Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'good Iphone games' thread

• 19-06-2010 11:28pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭

A while ago, I would have thought 'good' and 'Iphone games' were two words that didn't fit comfortably together. But they seem to be slowly getting better. I still think the lack of any physical buttons is a major drawback for a gaming device, but developers are starting to adjust to the situation. Problem is, picking out the good stuff from the often overwhelming noise of the app store is sometimes impossible. So thought I'd start this thread to help navigate the app store. Recommend your favourites (or warn us about your least favourites here). Also, prepare for the inevitable 'Apple are ****' posts that are bound to follow :pac:

Anyways, some that I've picked up lately:

Dark Void Zero: got better reviews than the actual Dark Void, so checked it out. Alas, the trip from the DS hasn't been all that kind, mainly in control terms. Another example of how virtual analogue sticks are awkward and fiddly, not up to the task of carrying a twitchy 2D side scroller. The game is well designed, hard as hell but pleasingly retro. The jetpack is win too. Shame the controls let the whole thing down.

Plants vs Zombies: One of the best recent games on any console translates wonderfully to portable form. My favourite game on the IPod touch fo' sho' :)

Robot Unicorn Attack / Canabalt: Initially I was skeptical about paying for games that are available for free online, but at 2 euro or so a pop they don't break the bank. These games - simple high score games - are ridiculously addictive, and adding portability makes quick high score attempts even easier, although it's a shame you don't get any extra content that isn't in their flash equivalents. Robot Unicorn Attack in particular is possibly the best 'one joke' game that has ever existed. One more go, one more uber-camp unicorn running to an Erasure soundtrack :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Robot Unicorn Attack :D
    No way! downloading now
    Hollllldddddd onnnnnnnn ♪♪ to the nigggggghhhhhhhhhttt ♪♪

Good idea for a thread.
    Iphone has some really clever, innovative and damn right additive games

Flight control
    Probably my favourite game
    Review - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6njx7pHBKZY
    price: 79c

Myst
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F4t0KqblRQ
    I would only recommend a purchase if you already played it on the playstation/pc since its a €4 game and not everyone's cup of tea. But the game has the potential to kill many many hours

Angry birds
    Ill put this as my second favourite
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV_v-BSQdKo
    price: 79c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

have you played icopter? so addicting :D
    all ea games (fifa 10 etc) are good but pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

First of i would like to say that the iPod touch is the best pooping/bedside device ever.

Doodle Jump: is a really addictive simple game. €0.79!

Tilt to Live: used to be paid but now FREE grab it before they change their minds!

Virtual Pool: Best pool game on iphone try the free version first.

Rolando: Like loco roco on PSP great game. Bit expensive.

and +1 to all the games before especially canabalt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Ronnie O'Sullivans Snooker: Top class game for 79c.
    I got that flight control recently, excellent game but doesn't have much depth to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

First of i would like to say that the iPod touch is the best pooping/bedside device ever.

I agree with bedside - easiest thing to check emails / have a quick go of Robot Unicorn with in the morning. However, I draw a hygienic line at pooping :p

Couple of others worth mentioning:

Spider - Legend of Bryce Manor: been out a while, but there's a relatively new director's cut that adds new content. Really clever, plus has some surprisingly subtle and intelligent storytelling (everything is told through the environment). Very fun 'webbing' mechanics too. You can also follow a lot of the designer's ideas and goals through his monthly Edge column, which gives a good insight into game design.

Secret Of Monkey Island: it's Monkey Island, and although the controls are naturally awkward, it's still as compulsively playable and hilarious as ever.

Peggle: Again, found a natural home here. Has seen me through many a train journey.

Will have to check out Flight Control too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Flight Control is great.

I'm still not quite sold on iPhone gaming - I find that I can't sit down for long playing a game, so I tend to stick to the simpler ones such as Tilt to Live and Doodle Jump. I have a few 'bigger' (for lack of a better word) games such as Assassin's Creed, N.O.V.A. and Dexter: The Game. Though recognising their quality they just haven't held my attention.

A few of my favourites not mentioned so far:

Zombieville USA: A side-scrolling zombie shooter, good fun (€1.59)

Trace: A platform game where you draw the path that your stick-man walks on (Free).

Moto X Mayhem: A decent motocross game with a ragdoll physics engine that results in hilarious falls (€0.79)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Ronnie O'Sullivans Snooker: Top class game for 79c.
    I got that flight control recently, excellent game but doesn't have much depth to it.

Yeah id agree but its a great high score type game so competing with friends adds your own depth. Also for the first month i had it i didn't know you could change airfields! Clever game though i would consider it a must buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Secret Of Monkey Island: it's Monkey Island, and although the controls are naturally awkward, it's still as compulsively playable and hilarious as ever.
    I hear another adventure game, Broken Sword Director's Cut, controls better than Monkey Island.

Also, how could I not recommend Beneath a Steel Sky :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Tilt to Live - like Geometry Wars but better.

Peggle

Bejewelled 2

Plants vs. Zombies - I only have it on the iPad but it is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I have 3 sites bookmarked that I check every day (guess what they're for!)

http://www.freegameoftheday.com
    http://www.freeappaday.com
    http://www.freeappcalendar.com

Tilt To Live is free at the moment thanks to freeappaday.com, and will probably be free for the next 24 hours at most. You get some great games and apps on all 3 sites, so they're worth a daily visit.

Some recommendations from me:

Any recent games by Donut Games (like Cat Physics (€0.79), Spikey's Bounce Around (€1.59 - free Lite version available) and Paracute). Paracute is free at the moment, as a promotion for their newer game, Cat Physics. If you like The Incredible Machine, then you'll love Cat Physics. All 3 games are worth grabbing.

Space Miner: Space Ore Bust (€3.99, Free Lite Version) is asteroids with lots of purchasable weapons and a borderlands-ish looting mechanic. I've played through it 2 and a half times, and the game clock is showing 17 hours. Great value for money.

Angry Birds (€0.79) is an absolutely huge game and well worth the money. Think Boom Blox on the wii, crossed with Scorched Earth (ask the old people here!)

Espgaluda II is a shooter by Cave, and a cracking game. A bit pricey at €6.99 but I love it. Lite version available, so try it out for free.

Warblade (€0.79, free version available) came out on the PC a long time ago and has recently been ported to the ipod. Its basically Galaga on crack, and one of the best shoot 'em ups on the ipod. Try the Free version to see what you think. For a week after the game came out, I had the 4th highest score in the world (about 1.36bn). Got to level 498 one Saturday morning (took 4 hours). I've dropped to 40th now, and 16th on the Meteorstorm bonus level global leaderboards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Tilt to Live - like Geometry Wars but better.

+1 on Tilt to Live, but better than Geometry Wars? :eek: Possibly as good as a Geometry Wars clone on IPhone will get, but I still love me some twin stick shooting over it :pac:
    Mr E wrote: »

Espgaluda II is a shooter by Cave, and a cracking game. A bit pricey at €6.99 but I love it. Lite version available, so try it out for free.

How does it control on IPhone? Since my IPod Touch is a gen too early to play it, I can't download the lite version to try. I can't imagine playing it without an arcade stick. +1 on the recommendation though, great opportunity to try a Cave game without having to pay 50+ euro to import the region free ones.

How does it control on IPhone? Since my IPod Touch is a gen too early to play it, I can't download the lite version to try. I can't imagine playing it without an arcade stick. +1 on the recommendation though, great opportunity to try a Cave game without having to pay 50+ euro to import the region free ones.

Controls are great. No fiddly virtual D-Pad. It basically uses the whole screen. You move relative to where your finger is on the screen (so if you move your finger left, from any part of the screen, your ship will move left). Works very well. Try the Lite version!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

backbreaker is a very good iphone game
    i cant remember what price it is but its under 2 euro

Controls are great. No fiddly virtual D-Pad. It basically uses the whole screen. You move relative to where your finger is on the screen (so if you move your finger left, from any part of the screen, your ship will move left). Works very well. Try the Lite version!

I'd love to try it, but it only supports the latest models :( Are there seperate buttons for laser / rapid fire / shield / 'overdrive' mode too? And how many modes? (Just curious again to compare it with the 360 version in case Cave release any more ports in the future).

Arcade Mode and iPhone Mode. There are 3 difficulty levels (novice, normal, hard) and each type has 3 different control systems: Simplified (autofire, auto barrier), Normal (autofire, manual barrier), Expert (Shot on/off, manual barrier, and a shot change button).

In other words, lots of options depending on your skill level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Not a day goes by when I don't play Dance Dance Revolution (the 1st one, laggier but you don't pay for song packs :mad:) and Space Invaders Infinity Gene.

Was browsing last night and saw that Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 is now available on the app store :eek: On one hand, the nostalgia! On the other hand, can the IPhone handle something so fast-paced and button heavy? Hmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

:shift: is a good puzzler platform in the same vain as Portal (it plays homage to it in more than one way...."the timer is a lie" etc)

Yeah I agree, great but tricky! Especially the levels with spikes.
    Shift was free last week on one of the sites I linked earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Yeah I agree, great but tricky! Especially the levels with spikes.
    Shift was free last week on one of the sites I linked earlier.

Little trick I found was that when you are standing by the spikes.....as it comes up, shift from white to black or vise versa and you are still alive and the spikes continue to go on, giving you the oppurtunity to finish the level at your leisure.

• Advertisement

Warblade is free today, courtesy of http://freegameoftheday.com/
    One of the best games on the platform by far...

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

Hector - Badge of Carnage - reviewed here. Quite a short point and clicker, but monkey island-esque humour. Worth a download

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Space Invaders: Infinity Gene is a total shoot-em-up classic, and it even syncs to your music! So.. sort of like a toned-down Beat Hazard with some classic Space Invaders elements.
    It's also got a serious evolution\Darwinist theme in it, which I found quite cool.

Tap Tap Revenge is great, although it's a shame that you now have to pay for most DLC. Shame really. Also, not liking the whole "RPG" system they've added. I don't want to level up my character, I want to play a music game! The first one was superior, do pick up "Tap Tap Revenge Classic"

Canabalt is AMAZING. Just go to canabalt.com and you'll see why. Buy it. Really.

I'm still waiting on that Audiosurf port though. Seriously, make it happen.

What really annoys me about Iphone games, are the car games. They are actually really good games but you have to sit there and move like a plank to turn corners. Whilst there are some people out there like that , why dont they give us the option of using the pad ? ? ?

Another good one from the freegameoftheday site... Chain Link Pro. Probably free until some time tomorrow, but grab it while you can. Ridiculously addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Another good one from the freegameoftheday site... Chain Link Pro. Probably free until some time tomorrow, but grab it while you can. Ridiculously addictive.

Downloading now.

Another good one today - Sentinel 2.

Really polished tower defense game. I'm not normally a fan, but this is great.
    Free until midnight tonight.

By the way, if you're looking for a logic puzzle game, you won't get many better than Pathpix. 169 levels that will last you a long long long time. Early levels can be completed in minutes, but I spent most of the weekend (on and off) on level 160. :)

Then when you finish all of those, you can grab Pathpix Pro, which is another 300 levels for intermediate to expert players.

There is a lite version of Pathpix in the app store (for free), so no excuse not to try it out. It really is the only thing I'm playing on the ipod touch at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Madden 2010 is surprisingly good. The touch controls are well implemented and one of the few sports sims to work on the iPhone. Haven't really played a Madden game since the Megadrive, but it's a lot of fun.

• Advertisement

Two good free games today.

Mega Jump
    Jump O'Clock

Advertisement