Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrabble

Options
  • 19-06-2010 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

Are there any players in Cork?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

I am a bit of a scrabble fan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

I'd love if there was some sort of league or something. I love scrabble, but I feel I'd be a small bit less of a loser if I was playing it in real life rather than online!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I enjoy a game of Scrabble. :D

Not great by any means, but get the odd 5-6 letter. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Bundasbar

Love playing scrabble, usually have to get my fix online playing through facebook but all good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I never knew how poor I was at Scrabble until I played it online. :D

Currently, I have 71 points.
    My opponent has 203.

There's still 39 tiles remaining. :D

EDIT: Only lost by 104 points. :D 217 - 321

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Bundasbar

Larkin91 wrote: »
    I never knew how poor I was at Scrabble until I played it online. :D

Currently, I have 71 points.
    My opponent has 203.

There's still 39 tiles remaining. :D

EDIT: Only lost by 104 points. :D 217 - 321

tis not bad though...it all depends on your tiles too, hate the vowel games i get sometimes:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I wasn't aware that it was the type of game that warranted a scene.

Kold wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that it was the type of game that warranted a scene.
    One way or the other, therein lies the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

i am totally addicted to online scrabble. i play it on lexulous and f.b . would nt mind chescking out a scrabble group if there is such a thing in cork ?

That makes two of us!

• Advertisement

That makes two of us!

you play on lexulous ??:)

Usually in the sowpods junction room, my name is claire_h. Match me if you ever see me!

sows ....:D me too ! Also tourny terrace which is great. varients of scrabble. organised into tourneys
    my name is ajw so feel free to match me too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

Did lexulous used to be called scrabulous or something, I used to play on a site but I don't think it was lexulous but the rooms mentions sound familiar.

A scrabble club would be a great idea, even if it was only meeting in a pub for a game or something, depending on peoples ages of course. :)

yes it was scrabulous. but scrabble closed it down as it was too similar, and i think had copy right problems. now we play with 8 tiles instead of 7. some words allowed are different to the scrabble dictionary. generally its the same though.:)

im not a drinker but would nt be averse to a meet up in a pub and diet coke over a game of scrabble:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

I only suggested a pub as there isn't many places around Cork where you could meet up for something like that other than pubs. Maybe some more people will be interested.

Costigans would be a good place as they have a small room in there which would sit four people comfortably & is seperate from the main bar.

I have'nt played Scrabble in ages.

The pav hosted a knitting group on Tuesday evenings. I think they've taken a break for the summer though.

Anyway, have board, will travel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I'm a regular on lexulous.

UK 1852
    US 1399

good ratings gimmick im on a downward spiral lately. peaked at about 1820 but down to about 1720 now :eek::eek:
    addictive though

My highest was about 1880 when I just could not lose a game for about 3 weeks. Went through a very bad patch before that were I went from about 1850 to 1740. Kept loosing, and it all started when I was actually beating a very high rated player, who quit on me while I was winning - crazyboyinohio. Must have lost 45 of my next 50 games after that.

• Advertisement

I usually play on facebook. My sowpods rating there at the moment is 1890. I never play twl. It's too frustrating that they don't allow perfectly cromulent words like ch and zo. :)

stats:
    Rating Playing Completed Won Lost Drawn Best Bingo
    1890 2 1049 705 339 5 TEASABLE for 157 points.

Average Score / Move Average Score / Game Current Streak Best Streak
    32.10 408.75 2 13

played against a guy one night who said he was nt going to play for a few weeks til the computer dealt him some good letters. he reckoned that it was all fixed . you had a winning streak for a few weeks then terrible letters for weeks on end

my only problem with that theory is i have been losing now for months :):)

Not that crazy a thought. During my most recent losing run, I was forever stuck with 2 u's, 3 i's, v and k etc. Even when I swapped, it get the same if not worse back.

I usually play on facebook. My sowpods rating there at the moment is 1890. I never play twl. It's too frustrating that they don't allow perfectly cromulent words like ch and zo. :)

Thise things really bug me actually. Got stung by a fella playing MM in a game recently. I have issue with QI as well. And some of the 7 letter words are beyond belief. No way are they words.

Best word I ever got was OXIDIZE on a triple. Think I got 140 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭john47

As to original poster question, there is a Scrabble Club in Cork and Bantry, which ever suits, check out http://irishscrabble.org/.

Clubs also in Galway, Belfast and a couple in Wexford and several in Dublin, again check out website above, or contact me John Ryan on wexford.musings.2009@gmail.com.

I and many others on FB, I'm http://en-gb.facebook.com/people/John-Ryan/100000527746555 and through me you can find many more.

Toodles

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1 valerieanne

scrabbleathon in beer garden in goblet bar, evergreen rd, cork city in protest to changes to the game on facebook at 6pm sat 13th. all welcome

Advertisement