Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Eligibility & Grants

Options
  • 19-06-2010 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

Ok I'm 25 and have been offered two masters courses that I am currently weighing up. I was under the impression that since I was over 23 and starting a new course that I would qualify as a mature student for the purposes of getting a grant.

However, I'm just after finishing my undergrad and the council have told me that I have to wait THREE years before I can be considered a mature student for my post grad. Can anyone confirm this? It seems a bit ridiculous to me. I was hoping to be classified as an independant mature student as I have been living away from home since September last. Am I right in saying that this seems to be the only way that the awarding bodies will consider you to be independant and not take your parents income into account? Is their any other way that they will consider you to be self-supporting?

I have never qualified for grant before and won't if my parents income is taken into account but they will not be supporting me. But the council will not consider me to be independant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

OP

Have a look at studentfinance.ie, specifically here: http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7552/i-am-over-23-years-of-age-on-1-1-2008/index.html
    I am Over 23 Years of Age on 01 January 2010
    You are eligible to apply for a grant if you meet either of the following conditions:

I am entering an approved postgraduate course* for the first time in the 2010-11 academic year

OR
    I am entering an approved postgraduate course* in 2010-11 to complete it (for the first time), having previously been a candidate dependent on parents or legal guardians, an after a break of three years or more, having previously entered an approved course*.
    *Approved under either the Higher Education Grants Scheme or the Vocational Education Committee Scholarship Scheme.

Note: If you previously attempted an approved postgraduate course but did not successfully complete it and are now, following a break in your studies of at least five years, returning to pursue an approved course at the same level in 2010-11, you are still considered eligible to apply for a grant.

Doesn't look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭seadnamac

paperclip2 wrote: »
    OP

Have a look at studentfinance.ie, specifically here: http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7552/i-am-over-23-years-of-age-on-1-1-2008/index.html

Doesn't look good.

Yea I had a look there several times but it's just not that clear to me. I have never done a post graduate course before so I am entering a post grad for the first time. So do I not satisfy the first condition? It mentions nothing about having previously done an undergraduate course. Or is that what is being implied in the second clause? It's very bloody vague.

As far as I can see there is no option available to prove to the awarding bodies that you are/will be independant and supporting yourself unless you're over 23, not living at home and have been out of eduction for three years? Surely this is major flaw in the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

From studentfinance.ie
    I am entering an approved postgraduate course* in 2010-11 to complete it (for the first time), having previously been a candidate dependent on parents or legal guardians, an after a break of three years or more, having previously entered an approved course*.

My reading of that is that you are entering a post grad for the first time this year, you completed undergrad last year but now, to be classed as an independent mature candidate, you need to be out of college a minimum of three years.

You can check this with the DES policy unit on Financial Support for Further and Higher Education. They oversee a lot of the regulation on funding in higher ed in Ireland and they do take calls from the public.
    Tel: 057 9325317. Ask for Finian if possible. He's very helpful.

Advertisement