tube hanging from the handlebars lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Gers_punto wrote: »
    ya know what be even more odd is if tomorrow ya come back to your bike and theres a brand new tube hanging from the handlebars lol

That would be nice but highly unlikely! I realised they did take my front wheel off because the one that's on my bike isn't mine (it's different to the back wheel). And then I found my own wheel also minus tube (I'm pretty sure it's mine) in the corner of the bike area on top of a couple of wheel less bike frames.

Yes my lesson learned from today is lock both wheels (and I guess don't leave my bike in the car park :( )

I'm hugely confused:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Perhaps someone with a puncture, decicded to take your wheel, realised it wasn't going to fit, or was worse condition than their own wheel, or would identify them, so just took the tube. What other bikes are usually parked nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

It's really common to steal front wheels when people are stealing bikes.

You take one bike where the front wheel is locked to something, take the wheel off, so you can take then bike. Then steal another front wheel to put on the stolen bike and cycle off.

That's what I figure happened, but your wheel didn't fit for some reason. How the tube came out, I don't know.

p wrote: »
    It's really common to steal front wheels when people are stealing bikes.

You take one bike where the front wheel is locked to something, take the wheel off, so you can take then bike. Then steal another front wheel to put on the stolen bike and cycle off.

That's what I figure happened, but your wheel didn't fit for some reason. How the tube came out, I don't know.

That occurred to me too. Seems like a bizarely conscientious thief to have replaced the front wheel after attempting to steal it though.

Advertisement